Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Paisley Has Died

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I should be outta here too, as I can't really compete with the hilarious putdowns such as "gimpster". No doubt he was wetting himself with laughter as he typed it out. What next? "nitwit"?

Proper people's poet.

More pomposity...youre at ****ing expert level. Respect!

C

CT1

At least he'd of seen the union flag removed from the City Hall before he went. Not to mention the return of the Orange men down the Crumlin Road.

A shame he didn't see the loss of Scotland to the Union though.

He'll be missed by Stormont, but not the vast majority of the people its represents.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My dogma being, if insulted, insult back? I do apologise.

You just argue. Given that Buzzer and Simster have differing political views, although they both usually express them eloquently, you've managed to unite them on this thread.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Met the Rev Ian Paisley on a couple of occasions, he used to holiday near Chichester and came in my cafe for tea a d cake once or twice. I was surprised how physically small he was as opposed to the earlier poster, mind you this waz only a couple of years ago, so he may have shrunk the way old people seem to. His two minders were huge though

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone I know who actually met him in a personal capacity found him fairly approachable, no matter what side they would be aligned to and even if he was fully aware of that - including the cousin of an SF councillor where he recognised her very distinctive surname instantly.

He's ensured his place in history as more than a roarer with the past decade or so, not much else I can say positively about him though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We went to Dublin for a wedding 3 or 4 years ago. As we had a couple of days to spare, we thought we would drive up to Belfast, as I'd never been to Northern Ireland before.

We parked up in the centre of Belfast, and as we approached the main square, we heard a preacher and I turned to my wife and said "They all sound like Ian Paisley up here!".

It WAS Ian Paisley. Apparently, he would do some readings every Friday in the city centre. He was surrounded by about four minders. Everyone else just seemed to carry on with their business, generally ignoring him.

We went on to do a bus tour of Belfast. I never appreciated how close the republican and loyalist areas were to each other. It was quite a small city. Pleased I went though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yawn yawn. Totally predictable thread this.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He would have been GREAT to have had leading the chants in the North Stand, back in the days when Kurt Nogan was banging the goals in...

NO NO NO NO, NO NO NO NO, NO NO NO NO NOGAN!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Part of the problem that became part of the solution.

Very much this. He realised that things had to change and that holding entrenched views meant continuing death and despair. Not all the problemsover there are solved yet and may not be for many years, but at least there is now some understanding and compromise. He should be lauded for having the courage to change.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I thought he was a great Liverpool manager.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just seeing pictures on the news of he and Martin McGuinness sitting next to each other and laughing, all credit to both of them for moving from their previously entrenched positions, which so many people on here don't seem able to.

He ended up, perhaps, being as true to his Christian Faith as he might previously have seemed to be at odds with it. It says something about forgiveness and turning the other cheek, ultimately to very good effect!!!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Very magnanimous message from Martin McGuinness:

[tweet]510395847298023424[/tweet]

Can't say I take any joy from the death of Rev Ian Paisley. When McGuinness goes, on the other hand, I'll be grinning like a w*nking Jap for months afterwards.

Not sure i agree with this. The catholics used to be treated like 2nd class citizens. whether or not you agee with the IRA tactics, it forced everyone to the peace table, and both sides seem to get on better now. McGuiness was a part of this and a former enemy became a friend.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not sure i agree with this. The catholics used to be treated like 2nd class citizens. whether or not you agee with the IRA tactics, it forced everyone to the peace table, and both sides seem to get on better now. McGuiness was a part of this and a former enemy became a friend.

This. Like South Africa, everyone had to take a leap of faith for peace and gloss over a lot of, admittedly, quite terrible acts.

Judging them now is not a luxury we have. History will have to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here