Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I-Tunes Library - advice needed

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I've got quite a large CD collection and I thought it would be a good idea to put some of it onto an ipod via an itunes libarary on my laptop. Over the past few months I have enjoyed puting together playlists and generally organising it all so I only have the songs I like and can cut out the tracks I am not so keen on. I was about half way through sorting my CD collection and had approx 2,500 tracks in my library and ipod.

Now in the night the 'Borrowers' have dropped my laptop. It must have been the 'Borrowers' because no-one else in the house knows anything about it. Anyway despite the best efforts of our IT guy at work the laptop is stuffed and he can't retrieve any info off the hard drive.

So now whilst I have 2,500 tracks on my ipod I cannot add to it because if I connect it to a computer it will synchronise with the new itunes library and wipe everything currently on the ipod.

Does anyone know 1) If there is anyway of saving what I have on my ipod to a new itunes library. As in existing playlists, not transferring them as individual songs. 2)If I start from scratch is there anything I can do to prevent this happenning in future because all PCs and laptops have a life and then have to be replaced.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You can turn off the automatic sync when you conect it to your computer.

I know that you used to be able to get the files from ipod onto your computer by showing 'hidden files' when setting your ipod in disk mode. Not sure if that still works on the latest operating systems though. What operating system are you using?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
1. I never have the auto-synch turned on - I want to be in control of what's put on there or not.
2. There is free s/w that can take the tracks from your iPod and put them back into a library on a PC - don't remember the name of the one I used, but it worked.
3. To stop it happening in the future - I guess that's where "cloud" technology comes in.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will experiment with one of the kids' ipods, it not so important if I wipe one of theirs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would Sharepod and IPOD Rip do this job as well ? Reviews seem to suggest they would but hard to know what to trust with free software. Thanks

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would Sharepod or IPOD rip do the job of backing up all Ipod touch library to a new ITUNES account. Any advice from experience be greatful. Hard to know what to trust when reading about free software. Thanks

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Fella, i can recover from Ipods using some funky software i have.

i can recover it and pop it on to a hard drive for you.

and as an Albionite, it would be FOC

just need you to bring it to my house...

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I can also offer slinky's service. Just come to me now, I have sweeties in my car...

After reading my post, i see what you mean Kaz, however that is optional extra's and they come at a price!!!

Once this is all sorted I suggest you sign up to iCloud which matches "ripped" cd's with tracks on iTunes or uploads them if they are not. Can't remember exact cost, think it is around £25 p.a. and you can upload up to 25000 tracks which then be accessed by other iStuff that you may possess and also enables you to dispose of your cd if you so wish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here