Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I think we do need to talk about Bruno

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is certainly some truth in the occasional misplaced pass in the Prem,
In a massively defensive side he was put under a lot of pressure and occasionally found out.

However to ignore all of the Dunk to Bruno pinged out-ball passes, which were always effortlessly controlled, brought down, to start increasingly rare attacks, is a travesty.
Not to mention the curled passes around the press to free Knocky. It may have been hit and miss (far fewer missed than hit), but when they hit..... oh my!

He was a maestro on the field . Pretending otherwise is unfair on him.

He was 37 when we hit the Prem. What I would say is any player that can chalk up 39 appearances as a 37-38 year old is ****ing good, and I mean they haven't just looked after themselves, their skill level has to be top drawer to compensate for a natural dwindling of their capabilities.

Agree, total maestro on the field. Bought a culture to the club of being brave on the ball, never panicking in possession of the ball, always wanting the ball, fantastic touch, but also strong in the tackle. Can't possibly understand the people who saw him 100s of times and didn't appreciate how good he was.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Paddy Power (10/1) and Coral (12/1) are strangely still taking bets on Bruno to be our next permanent manager.

Notoriously flaky market. William Hill have Saltor priced up at 50/1...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Paddy Power (10/1) and Coral (12/1) are strangely still taking bets on Bruno to be our next permanent manager.

Notoriously flaky market. William Hill have Saltor priced up at 50/1...

Just seen that and posted on the manager thread. Now 5th favourite. Wierd.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'll be reserving my ire for Potter on his return. I am gutted that Bruno has gone but given that Potter had decided to bugger off Bruno's future will have been uncertain and Potter offered stability. As furious as I am I cannot bring myself to throw away the years of affection I have had for Bruno.

For those who feel angry and will make their feelings known when he takes his place on the opposition bench, I both understand and respect that point of view also.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He was 37 when we hit the Prem. What I would say is any player that can chalk up 39 appearances as a 37-38 year old is ****ing good, and I mean they haven't just looked after themselves, their skill level has to be top drawer to compensate for a natural dwindling of their capabilities.

Agree, total maestro on the field. Bought a culture to the club of being brave on the ball, never panicking in possession of the ball, always wanting the ball, fantastic touch, but also strong in the tackle. Can't possibly understand the people who saw him 100s of times and didn't appreciate how good he was.

Absolutely - one of the best technical football players to ever don the stripes.

After the Sheffield Wednesday play-off loss he thought his chance to play in the Premier League was gone, but he came back and steered the team through one of the most memorable seasons in the club's history before shining the following season in the Premier League.

Beyond his incredible performances on the field, and more importantly, he's very clearly an exceptional human being.

He's a man who leads by positive example in every sense.

I suspect his days at the Albion aren't over, but in order to lead the club in the way he will want to, he needed to step away first.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I do indeed :lolol:

But I am not the one releasing a heart felt message to the Albion faithful, I just found it a tad meh.

Don't get me wrong though, I will not booing either Bruno or Mr Potter, even if I am disappointed.
I will be forever grateful for their efforts in the stripes and on the side.

*heartfelt* :wink:

I get where you're coming from, but he's an ex-footballer and coach not a linguist – nor is English his first language. That doesn't excuse it totally, but it's not a massive issue for me.

I work with – and edit articles from – people who write for a living and some of the stuff I go through is riddled with mistakes. So-called 'amazing' authors and writers owe *a lot* to editors, sub-editors and proofreaders.

An ex-colleague said to me when I started out in work that every sentence can be improved, which is probably true :shrug:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think you are wrong. This decision is clearly incredibly difficult for him.

His message is far more emotional and believable than any other I’ve seen.

I refuse to let any of this put hate in my heart.

Yes. Incredibly difficult.

Took him all of 24 hours to accept.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Rubbish, we singed Saltor, who was also a right back, at the same time as Bruno and he never even played because Bruno was so good in that position.

And as for BURNO, the less said about him the better!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm slightly concerned for Bruno. At Lancing he commanded respect because almost everyone knew him as a player, and in most cases he had performed at a higher level than they had (Champions League).

I wonder what the Chelsea players, many of whom are Champions League winners, World Cup winners, European Champions, Premier League winners, will make of him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm slightly concerned for Bruno. At Lancing he commanded respect because almost everyone knew him as a player, and in most cases he had performed at a higher level than they had (Champions League).

I wonder what the Chelsea players, many of whom are Champions League winners, World Cup winners, European Champions, Premier League winners, will make of him.

Not much, when they decide they've had enough of them, they will all join together to force the manager out like they have with the last 4. Chelsea fans will turn on them once that happens and Todd Boehly will be happy to appease. This is the top, and they can't get any higher so its all downhill from there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Why is that particularly a concern for Bruno - rather than say Bjorn Hamberg or Billy Reid, who never played anywhere like the level Bruno did? :shrug:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
*heartfelt* :wink:

I get where you're coming from, but he's an ex-footballer and coach not a linguist – nor is English his first language. That doesn't excuse it totally, but it's not a massive issue for me.

I work with – and edit articles from – people who write for a living and some of the stuff I go through is riddled with mistakes. So-called 'amazing' authors and writers owe *a lot* to editors, sub-editors and proofreaders.

An ex-colleague said to me when I started out in work that every sentence can be improved, which is probably true :shrug:

We have similar careers by the looks of it, Greg!

Bruno didn't write that letter. And neither did Potter write his. It would have been dictated to a secretary.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Bruno didn't write that letter. And neither did Potter write his. It would have been dictated to a secretary.

Whether he did or he didn't - doesn't matter - the implication (from some) if he's had support writing a note is that its insincere . I don't agree with that at all. i accept that he struggled with the decision and wanted to convey his thoughts to fans out of respect..
That doesn't mean i'm not disappointed and that doesn't mean i don't wish he could have stayed or that i can't empathise with his choice. You can do all of those things . I'm however finding the personal attacks on Bruno etc on here and on social media a bit hard to take and unwarranted.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As this thread demonstrates, to quote Poyet 'eeze complicated'.

I really think our feelings towards all of them will partly depend on how well we are doing without them.....

Completely agree with you and Poyet is a great example there was similar anger when he left with the wound of the semi final fresh in everyone’s mind but we can now look back on the title winning season and the role Gus played in the clubs evolution fondly.

Players and coaches have their own priorities and ambition to further their careers ours as fans is the best interest of the clubs to reach the highest positions possible. At the moment we are hugely frustrated as personal ambition is being perceived to have robbed us of what looked like it could be our finest season in the top flight. That hurts for many but if someone else comes in and we push on the feelings and views will soften.

Everyone deals with change differently and we have seen the broad range of that over the past week. Things will settle as the new team are put in place and we get back to playing.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Whether he did or he didn't - doesn't matter - the implication (from some) if he's had support writing a note is that its insincere . I don't agree with that at all. i accept that he struggled with the decision and wanted to convey his thoughts to fans out of respect..
That doesn't mean i'm not disappointed and that doesn't mean i don't wish he could have stayed or that i can't empathise with his choice. You can do all of those things . I'm however finding the personal attacks on Bruno etc on here and on social media a bit hard to take and unwarranted.

I agree but my message wasn't an 'attack'. Clearly. Just stating a fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why is that particularly a concern for Bruno - rather than say Bjorn Hamberg or Billy Reid, who never played anywhere like the level Bruno did? :shrug:

..not to mention Potter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why would Potter dicatate a letter which he is clearly more than capable of writing himself, to a secretary? And do people still dicatate to secretaries?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ambivalence is what I think I’m feeling, respect for what he’s done in the past and that he seems a great guy but deep disappointment and sadness that he just seemingly walked away. Perhaps he felt he didn’t have a choice, leave with Potter or stay and face uncertainty.

Either way I’m sure we’ll all get over it.

:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here