If a manager is going to moan about the budget (and injuries) publicly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting comment, coming a week after we beat the league leaders.

Something's going on here.

Well if it's a "ceiling" statement he's going about it in quite a classy way, don't you think?

Have to confess I am a little concerned about where the managerial/coaching situation may be heading. I REALLY REALLY want Oscar here next season.

*thinksaboutwettingthebed*

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That is EXACTLY what Oscar is saying. Well sort, of. That if we hadn't been so ridiculously unlucky with injuries this season, then we should/would already be sitting pretty in the top 6.

And I think he's right.

It's slightly disappointing that, on the eve of our biggest game of the season, this headline/article combo has been published. It's a time for all associated with the club to pull together. We need the fans to be backing Oscar and the team, not thinking "If Oscar doesn't like what he's got, he can do one..." or similar.

Get the Amex properly rocking tomorrow, be the 12th man and show that we are a top 6 team.

Absolutely right.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Well if it's a "ceiling" statement he's going about it in quite a classy way, don't you think?

Have to confess I am a little concerned about where the managerial/coaching situation may be heading. I REALLY REALLY want Oscar here next season.

Totally. A refreshing change from the GP moaning and a lot more professional. I hope Oscar is being backed/supported in the way he deserves.

As you know I'm not happy with the managerial/coaching situation atm, but can't see things improving unless Oscars issues are resolved. Whether people think OG's the right man to take us forward or not, player recruitment issues seem to have affected Poyet too so it's becoming a concern now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Spot on. I'm well and truly on the OsCAR (to revive a phrase from the past) and think all of those on here thinking that some hoof merchant is a superior option are [fill in blank]

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He's merely stating the obvious. He's correct, the squad is not deep enough to cope with the level of injuries and suspensions we have had. I don't really read anything sinister into those comments at all.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They'll get the biggest fine in FFP history ( along with Forest and QPR ).

Oh, maybe the FL will roll over and not fine anyone afterall.

Representatives from the 24 clubs met the FL on Tuesday to discuss "improvements" to the FFP regulations in light of clubs relegated from the Premier League receiving an additional £12M over 4 years in parachute payments boosting that sum to £60M. Any changes to the rules needs at least 18 clubs voting in favour. So basically we all know what is about to unfold and the cheating clubs will get away with it with a smile on their faces.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Argus have changed the headline on the article to:

"Oscar: Injury-hit Albion squad has not been deep enough to be in top six"

I wonder why that is...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is EXACTLY what Oscar is saying. Well sort, of. That if we hadn't been so ridiculously unlucky with injuries this season, then we should/would already be sitting pretty in the top 6.

And I think he's right.

It's slightly disappointing that, on the eve of our biggest game of the season, this headline/article combo has been published. It's a time for all associated with the club to pull together. We need the fans to be backing Oscar and the team, not thinking "If Oscar doesn't like what he's got, he can do one..." or similar.

Get the Amex properly rocking tomorrow, be the 12th man and show that we are a top 6 team.

Bloody hell, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :clap: :clap:

You tell 'em :lol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They'll get the biggest fine in FFP history ( along with Forest and QPR ).

Oh, maybe the FL will roll over and not fine anyone afterall.

Why do you think Bournemouth will get a big fine? Are you assuming they are going up via the play-offs? Equally, both Forest and QPR can't both be fined and on the basis QPR fail to get up then neither will be fined (because let's be honest, Forest have blown it).

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
As much as I agree we've been EXTREMELY unlucky with injuries this season, and that Oscar has done an impressive job to get us into play-off contention, i'd disagree with any comments about our depth.

Granted the main 3 have been injured for a lot of this season (if not all of it), we've at most points of the season had 4/5 strikers for whom we are paying wages. Ulloa, CMS, Hoskins, Rodriguez and Barnes, who was replaced by Lita/Obika (as poor as they were) still meant we technically had 4 strikers, and yes I know 2 haven't played, but that's down to us being extremely unfortunate with injuries rather than a lack of depth.

In midfield, we've got 4 wingers, of whom 3 when fit/on form would walk into pretty much every Championship squad in Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi. They are backed up by the likes of March, Lopez, Lingaard, and Rodriguez who can play in that position. Obviously the 3 first choice wingers have again been injured for large parts, but we still have 3 or 4 VERY good Championship wingers on our books. We then have Agustein, Andrews, Crofts, Ince, Forster Caskey, and Stephens in the middle of the park.

In fact i'd say it's only the back 4 where we are a bit more limited in terms of cover, and we've been lucky in that that's where we've been least affected by injury this season.

We've got strength in depth, it's just extremely unfortunate that this season the injuries have been f*cking relentless. Although with 3 or 4 of these players we knew fitness was an issue before we signed them. Still, to be seventh all things considered is pretty good going.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The Argus have changed the headline on the article to:

"Oscar: Injury-hit Albion squad has not been deep enough to be in top six"

I wonder why that is...

What did the headline say before?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Talking of injuries in his press conference today he mentioned Kemy was now back in training, I must have missed when he was injured in the first place

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No. It is "squad has not been deep enough to be in top six" not get in the top six. All it is saying is the squad is not deep enough to be in the top six, now. It says nothing about if he he thinks it is deep enough to get into the play-offs come the end of the season.

Pretty sure it wasn't that. The headline implied that Oscar thought the squad is not good for the play-offs. The article said nothing like that, hence the reason it has been changed.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I think we have a pretty big squad actually, but I suppose most of the players aren't good enough to sustain a play off bid. Probably because we sold Bridcutt, El Abd and Barnes.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As much as I agree we've been EXTREMELY unlucky with injuries this season, and that Oscar has done an impressive job to get us into play-off contention, i'd disagree with any comments about our depth.

Granted the main 3 have been injured for a lot of this season (if not all of it), we've at most points of the season had 4/5 strikers for whom we are paying wages. Ulloa, CMS, Hoskins, Rodriguez and Barnes, who was replaced by Lita/Obika (as poor as they were) still meant we technically had 4 strikers, and yes I know 2 haven't played, but that's down to us being extremely unfortunate with injuries rather than a lack of depth.

In midfield, we've got 4 wingers, of whom 3 when fit/on form would walk into pretty much every Championship squad in Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi. They are backed up by the likes of March, Lopez, Lingaard, and Rodriguez who can play in that position. Obviously the 3 first choice wingers have again been injured for large parts, but we still have 3 or 4 VERY good Championship wingers on our books. We then have Agustein, Andrews, Crofts, Ince, Forster Caskey, and Stephens in the middle of the park.

In fact i'd say it's only the back 4 where we are a bit more limited in terms of cover, and we've been lucky in that that's where we've been least affected by injury this season.

We've got strength in depth, it's just extremely unfortunate that this season the injuries have been f*cking relentless. Although with 3 or 4 of these players we knew fitness was an issue before we signed them. Still, to be seventh all things considered is pretty good going.

I Notice that your strength in depth list includes two development players that never played a first team game before this season and another who has only done so a handful of times, players we have only had since January and players we lost in January, and of the 2 strikers that haven't played, CMS was expected out till Christmas and Hoskins for the whole season.

If you compare ours to the squads of others, it is pretty slim.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I Notice that your strength in depth list includes two development players that never played a first team game before this season and another who has only done so a handful of times, players we have only had since January and players we lost in January, and of the 2 strikers that haven't played, CMS was expected out till Christmas and Hoskins for the whole season.

If you compare ours to the squads of others, it is pretty slim.

Granted on the young players, but we've given them professional contracts so they have to count as a part of our squad, otherwise we'd sign replacements.

You can't not count CMS and Hoskins just because they're injured, we're still paying them very good wages, so bringing in another 1/2 strikers isn't going to be affordable. They are our players, on our books, and therefore count as part of our squad. Our squad is more than deep enough to cope with a normal quota of injuries, it's just this season we've been extremely unlucky. Burnley have 3 proper strikers (2 until Barnes arrived), as do QPR, Reading, Ipswich, and so on.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Many managers who are doubting they will make it, come up with ready made excuses to explain their failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports