Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I thought that I was well up on car makes

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Isn't it the case that they're not allowed to import American and European manufacturers so they just make their own "versions"? They don't get shipped abroad so we won't have heard of them.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It appears not.

How many of these have you heard of.

For me just the one, I have a vague recollection of Geely

Geely has owned Volvo since 2010 and Lotus since 2017, so I'd heard of them, and I'd seen Brilliance and Landwind cars mentioned in some other "look at these funny Chinese cars" list, but the others all sound like weird off-brand electronics makers from Amazon or eBay.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Geely has owned Volvo since 2010 and Lotus since 2017, so I'd heard of them, and I'd seen Brilliance and Landwind cars mentioned in some other "look at these funny Chinese cars" list, but the others all sound like weird off-brand electronics makers from Amazon or eBay.

Seems they have done a very good job on Volvo. My son has one of the big SUVs and loves it. Lotus? I don’t recall seeing a modern Lotus.

Just done a quick Google and given the prices I am not surprised I haven’t seen any new Lotus cars! USD 350000. Wow. Colin Chapman must be turning in his grave.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It appears not.

How many of these have you heard of.

For me just the one, I have a vague recollection of Geely

Chinese car domination coming?

https://www.hotcars.com/10-surprisingly-awesome-cars-from-china-and-10-that-are-not-good/

Well l have a Great Wall dealership in Lower Beeding near me, in fact at the Cowfold Festival a couple of years ago, the dealer had one of their vehicles, a pick up, on display.

Dong Feng l think l have just about heard of, but that's it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt it won't be long before the market is flooded with cheap Chinese vehicles, as China fully establishes itself as the number 1 economy in the world and all currencies are pegged against the Renminbi

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The post Great Wall at no 13 Wey(-hey) look good - although I would pick them up on their statement that Acura is the posh Nissan - it is of course Infiniti that's Nissan; Acura is a Honda brand - I can say that with reasonable confidence.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The post Great Wall at no 13 Wey(-hey) look good - although I would pick them up on their statement that Acura is the posh Nissan - it is of course Infiniti that's Nissan; Acura is a Honda brand - I can say that with reasonable confidence.

https://youtu.be/jEx9cgEO3bM

The Wey VV7 looks a nice car but when tested, it seems many elements are ‘far off’ European car manufacturer standards.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
standards are simply a matter of quality control, you setup suitable QC and you get good quality product. Chinese can make knock off cheap stuff, they also make Apple phones.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
standards are simply a matter of quality control, you setup suitable QC and you get good quality product. Chinese can make knock off cheap stuff, they also make Apple phones.

Yes and no - McDonalds have perhaps the best QC standards and processes of any restaurant, but most would not consider their products "good quality".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Chinese are leading the way in EV production as well*, just we don't see many of them yet, as they have been (up until now) primarily for their MASSIVE domestic market. The only Chinese EVs we've seen are the MG and Polestar (Volvo) brands, both of which are Chinese owned.

Companies like XPeng, BYD, Nio ans SAIC are huge companies, which will be bringing cars to Europe soon.

* they are matching Tesla in the Chinese market, despite Tesla having a Chinese Gigafactory

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Chinese are leading the way in EV production as well*, just we don't see many of them yet, as they have been (up until now) primarily for their MASSIVE domestic market. The only Chinese EVs we've seen are the MG and Polestar (Volvo) brands, both of which are Chinese owned.

Companies like XPeng, BYD, Nio ans SAIC are huge companies, which will be bringing cars to Europe soon.

* they are matching Tesla in the Chinese market, despite Tesla having a Chinese Gigafactory

Thankfully that won't effect us as we're no longer in Europe.

We can rely exclusively on UK car manufacturers to supply our every need...

...oh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I saw an article where they seem to already have the solution for electric cars that have knackered/end of life batteries. Garages where you drive in and they do a battery switch in a couple of hours or so. Haven’t seen anything similar up and running in Europe. I could be wrong of course, I am not up on electric cars

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thankfully that won't effect us as we're no longer in Europe.

We can rely exclusively on UK car manufacturers to supply our every need...

not all needs, 1.3 million made here we could cover the majority of demand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jesus, that article is so poorly written it makes the online Argus seem half decent

Yes, a bit of an eye soar, but I don't wish to sound whinny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here