Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I sincerely hope SCR are wrong about the team ...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
They are suggesting it is 442 with Virgo going back up-front - WTF!

He's just played his best game of the season (unsuprisingly in his position), Knight was exceptional again and the formation looked good - why change it? McGhee seems to be unable to resist the urge to tinker with the team, will we ever see a settled line-up?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Nothing would surprise me about McGhee's team selctions. Most of the time I wonder whether he really knows quite what he is doing.

:nono:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zebedee said:
Nothing would surprise me about McGhee's team selctions. Most of the time I wonder whether he really knows quite what he is doing.

:nono:

People (including me) were saying that last January.
Look where he got us.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Certainly he gets results, but surely some consistency is desirable? Virgo was superb against Wolves - he is a superb centre-back, but a crap striker ... there must be some logic, but I can't see it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
Certainly he gets results, but surely some consistency is desirable? Virgo was superb against Wolves - he is a superb centre-back, but a crap striker ... there must be some logic, but I can't see it.
Horses for courses. QPR defenders are huge. You need big men up front.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Or a small, skillful player to capitalise on their weaknesses. He certainly puzzles me, but we're about to see how it works out ...

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
M Kuipers, P Reid, A Hinshelwood, G Butters, K Mayo, G Hart, C Oatway, R Carpenter, D Harding, A Virgo, M McCammon
Subs: C May, P Watson, A Nicolas, L Knight, N Jones

Repugnant Toad said:

Toad, this is not difficult to understand.

We play different opponents every week who offer different threats. We play different formations and selections to counter that.

There is no virtue in playing the same 11 every week. McGhee and his coaches are earning their money by studying their opponents and judging which of our squad would be most effective against them.

Virgs has 5 goals in 16 starts this season - there is no problem playing him, that's the best record of any striker we've played this season.

Come on Toad, make some effort to understand McGhee's tactical thinking, he gives very good interviews pre and post match to explain it. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Or a small, skillful player to capitalise on their weaknesses. He certainly puzzles me, but we're about to see how it works out ...

Shittu EATS small strikers doesn't he?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
There is no virtue in playing the same 11 every week.

Are you quite sure? Having a settled team is hugely desirable, as is playing our best team - Virgo is a superb CB, but is wasted up front, especially alongside another big, immobile player. There's nothing wrong with being flexible to face up to opponents' threats, but we often seem to do this to the detriment of our own talents.

Repugnant Toad said:
Are you quite sure? Having a settled team is hugely desirable, as is playing our best team - Virgo is a superb CB, but is wasted up front, especially alongside another big, immobile player. There's nothing wrong with being flexible to face up to opponents' threats, but we often seem to do this to the detriment of our own talents.

Yeah, I am sure. We've picked a team today that is very defensively tight but has to be a defensively tight in a DIFFERENT way to Wolves, as Wolves employ different systems to QPR.

Did you bleat when we changed the team and got a great point at Wolves?

Picking the same team every week is a sign that the manager isn't THINKING.

Your comments on Virgs as a striker are very poor. It is amazing to me that the one player who has kept us out of the relegation zone this season with his goals and general play up front attracts comments such as yours. You won't find anyone who has some expert professional position in football who has a problem with Virgs playing up front. The only people who object are a few footballing snobs who somehow think it is shameful that their team are playing a defender up front.

I'm delighted Virgs is up front because McCammon although a good player doesn't look to me a prolific goalscorer. And Leon Knight hasn't looked that for some time either, although I'm sure he'll get his chance in the second half today. Our percentage bet for a goal is Virgs.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Picking the same team every week is a sign that the manager isn't THINKING.

Nonsense. Micky Adams seemed to be thinking when he built his success around a settled, predictable team.

As for Virgo, I think he's a brilliant defender who could play at a high level in that position, but he has never looked convincing as a striker for any length of time. He may have got most of our goals, but he is not prolific - you advocate picking a team on a game-by-game basis, so why stick with Virgo, who hasn't done it in that position recently, when Leon is bang on form?

Repugnant Toad said:
Nonsense. Micky Adams seemed to be thinking when he built his success around a settled, predictable team.

As for Virgo, I think he's a brilliant defender who could play at a high level in that position, but he has never looked convincing as a striker for any length of time. He may have got most of our goals, but he is not prolific - you advocate picking a team on a game-by-game basis, so why stick with Virgo, who hasn't done it in that position recently, when Leon is bang on form?

You can pick a settled team when you have a better team than everyone else in the division and you are imposing your gameplan on the opposition. Adams had that luxury because he was in charge of a top-of-the-table team.

Things are very different for teams at the bottom who are scrambling around trying to pick up the odd point here and there by exploiting weaknesses in the opposition. I know there is a fair degree of denial out there, Toad, but that's the current position of the team you support.

You say Virgs is not prolific, but one goal every 3 games is prolific for a last-six team - so get real! That's a 16-goal-a season striker. Do you honestly see anyone else in our squad who can do better than that? I can't.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I would argue that a significant part of us doing well was the settled team, rather than it being a luxury our position afforded us.

If you reckon Virgo will get 16 goals this year, I'd be more than happy to put a modest sum on it.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I really like Virgo. I think he has been our best player this season. However now we have signed another target man (McCammon) I don't think we need him up front.
MM knows more than me though so I'll trust him to pick the best team.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
McCammon off Knight on at half time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here