[Albion] Ian Mellor

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Everyone is talking about the game against Walsall - quite rightly as it was a magical (if soaking wet) night. But there were other great games: we scored seven a couple of weeks before the Walsall game. I can't remember who it was against but Spider was on fire that day.

And he also scored a great goal against Derby at the Baseball Ground. This was when Derby were one of England's best team but for 10 minutes or so, it looked we could get a draw against them,

Spider was a magical player. He had a really sharp footballing brain and no little skill. I'm still in shock that he's gone
Without looking it up was that the York game? 7-2. On MoTD as well iirc.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ah, i only knew the name, didn't know the player, but the name Ian 'Spider' Mellor always resonated with me. He scored the very first brighton goal of my lifetime, against Palace, and I was even at the Goldstone that day. RIP

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Spider was a wonderful player. He didn't look like a footballer - very tall, thin and gangly - but he could play. How many players score a second half hattrick and don't finish top goalscorer in a game ? I remember so many good moments spent at the Goldstone with him and Wardy.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I’ve only just seen this sad news.
I will never forget the fantastic Spider and Wardy partnership, back in the day. What fantastic memories.
RIP Spider, one of the best!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Spider was a wonderful player. He didn't look like a footballer - very tall, thin and gangly - but he could play. How many players score a second half hattrick and don't finish top goalscorer in a game ? I remember so many good moments spent at the Goldstone with him and Wardy.
I always thought Wardy was never as good when not playing with Spider. A great partnership and Spider was a great player. Condolences to all his friends and family RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports