Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I trust TB, PB and DB to get it right. There, I've said it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As bloom said we would probably come straight back down, but I should imagine the plan is to get the stadium paid off, then after that every single penny we make is the clubs.

That is how you build a club, not how it currently works where new money is used to plug existing debts at these clubs, because that debt just gets bigger and bigger.

It constantly amazes me about how many of our fans don't understand the financial structure of our club. The stadium does not need to be paid off because to pay for it all TB did was issue loan notes to the value of the cost - the same with the training ground. They charge 0% interest and they are effectively perpetual in length (or currently 25 years and can then either be converted into equity, repaid or reissued.)

There is no big debt waylaying us, no crippling interest costs to a bank or individual, so at the moment ALL of the revenue DOES go into the coffers. Quite simply as much as we all hate it there will be no massive outlay on players because right now football as a whole is broken. Income does not meet outgoings because of greedy players and the "market" rate for their wages being grossly inflated.

I applaud the club for taking the stance they currently are but I genuinely cannot see us challenging for the Premier until many things change. We either accept this as supporters or we don't and sadly I think alot of the more recent attendees want instant gratification which they sadly can't have.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Last 2 windows players out include proven championship quality like TK, Barnes, Upson, Lopez, El-Abd, Andrews, Orlandi, Ward Ulloa and Bridcutt.

How many incoming players improve on that bunch? Stockdale and Stephens? Maybe Toko? I think we are further behind the majority with regards to recruitment and don't buy the avoiding average signings line at all.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't understand why people are so desperate to get to the Premier League anyway. At the moment I get to watch Championship football with a team who challenge for the play-offs every year, in one of the best stadiums in the country, with the biggest crowds in the division, with the club the most professionally managed and in the most secure financial position in its history, and with the best training facilities in the whole country to attract the top young talent in the area so we can have a future team involving local lads playing at the top level. All for less than the price of my phone bill.

So some years we might do better than others. Who cares?

Times are great.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
it constantly amazes me about how many of our fans don't understand the financial structure of our club. The stadium does not need to be paid off because to pay for it all tb did was issue loan notes to the value of the cost - the same with the training ground. They charge 0% interest and they are effectively perpetual in length (or currently 25 years and can then either be converted into equity, repaid or reissued.)

there is no big debt waylaying us, no crippling interest costs to a bank or individual, so at the moment all of the revenue does go into the coffers. Quite simply as much as we all hate it there will be no massive outlay on players because right now football as a whole is broken. Income does not meet outgoings because of greedy players and the "market" rate for their wages being grossly inflated.

I applaud the club for taking the stance they currently are but i genuinely cannot see us challenging for the premier until many things change. We either accept this as supporters or we don't and sadly i think alot of the more recent attendees want instant gratification which they sadly can't have.

this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand why people are so desperate to get to the Premier League anyway. At the moment I get to watch Championship football with a team who challenge for the play-offs every year, in one of the best stadiums in the country, with the biggest crowds in the division, with the club the most professionally managed and in the most secure financial position in its history, and with the best training facilities in the whole country to attract the top young talent in the area so we can have a future team involving local lads playing at the top level. All for less than the price of my phone bill.

Times are great.
But that's not good enough for me, I want it all NOW and when I say now I mean YESTERDAY.

I really enjoy spending my days making up rumours.
Knowing what Tony is saying and thinking.
Blaming the wrong people for matters that might not exist.
Moaning about an inflationary price rise in something I don't have to buy.
Hating the kit.
Spending someone else's 10's of millions of pounds.
Saying how great it was in 'the good old days'.
Pestering a chief exec just because he'll answer me.
Deciding £150m spent isn't enough.

I'm a proper Brighton fan I bleed blue and white.

and yes I am in a foul mood.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Times are great.

I agree (though your phone bill sounds bloody expensive).

I would be happy watching us doing ok in the championship, being financially well run and bringing through youngsters.

The only issues I have is the club (at the moment) we are still losing money and the club's way of making money is getting to the Premier League. If that's a long-term plan that's fine but I worry about recruiting players and coaches consistently if that is clearly our intention and it relies on Tony sticking around.

And personally I find spending £30-35 and four-five hours 23 times a season to watch Championship football a bit steep.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree (though your phone bill sounds bloody expensive).

I would be happy watching us doing ok in the championship, being financially well run and bringing through youngsters.

The only issues I have is the club (at the moment) we are still losing money and the club's way of making money is getting to the Premier League. If that's a long-term plan that's fine but I worry about recruiting players and coaches consistently if that is clearly our intention and it relies on Tony sticking around.

And personally I find spending £30-35 and four-five hours 23 times a season to watch Championship football a bit steep.

