Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Iconic songs that YOU think are crap

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Anything by Suzi Quattro and Shaking Stevens too.

Thread title - Iconic songs that YOU think are crap.

You - Anything by Shaking Stevens.
Fair enough Mike that you think his songs are crap, I’m also not a fan, but I can’t think of one iconic song by him. :lolol:

Plenty of others on this thread naming random acts that they don’t like rather than actual ICONIC songs. :moo:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Thread title - Iconic songs that YOU think are crap.

You - Anything by Shaking Stevens.
Fair enough Mike that you think his songs are crap, I’m also not a fan, but I can’t think of one iconic song by him. :lolol:

Plenty of others on this thread naming random acts that they don’t like rather than actual ICONIC songs. :moo:

Bit odd, some people posting answers not related to the question. How unusual.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Delighted to see Imagine, Wonderwall, Hey Jude and Sweeeeeeet Caroline mentioned in this thread.

All absolute garbage. Proper fingernails on a blackboard tripe.

I'll add 'Every Breath You Take' to list.

Awful.

And any song that rhymes 'tonight' with 'alright' unless it's been done to take the piss out of songs that rhyme 'tonight's with 'alright'.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I can’t stand most artists big hits, Bowie for example was a great artist but the majority of his ‘hits’ possibly culminating with the lamentable ‘Let’s Dance’ errrmm let’s not... leave me cold.

I’d rather listen to his early stuff, even the Laughing Gnome - yep that’s right, utter madness, than that bilge he put out (for the most part) in the 80s.

Whilst I’m on the 80s was SHIT. Terrible drum sound, over reliance on Casio synths ... awful fashion, awful politics... awful era.

I also have dislike for accented singing, I used to love the small faces but find Stevie and co cringeworthy when I hear his early cockney pickpocket owwwwtii tootie too dah etc. Jesus it’s not aged well.

So naturally I hate the Proclaimers with an absolute passion and as for a white guy insulting people everywhere with piss poor cool runnings impressions, well UB40 can do one too... awful, beyond parody gutter spunk.

Dire Straits were passable I suppose, but I have a real problem with Twisting by the Pool, by God it’s so bad it literally hurts... even money for nothing is a tacky over loud mess, reeking of that shoulder pad strutting sodastream toting 80s nadir. Urghhhh I feel sick. And yes, I guess that was the ‘point’ , but even with a pinch of irony it’s dated like a packet of bean sprouts that have lingered too long in the fridge.

I’m off to listen to Gnidrolog.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Have you still got that in a box sleeve on vinyl from the time? It’s still in my collection.

I've been up in the loft!!

Still have it ... and of course the boxed copy is 79 and 80 :thumbsup:

IMG_2729.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what the record is behind on the left???

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Anything by Queen apart from seven seas of Rye.

Anything by Elton John except (popped up on iPod today) Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding

I've got the music in me (see above, plus Kinky Deed).

And my most heartfelt votes go for almost everything by the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, and Springsteen (apart from the Born to Run album).

Most highly commercially succesful pop is, like Johnson, m'eh at best and 'get you ****ing tank of my lawn' at worst.

Credence Clearwater Revival. Meatloaf. Bachman Turnip Overarse. **** right off.

There is more but I'd rather not think about it :facepalm:

Well, that explains everything. You hate lots of stuff that I like and me vice versa. 😀

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
My wife has looked over my shoulder while reading this thread and demanded that I mention that she hates Mull Of Kintyre and particularly the bagpipes in the song.

OK ... so I had to check ... and yes, I do still have my copy of MOK!! :facepalm:

IMG_2731.jpeg

My line of defence will be that it was a Double A side and I bought it for that (whatever that was) :D

And ... I haven't played it since 1977 ... honest :whistle:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wrong coloured stripes ... Parallel Lines is B&W. Plastic Letters behind on the right was obviously a distraction!

Plastic Letters was definitely a distraction, what colour are the stripes on this sleeve? They look black and white to me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think there are now three McCartney songs mentioned on this thread, all of them are true to the thread title for me :thumbsup:

It’s McCartney’s awfully dull ballads that really grind you down. But I’d replace ‘Hey Jude’ with ‘Yesterday’:

Yesterday
Let It Be
The Long and Winding Road

So why do I rate Hey Jude? Well for a start, Lennon helped with the normally simple McCartney lyrics giving good advice on keeping the line ‘the movement you need is on your shoulder’.

But more importantly, the song begins as yet another super-dull McCartney ballad but it’s all about the outro. The song is the outro! The contrast between the initial boring verse-chorus-verse and long, energetic, building and sing-a-long inducing outro makes this song an absolute winner. In fact, this song is a game changer. I challenge any NSCer to find an earlier pop song where the main hook is in the outro and outro is super long. I remember hearing this song as a young child, luckily I managed to get to the end before I fast forwarded the track on my cassette player, it’s an absolute and deserved classic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here