Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ice hockey player dies after accidental neck cut

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I was reading about that this morning, mentioned an injury caused by a skate but didn't realise how significant it was or that it could be fatal.

So many affected, imagine how the guy who inflicted the injury must be feeling too.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Horrible news, sounds like an absolutely freak accident and awful for everyone. Watched lots of hockey at the Sheffield Arena when I was at uni and the games against the Panthers were always the big rivalry.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tricky one this - could set a precedent for sporting misdemeanours. I haven't seen the footage of this incident (and I don't want to) so I don't know whether it comes under the definition of accidental sporting injuries (like, say, Phil Hughes) or not. Should Pickford have been done for ABH against VVD a couple of years back? - you could certainly make a case, I think - but does sport want or need the criminal justice system to go down this road?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tricky one this - could set a precedent for sporting misdemeanours. I haven't seen the footage of this incident (and I don't want to) so I don't know whether it comes under the definition of accidental sporting injuries (like, say, Phil Hughes) or not. Should Pickford have been done for ABH against VVD a couple of years back? - you could certainly make a case, I think - but does sport want or need the criminal justice system to go down this road?
I've seen it (wish I hadn't to be honest). As you say - very tricky and genuinely don't know whether legal intervention is the right thing or not. Certainly didn't look like a 'natural movement' but then I don't really know anything about skating or ice hockey......I guess theoretically it could be judged to be similar to a 'reckless/endangering the safety of an opponent' type challenge we see in football, but with horrific consequences.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I for one am of the opinion that if a player deliberately causes serious injury to another then the law should intervene. It just might make players a little bit more cautious when thinking about reckless play. There have been several instances where the ball has been no where near a player’s boot.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
It does create a precedent in sport, especially for contact sports such as rugby.

I don’t think it would apply where it’s an action within the laws of the sport such as boxing or a bouncer in cricket. But a reckless challenge could be subject to a manslaughter charge

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jesus.

This is a live legal case and people are posting stuff that could get them, and the site, into a lot of trouble. I will now delete those posts.

Please think VERY carefully about what you write. if in doubt, don't post at all.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I've seen it (wish I hadn't to be honest). As you say - very tricky and genuinely don't know whether legal intervention is the right thing or not. Certainly didn't look like a 'natural movement' but then I don't really know anything about skating or ice hockey......I guess theoretically it could be judged to be similar to a 'reckless/endangering the safety of an opponent' type challenge we see in football, but with horrific consequences.

In hockey, if a player is upright (which Johnson was), there is no way a skate should be anywhere near their neck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here