Direct debit is £38 a month, phone is £40. Good value I think.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Strange figures. If you were going 23 times a season, you'd get a ST. Mine works out at £20 a match.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
With all the negativity around at the moment, I for one completely trust Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and yes, David Burke, to get it right off the field allowing Sami to do the biz on the field. I've been an Albion supporter since 1959 and the club has never, NEVER, been better organised or in better hands.

We are sticking to FFP, I know lots of people don't like that, but assuming the FL stick to it as well - I hope they do but I'm far from confident they will - then we'll be in a very strong position.

Feel free to bounce this in six months time if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, you can be sure I will!

Too right, I would rather suffer short term, re our league position, than get involved in a bidding war for players that may, or may not be, better than players we already have. Every signing should improve the team.
Nothing will ever be worse than trooping out of The Priestfield after getting stuffed 4 -0 by Torquay.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Too right, I would rather suffer short term, re our league position, than get involved in a bidding war for players that may, or may not be, better than players we already have. Every signing should improve the team.
Nothing will ever be worse than trooping out of The Priestfield after getting stuffed 4 -0 by Torquay.

Why do people persist in harking back to the gory years to make our current player acquisition shambles seem better than it actually is?

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Why do people persist in harking back to the gory years to make our current player acquisition shambles seem better than it actually is?

"player acquisition shambles", thats an opinion, judge Toko, O`Grady and others after a few games. Hopefully significant signings will be made.
"Harking back to the gory years" is to make everyone aware of what can happen to a badly run club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
"player acquisition shambles", thats an opinion, judge Toko, O`Grady and others after a few games. Hopefully significant signings will be made.
"Harking back to the gory years" is to make everyone aware of what can happen to a badly run club.

Fair points BB.

TBF I have repeatedly said I think the 4 we've got are good signings. Problem is we need 4 more! Shambles is too strong. Sorry.

I think we need to judge the current regime against the higher expectations they have built through their success over the last few seasons. Harking back to Gillingham et al is largely counter-productive in terms of building a brighter future IMHO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Times are great.

Spot on Sir.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure what you don't follow. The FL have sanctions in place for clubs who don't adhere to FFP. These sanctions were reapproved by the clubs this summer.

If the FL go ahead and impose sanctions at the end of the year on clubs who haven't adhered to FFP that's fine. But if the FL fart about and don't impose the agreed sanctions then the clubs who didn't adhere will be laughing, and for sure won't adhere next year.

It's the same with any sanctions. If they aren't carried out they aren't any sort of deterrent.

Will the FL have the balls to carry this through I seriously doubt it against any club with power, maybe against a 3rd div team who can't fight back

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
With all the negativity around at the moment, I for one completely trust Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and yes, David Burke, to get it right off the field allowing Sami to do the biz on the field. I've been an Albion supporter since 1959 and the club has never, NEVER, been better organised or in better hands.

We are sticking to FFP, I know lots of people don't like that, but assuming the FL stick to it as well - I hope they do but I'm far from confident they will - then we'll be in a very strong position.

Feel free to bounce this in six months time if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, you can be sure I will!

Brilliant, I shan't be reading the rest of the thread as you've summed up exactly how I feel perfectly - Just put $25 on at TAB this lunchtime for The Albion to win The Championship at a very fair 21-1, bring it on! Maybe it's age combined with being away from the hysteria of England mi amigo?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I wouldn't be completely surprised if they chicken out of it like they did with the original fines being distributed amongst other clubs.

I think you will find it was the PL who refused to let the promoted clubs pay the money, not wanting it to leave the PL. So they decided it would all go to charity.

I have heard of the odd bloodbath at the club over the years but the "gory years" is a bit far fetched.

I think you will find it was the PL who refused to let the promoted clubs pay the money, not wanting it to leave the PL. So they decided it would all go to charity.

Yes I think you're right. That would have been a great incentive for clubs to stick to FFP rules. Clubs that throw money at things wouldn't worry too much about a fine, that can be factored in to their calculations. But they'd think twice if that fine was going to financially benefit their rivals.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Will the FL have the balls to carry this through I seriously doubt it against any club with power, maybe against a 3rd div team who can't fight back

But if they don't, will we be able to mount a legal challenge against the FL?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
But that's not good enough for me, I want it all NOW and when I say now I mean YESTERDAY.

I really enjoy spending my days making up rumours.
Knowing what Tony is saying and thinking.
Blaming the wrong people for matters that might not exist.
Moaning about an inflationary price rise in something I don't have to buy.
Hating the kit.
Spending someone else's 10's of millions of pounds.
Saying how great it was in 'the good old days'.
Pestering a chief exec just because he'll answer me.
Deciding £150m spent isn't enough.

I'm a proper Brighton fan I bleed blue and white.

and yes I am in a foul mood.

A summary if summer 2014, and a few other periods beside...sigh...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here