Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 bosses ask to defer all repayments for whole of 2020!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This was just so predictable - and so widely predicted. The regeneration argument holds up to examination fleetingly. That part of the seafront is greatly improved. How much though would they have needed to borrow to tart up the area without building the pole - 25% of that?

I appreciate the council probably had to agree to this flight of fancy to secure the funding in the first place and there’d need to be some way repaying the loan. But, for me, it falls into the ‘world’s gone mad’ category. Seems like a private company uses the council to obtain the money it needs, then takes the profit if the venture’s a success. If it fails, the taxpayer’s left with a slightly improved seafront (marred by what will become the world’s tallest rusty flagpole) and a gigantic bill. Surely I must be missing the bit where this somehow makes sense.
If the West Pier is anything to go by, the rusty flagpole will just be left to, er, rust. Tho unlike the West Pier, it'll pose a hazard to public health if left to the elements to destroy. So the council will doubtless be faced with another enormous bill to tear the thing down safely

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Been getting an increased volume of emails from them recently about different events and things to see at the i360. Obviously doing their best to drum up business but doesn’t look promising.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If the West Pier is anything to go by, the rusty flagpole will just be left to, er, rust. Tho unlike the West Pier, it'll pose a hazard to public health if left to the elements to destroy. So the council will doubtless be faced with another enormous bill to tear the thing down safely
If it falls down into the sea that will make a new West Pier. Problem solved.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If it falls down into the sea that will make a new West Pier. Problem solved.
That's the problem tho. If it was guaranteed to fall into the sea then the council would be more than happy to do nothing for the next hundred years. Trouble is tho, it could fall in any direction. So they have to do something

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This could make so much money. They've made sure there is no retail or catering competition permitted within a few hundred yards but don't take advantage of it. Even if tourists don't go on the ride there's a coffee bar, cafe and shops that should be busy. But they've no idea how to run the business.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
That's the problem tho. If it was guaranteed to fall into the sea then the council would be more than happy to do nothing for the next hundred years. Trouble is tho, it could fall in any direction. So they have to do something
If they make a horizontal and diagonal cut from the south side it should fall in that direction (y)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Money would've been better spent restoring the pier which would have paid much more back
But the owners of the palace Pier would have fought that in the courts because they would see it as unfair competition.
If it did fall into the sea it would still leave the debt ….. and a reasonably large trough in the foreshore.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This was proposed in 1964 by Brighton Skydeck. £1m, 1000ft tower with restaurants and observation decks for 1000 people.
C2B1A450-9345-46E2-927C-B55CBB123F21.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went on the i360 on thursday morning. Always take my staying guests on there if they really really insist. OK it was a bit misty and it was the first slot of the day, but there were only four of us paying customers rattling around inside the thing. Which, has to be said, was quite fun 🙂 Must be losing money hand over fist tho. It's far from cheap, even with a residents discount pass

IMG_20240504_201432.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went on the i360 on thursday morning. Always take my staying guests on there if they really really insist. OK it was a bit misty and it was the first slot of the day, but there were only four of us paying customers rattling around inside the thing. Which, has to be said, was quite fun 🙂 Must be losing money hand over fist tho. It's far from cheap, even with a residents discount pass

View attachment 181838
Were they filming Dt Who there, because I can see a person in that photo emerging from another dimension :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here