Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idols with feet of clay

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Gazwag said:
Did he do six step overs and then pass the pen back to an opposition fan

No, he was eating a chocolate muffin at the same time as signing autographs. Stepovers would have been too much to expect in terms of multitasking - he is a man, remember.

Sep 20, 2005
"Sir" Patrick Moore is the biggest racist I've ever met in my life. Two minutes after I'd been introduced he told a "joke" that took my breath away.
Eddie Izzard is an arrogant, unpleasant twat.
Jay Kay is a nice man.
Norman Cook is a really, really nice guy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
clapham_gull said:
The worst experience I ever had was with a television/radio presenter who was in low point of his career.

Previous to that he was very famous, and now has become more recognised for his radio work.

Sounds like Alan Partridge. Did you work at Radio Norwich?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
clapham_gull said:
The worst experience I ever had was with a television/radio presenter who was in low point of his career.

Previous to that he was very famous, and now has become more recognised for his radio work.
I'm trying to work out who this is. I really wish you were so indiscreet as to let us know who this tosser is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I worked for a TV and film company and met quite a few 'names' such as Ridley Scott and Richard Attenborough. Without exception they were really polite and friendly. In fact I'm really struggling to think of one who wasn't. Mind you that might have been due to the fact that the organisation I worked for helped them get their films made so I wasn't really talking to them as a member of the public.

In that respect the best 'star' I ever met was undoubtedly Fred Truman. My brother and I spent an afternoon talking to him in the beer tent at Arundel during on 'Old Sussex v Old England match' and he was just happy to spend the whole time talking about cricket.

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
clapham_gull said:
I've always worked for television companies after that (in non production roles) and the nature of the job usually means that I comes across famous people from time to time, usually these days in a lift or in a toilet.

It was my first job at my new company (which was pretty much shifting boxes about)

I had to take something into a studio and the said presenter followed me in after his usual routine of getting shit faced in the pub before doing his presenting for the recorded programme.

Pissed off his head, his phone rang and he stood in the doorway of the studio and refused to let me past until his phone call finished a good 15 minutes later.

(Even shifting side to side as I tried to get out)

When he phone call finished, he sarcastically stood to one side to let me out.

Tosser.
CHRIS EVANS?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Seagullible said:
Denise Van Outen is really nice and very down to earth off camera - met them when I was on Big Breakfast

I knew her before she was as big as she is now, when she was part of fledgling pop due Those Two Girls, and she was a proper little madam thinking she was right above everybody else. Didn't like her at all, but maybe she's changed.

In terms of sportsmen, I chatted to Kenny Logan (Scottish International Rugby player, husband of Gabby) once and he was very well mannered and friendly. A thoroughly nice chap.

Jamie Theakston, despite some of the press reports, is a jolly decent (local) bloke too

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm the sort of fanciful guy who meets celebrities wherever he goes, considering i'm a bit black, gorgeous with those neanderthal eyes women love to be emotionally clubbed with, and have a 6-packed gut in all my sex photos where the ladies have lunch or leave their dirty laundry to dry.
Walking in the street with my cane, fake-diamond-encrusted bowler hat and incessant wink a lot of people say WHO ARE YOU, knowing it's my personal catchphrase. I chuckle, of course, making out i know who they are too and to take care of themselves, that peace is the most important thing we have, and that Africa is where we all began, both spiritually and racially. Some people expand my sayings to a level i just don't get, adding a couple of words like STROPPICANT and TWATTABEE and IMGOINGTOFOLLOWYOUTILYOUDI. Still, what can i do other than just smile back, raise a thumb of support for whatever they choose in their lives and finish with the joining of devotional hands, parted at the finger family's middle, like a priestly Spock might hold.
I don't go out as much as i used to. Prefer just my own company more now, and the wife, of course. I let her feel like the governor, like she's in charge, even though it's my mum's death that willed us this house and my dole money that pays for the ready meal dinners and single organic vegetables we have each week. Relationships are often best kept theatrical for each other's comfort. But i still go down the shops when she asks/tells me to, with that little list i manage to somehow influence, and see the fans, who'll never really forget me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bluejuice said:

Jamie Theakston, despite some of the press reports, is a jolly decent (local) bloke too

I can second that. Met him at a party about five years ago and he was thoroughly pleasant; big Sussex fan too.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
SussexSpur said:
Gary Lineker, very cold and up-himself, though maybe this seemed exaggerated by the contrast with Trevor Brooking who was with him at the time and couldn't have been friendlier. (This was before hearing all the circulating stories about what an unpleasant sleaze Lineker is anyway.)
Agreed. Mr Brooking is a top bloke

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've met Blofeld as well and thought he was pretty decent. In fact, I've somehow blagged in to the TMS 50th birthday party in the Lord's long room in a couple of weeks, so I might see him again. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Anyway: Ian Botham's a ****. John Major's a top bloke. Pete Waterman is very boring.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bill Oddie is fairly dull but likeable. Agree about Jamie Theakston who is a genuinely nice guy as is Vernon Kay (and his missus was charming). Meeting Peter Kaye was like talking to your brother. Nice bloke and very funny.

John McCrirrick was one of the few people I have ever met who I would never want to see again! Completely arrogant, racist, sexist, bone idle good for nothing wanker

Divina McCall was so far up her own fanny she smelt of fish and Chris Evans was right up there with her!

On the sports front Ian Botham and Alan Lamb are arrogant bastards with over-inflated egos. Bobby Charlton was marginally a bigger arsehole than brother Jackie.

David Dein was the nicest bloke I've ever met in football with time for everyone and the Gold brothers at Birmingham are genuinely good company (as is their daughter). David Sullivan is real value for money...passionate and opinionated - a nice guy one minute and hateful the next. Ferguson was arrogant when I saw him at a function but not as bad as Gordon Banks or Geoff Hurst.who were seriously up their own arses. Bryan Robson is a tosser but I met Martin O'Neill recently and he was sorted.

If you like cookery shows Gordon Ramsey is a seriously good bloke as is Jamie Oliver but Gary Rhodes is a pompous ass and Worrell-Thompson is the most disliked man on the celeb cookery circuit and for good reason - a complete wanker :lolol:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
For about the 100th time on here let me regail you my Mark McGhee story.

Growing up on an RAF base a few miles out of Aberdeen, I started following the 'local' team, they only went and bloody won a European Trophy and McGhee was me hero along with Gordon Strachan.

Anyway, my sister gets invited to some Oil Company Kids Party with her mate and Mark McGhee is playing Santa with another DONS legend.

All I can say that it was my first introduction to the DOUR, MISERABLE CHISLA, that would come to epitomise all that was wrong with our beloved club over the past few years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here