Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
A very good mate of mine was a young pro at the time Ian Wright came on trial, he says he was just one out of a conveyor belt of trialists and did't particularly stand out above anyone else, he wasnt a surprise that nothing was offered.

Rubbish! I saw one of his games for the reserves at the Goldstone. He was brilliant, and I remember telling loads of people about him at the time.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Always quite liked Ian Wright (apart from Chicken Tonight) always seemed cheerful and one of the lads. But never looked on him as being particularly bright....until I now see he chose to come here before....Palace!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolutely love Ian Wright - along with Gareth Southgate, one of the few players who've palyed for Palace (before they died in 2010) that I don't tarnish with that dirty brush. Probably because they both served England well of course. Wrighty always comes across as a nice and passionate guy too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Rubbish! I saw one of his games for the reserves at the Goldstone. He was brilliant, and I remember telling loads of people about him at the time.

It is a little difficult for me to comment directly as I wasn't there and didn't see him play, but my point was that a good friend of mine was a young professional at the club at the time Wright was on trial.

He doesn't agree with your analysis, he wasn't particularly impressed with him above any other of the trialists that turned up regularly to train at the club at the time and certainly doesnt recall a brilliant display as you have in a reserve game that my mate probably played in.

Its worth noting that the club at the time also doesnt agree with your assessment as there was never any discussion to even consider signing him, worth also remembering the club were recruiting young players around this era outside of the apprentice system, Chris Roddon, Ian Muir, Gary Howlett, Penney, Kraay, Young etc. so for me it cannot be put down as an obvious failure, just an example of the inexact science of young player recruitment.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Always comes across as a bit shouty and thick to me but no denying he was a good player at club level but like most English forwards nowhere near good enough at International level.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I heard him talking about it in an interview once and there was mention of Dave Hollins (John Hollins brother), who played in goal for us in the late 50's. Unfortunately I can't remember what he said but I think he (Hollins) may have been at the Albion in some capacity at the time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Usually when this story surfaces someone (so it might as well be me this time) says we signed Steve Penney instead from that batch of triallists. How true that is I don't know. Younger fans might go 'Who?'' so let me say he was the Knockaert of his day. Great player for us and I can't really blame the club for choosing him if they only had to pick one.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Usually when this story surfaces someone (so it might as well be me this time) says we signed Steve Penney instead from that batch of triallists. How true that is I don't know. Younger fans might go 'Who?'' so let me say he was the Knockaert of his day. Great player for us and I can't really blame the club for choosing him if they only had to pick one.

It seems it was never a choice decision, the reality remains that the club didn't think Wright was any better than who they already had or had trialling at the time, such as Penney.

Even the signing of Penney wasnt as obvious as his later career might warrant, I have been assured that Penney turned up as quite a naive young winger traillist with a few tricks but nothing outstanding, however he found something that is critical in any young players prospects and that was a firm ally in Sammy Nelson, they shared nationality and Sammy held some sway at the time, perhaps even being the first team coach at the time, so Penney was given the benefit of the doubt and signed, Wright however had no such ally just another kid with some ability, so although it wasn't a choice as such there was a weighted advantage for Penney against Wright or any other trialist or current young player at the time.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Absolutely love Ian Wright - along with Gareth Southgate, one of the few players who've palyed for Palace (before they died in 2010) that I don't tarnish with that dirty brush. Probably because they both served England well of course. Wrighty always comes across as a nice and passionate guy too.

Maybe that I'm remembering wrong but my memory is that Wright was awful for England. He does come over as an ok bloke though but I used to turn him off when he came on the radio.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe that I'm remembering wrong but my memory is that Wright was awful for England. He does come over as an ok bloke though but I used to turn him off when he came on the radio.

More a personal memory of my first ever England game at Wembley where he scored 2 against Moldova in 97 I think. Scholes and Gazza with the others. Got to see Beckham my all time favourite footballer. Was only 10 or so and Gazza was unreal. What a night that was :)

Plus always gets passionate about England now which is part of serving your country for me :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
More a personal memory of my first ever England game at Wembley where he scored 2 against Moldova in 97 I think. Scholes and Gazza with the others. Got to see Beckham my all time favourite footballer. Was only 10 or so and Gazza was unreal. What a night that was :)

Plus always gets passionate about England now which is part of serving your country for me :thumbsup:

We were sat behind the goal when he scored and his reaction to scoring was brilliant. He was a big a fan as we were.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We were sat behind the goal when he scored and his reaction to scoring was brilliant. He was a big a fan as we were.

Ah yes just seen you were at the same game - really enjoyed that one. 'Are you watching Italy' :lol:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He only scored 9 goals in 33 games for England, apparently and 4 of them were against San Marino. http://englandstats.com/players.php?pid=1094

As I was at Wembley for the Moldova game in 1997 when he scored twice, that means I saw over 20% of his goals for England in one night.

Seem to remember he scored what could have been a pretty late equaliser away to Poland in the 1993/94 World Cup qualifying campaign. In the end, it counted for nothing as a few days later England lost away to Norway.

Wright's best years coincided with England having established #9s which meant he never really got to hold down a place in the side. Gary Lineker was the main forward at the start of his England career and Alan Shearer by the end and those 2 were always going to occupy the centre forward slot. Wright didn't have a bad England career, it just wasn't as explosive as his club career, but then the England team wasn't built around his strengths which certainly the Arsenal team of the early to mid-90s was.

D

Deleted User X18H

Roy Keane too slight.

Wright - Cattlin curtailed his trial. Wasn't there some attendance problems.

Played a couple of reserve games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here