Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Ashley Barnes leaves how will he be remembered?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
This.

Always gave 100%, cost relatively little and was not one of the higher paid players, but weighed in with goals and happy to contribute in midfield battles when required. Tenacious and never intimidated by opponents. Liked by the quiet majority of Albion fans, slagged off by a noisy minority many of whom were not regulars at Withdean and who did not appreciate his total contribution to the Albion's ascent.
Great post.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Gutted about Barnes leaving. Think he's been fantastic for us. From my point of view, and I know he's made some mistakes, he has been amazing value for money (about £100K wasn't it) and has score some very important goals for us, including the one that got us promoted from League 1 against Dagenham.

Ironically, his last performance for us was one of his best. Thought he was great against Reading. I would say Bournemouth away was probably his best goals!

I understand the argument about him being out of contract but if it is really £750K, I think we've let him go too cheaply. £750K isn't that much for a Championship striker and it has probably reduced our chances of going up. Still we have to trust Tony Bloom and Paul Barber.

Finally, if it is true that his decision might have been impacted by the way he's treated by some supporters, then I hope they're happy. I'm sure they'll be delighted until he starts scoring for Burnley (including against us) and then they'll blame someone else.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gutted about Barnes leaving. Think he's been fantastic for us. From my point of view, and I know he's made some mistakes, he has been amazing value for money (about £100K wasn't it) and has score some very important goals for us, including the one that got us promoted from League 1 against Dagenham.

Ironically, his last performance for us was one of his best. Thought he was great against Reading. I would say Bournemouth away was probably his best goals!

I understand the argument about him being out of contract but if it is really £750K, I think we've let him go too cheaply. £750K isn't that much for a Championship striker and it has probably reduced our chances of going up. Still we have to trust Tony Bloom and Paul Barber.

Finally, if it is true that his decision might have been impacted by the way he's treated by some supporters, then I hope they're happy. I'm sure they'll be delighted until he starts scoring for Burnley (including against us) and then they'll blame someone else.

True. Which player will the miseries blame for future home draws or losses?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I'll remember him as always falling over holding his head whenever he went up for a header.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't know what you got till its gone ...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A player who always gave 110%

A player who has scored some very important and impressive goals.

A player who proved to be an absolute bargain for us.

A player that divided opinion like never before.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I will always remember him for his part in the Dagenham game at Withdean when promotion was confirmed and the odd patch of red mist

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Quality player. Made things happen. Gave his all. Passionate, occasionally stupidly so. Scored some excellent goals. Consistently got less credit and more grief from the fans than he deserved.

I very much hope we don't regret selling him ...

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
A player who worked hard.
A player who took and missed plenty of opportunities in front of goal.
A player who was often played out of position.
A player who too often (metaphorically and literally) saw red.
A player who scored the goal that clinched promotion from league 1.
A player who gave his all.

Good luck Ashley.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Consistently inconsistent,never our best player but always put in a shift,scored some important goals for us,glad we signed him,have always liked the bloke.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Hard-working;scored some very useful goals; never really appeared to have made one position his own but made the most of wherever he was played; sometimes hot-headed; will be missed in the short term but not irreplaceable. A good Championship player but didn't really suggest he would have a big impact in the Premiership.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I liked him. He just wasn't good enough. That's how he will be remembered. A player who just wasn't quite good enough. Sorry Ashley.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As one of the oldest looking 24 year olds ever to wear a Brighton shirt. Apart from that, a BHA legend. Cheers for everything Ash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here