Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If anyone doesn't want their fivers I will happily take them off you.......

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Enough of one that it reached here? It's a bit thoughtless of someone but that's about it. My point, as was Paul Reid's I think, is that it's not worth even a few tweets and these people need to find something better to do with their time? Rather like me really...

That is no great measure of the size of a protest, people on here will moan about almost anything.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
The counter argument in the comments section below the article:

803. Posted by davyboy
on
Just now
As a carnivore I am offended by the vegan and vegetarian stance on animal products.
I demand that they make a new £10 note made entirely out of leather and promise that all coins are at least ten percent bone from now on.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it's no more ridiculous than the veggie stance.

Most people really couldn't give a flying naughty word.

:lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree, can't be that hard to produce bank notes with no animal byproducts in them. I would suggest this would be an easy fix that would be accepting of a group of people's way of life. Prbably should have thought this through when they made them. Any way no need for drama and outrage.

the actual tweet says there is a trace in the source polymer pellets. it may be that comes from industrial processing rather than being in the plastic. it turns out that tallow is the source for stearic acid, used in a lot of industry as a softener for plastics (possibly here) and as a lubricant. probably anything injection moulded will have a trace, tyres and batteries use it. so probably not easy to fix and our veggie/vegan friends need to stop using an awful lot of items.

How do these people wash? Most bars of soap have tallow.

they have vegitarian soap and shampoo. im enjoying the irony that the containers for these probably still have some tallow-source compounds.

we should really embrace this, it shows how nothing goes to waste from the animals.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
the actual tweet says there is a trace in the source polymer pellets. it may be that comes from industrial processing rather than being in the plastic. it turns out that tallow is the source for stearic acid, used in a lot of industry as a softener for plastics (possibly here) and as a lubricant. probably anything injection moulded will have a trace, tyres and batteries use it. so probably not easy to fix and our veggie/vegan friends need to stop using an awful lot of items..

Lots of probablys, possiblys and maybes there. I would imagine that if they get enough signatures then the manufacturers will be asked to look into it to see what can be done. If this is what is important to people then they are well within their rights to try and get something done about it.

What I don't get is why people think that it is up to them to tell others what they should and shouldn't be concerned about. They don't 'need' to stop using anything, people make their own lifestyle choices, good on them for standing up for what they believe in I say.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think they should go the whole HOG and make fivers out of BACON*

*I may not have fully thought this through

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
A lot of the comments on here seem to be along the lines of: 'X is also not OK for vegans, so they are stupid for caring about Y not being vegan as they are presumably coming into contact with animal products constantly on a daily basis'.

This argument seems to be incredibly unfair. I agree that our daily life is filled with the product of animals to such an incredible extent that being a true vegan is virtually impossible. But why should the near impossibiliy of their task be their fault? It is, rightly or wrongly, a product of how society is.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Lots of probablys, possiblys and maybes there. I would imagine that if they get enough signatures then the manufacturers will be asked to look into it to see what can be done. If this is what is important to people then they are well within their rights to try and get something done about it.

What I don't get is why people think that it is up to them to tell others what they should and shouldn't be concerned about. They don't 'need' to stop using anything, people make their own lifestyle choices, good on them for standing up for what they believe in I say.

Lifestyle choice = don't use the thing with that ingredient in
Forcing lifestyle on others = nobody use the thing with that ingredient

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
EnRest, if it were in any way possible I would bite your arm off. But sadly no. you've got me harrassing you for at least another 3 months! :lol:

Careful, Ernest's arm contains MEAT.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Lifestyle choice = don't use the thing with that ingredient in
Forcing lifestyle on others = nobody use the thing with that ingredient

I'd taking the stuff out of the thing makes no difference to others where is the problem?

Your life will not be affected in the slightest by the change so why complain?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lots of probablys, possiblys and maybes there.

thats because im not a materials scientist or industrial user of the chemicals. commentry i've read else where isnt so cautious, one said you'd have to create a new supply chain of alternative chemical feedstocks, i.e. not going to happen for one product.

What I don't get is why people think that it is up to them to tell others what they should and shouldn't be concerned about.

you mean like vegetarians and vegan? hows the joke go:
how do you tell if someone is a vegan?
dont worry, they'll tell you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
thats because im not a materials scientist or industrial user of the chemicals. commentry i've read else where isnt so cautious, one said you'd have to create a new supply chain of alternative chemical feedstocks, i.e. not going to happen for one product.

you mean like vegetarians and vegan? hows the joke go:
how do you tell if someone is a vegan?
dont worry, they'll tell you.

Lots of people on this thread shouting the odds, no one has said they are a vegan yet.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apparently, the banknotes they replaced (and therefore all other denominations in circulation) also contain traces of tallow. Who knew (or cared)?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Go read Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution', it might help your understanding of life in general, and my earlier point.

Oh I've read it and I'm sure you apply it everyday as you ubermensch your way around sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here