Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Boro play a 5 man midfield how does 4-4-2 counteract this?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It could simply involve Steve Sidwell, as was the case at Birmingham, until such time as we need either a...

Plan B: Shit - they've scored, we now need two.
Plan C: Seventy-five minute stalemate achieved, let's throw the works at them now.

Exactly this. Had the same discussion in the pub after Mondays game. I'd play Sidwell just behind Hemed and try and win the midfield. Then with 20 minutes left, if all square, throw everything at it.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Is anyone deliberating with the Murphy over Skalak option ? I have to say I've been wondering.

The game will be played at such a high tempo that I think Skalak will be out of his depth. I want to like him, but Murphy for me.

As we saw in the Derby game, they gave him no time on the ball and was completely ineffective from open play. We can't have that at Middlesbrough, especially if they put 5 in midfield.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Same 10 with Greer replacing Dunk. Hit the channels for Skalak, Knocker and Baldock, by-pass midfield where Clayton & Leadbitter are strong, cut the service to Adamoah and shoot on-site againt Dimi, who I don't rate at all. Job done.
Karanka won't change his style, too much like Gus, no plan B. No pressure on us, go for the jugular early (ala Newcastle 79, my favourite ever away day), take the crowd out of the equation and Premier league here we are...... Bit simplistic but keeping the faith!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I hate the cheesy variants on this phrase but Saturday really IS a case of

Keep Calm and Give It To Knockaert.

Glad I scanned through the thread to check if someone else had already said it.
Just. Give. It. To. Knockaert.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Who would be CH having to choose the team for this? He's got it right far more often than not. Go on Chris, let us adore you

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Really not sure which way he'll go, but I trust that there will be plenty of logic and rationale behind his decision. I can actually see the logic in almost trying to keep the game at 0-0 til about 65-70mins, hoping that Boro will get nervy, and then suddenly ATTACK.

My sentiments exactly. Perversely, for a game we need to win, I believe our best chance is to have a tight, safety-first mentality until around 70 minutes. If we can hold them at 0-0 until then, we have a very good chance. It will leave Boro in a nervous, awkward situation - they're aren;t going to flood forward to score, but instead will need to concentrate on the clean sheet. This will enable us to use the extra space and take risks with both player selection and our tactics.

With regard to personnel, Baldock's role is pivotal; we need a striker to mix it with their midfielders, or Stephens and Kayal could be outgunned. We have the advantage of a (miserable) dress rehearsal earlier in the season so we'll no doubt avoid the same tactics this time round...

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
My sentiments exactly. Perversely, for a game we need to win, I believe our best chance is to have a tight, safety-first mentality until around 70 minutes. If we can hold them at 0-0 until then, we have a very good chance. It will leave Boro in a nervous, awkward situation - they're aren;t going to flood forward to score, but instead will need to concentrate on the clean sheet. This will enable us to use the extra space and take risks with both player selection and our tactics.

With regard to personnel, Baldock's role is pivotal; we need a striker to mix it with their midfielders, or Stephens and Kayal could be outgunned. We have the advantage of a (miserable) dress rehearsal earlier in the season so we'll no doubt avoid the same tactics this time round...
Didn't they score with 3 close in headers at the AMEX.. lets hope GG can fill Dunks shoes and stop this

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Same 10 with Greer replacing Dunk. Hit the channels for Skalak, Knocker and Baldock, by-pass midfield where Clayton & Leadbitter are strong, cut the service to Adamoah and shoot on-site againt Dimi, who I don't rate at all. Job done.
Karanka won't change his style, too much like Gus, no plan B. No pressure on us, go for the jugular early (ala Newcastle 79, my favourite ever away day), take the crowd out of the equation and Premier league here we are...... Bit simplistic but keeping the faith!!!

Very much agree with this, we shall have to play to our strengths, which is essentially play 442 and get the wingers flying forward. If we hit a brick wall or are clearly getting overrun then we should adjust.

It's a contrast of styles and should be an intrguing if agonising game to watch.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Didn't they score with 3 close in headers at the AMEX.. lets hope GG can fill Dunks shoes and stop this

I was thinking more about the game overall, we created very little and there's no doubt they had the measure of our midfield. Let's be straight here, as an attacking threat we looked utterly impotent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Everyone is assuming Kayal will be fit enough to play on Saturday.

Having spent the last 15 mins of Monday limping around the pitch, holding his thigh, playing at Boro isn't a banker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone is assuming Kayal will be fit enough to play on Saturday.

Having spent the last 15 mins of Monday limping around the pitch, holding his thigh, playing at Boro isn't a banker.

He's had that injury for months now. Here's hoping he can give his all for a final 90 minutes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also our favoured central defensive partnership, Gibson and Ayala, have only ever lost once when they have played together- last season away at Fulham when our keeper came up for a corner in the last minute and we got caught on the break.

Impressive record. Unfortunately for you, it is also completely bollocks. They played together in your last big game. At Wembley. When you lost. And conceded two.

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 15.18.35.png

seagull51

Dec 30, 2009
My best guess would be a 4-1-2-1-2 sort of formation. The diamond in the middle can usually hold its own against the 5 man midfield and it allows for the right and left backs to make aggressive quick breaks. This would also cover greers lack of pace pretty well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yup you are right Bozza- but that game wasnt at the Riverside, it was at Wembley

Nor was the game at Fulham that you mentioned was the only time you'd lost. I guess if you keep pretending certain games didn't happen, you can keep this impressive stat going for a long time.

Let me help: Boro have never lost a game where Ayala and Gibson started together, when Boro were at home, it was a Saturday, the date had a 4 in it, and the opposition played in white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here