[Albion] I predict this season is going to end horribly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Depends if Ferguson comes back. He doesn’t have to score heaps of goals or anything, we just need a striker other than Welbz who can link play, draw defenders and get one or two goal contributions.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've thought for a while now - based off historical context - that we'll need to get in the low 60's to qualify for Europe. So another 11-14 points should be enough to qualify us for Europe.

These are the remaining fixtures of the teams in the fight for 5th - 7th

Spurs
Man Utd (A)
Liverpool (A)
Palace (H)
Villa(A)
Brentford(H)
Leeds (A)

Villa
Fulham(H)
Man Utd (A)
Wolves(A)
Spurs(H)
Liverpool(A)
Brighton (H)

Liverpool
West Ham (A)
Spurs (H)
Fulham(H)
Brentford (H)
Leicester (A)
Villa (H)
Saints (A)

It looks to me like Liverpool have the easiest set of fixtures with Spurs and Villa the hardest.

All things being equal you'd say that we've got a very good chance of finishing above at least one of those teams. The issue, as has been said, is the number of games in a short space of time and the squad depth.

do we have any injury updates? If we could get Ferguson or Wellbeck and Lallana back this week that would be huge. Lamptey and the other of Wellbeck and Ferguson would also be very beneficial.

Caicedo, Ally Mac, Estupinian, Mitoma and March have played nearly every minute of every game. If we can give them some rest, even if it's only 15 minutes a game that would help a lot, I think.

In relation to the o.p, of course we need to be prepared for disappointment as there is a risk of failure. The severity of our injuries will decide how strong that risk is. I think a realisitc worst case scenario is going into the villa game needing to beat them to qualify. Equally a realisitc best case scenario is that we go into that game four points above them.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
My biggest concern is that we looked tired on Sunday, even before ET, which I think contributed to us not being quite as sharp and precise with our passing as usual. We may need some of the youngsters like Buonanotte and Ayari to step up.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In response to the OP, I hope it doesn’t, but I did have a horrible feeling on Sunday night, that maybe that was our peak, as good as it gets.

Back in August Cup Semi Final and 8th would have been a dream now it will be deemed as failure, funny old game 🤷‍♂️

Injuries will play a part but RDZ lifting them all will also be a huge factor.

Ever the optimist I still hope we can do it, and these two games against ‘lesser’ opposition could be just the lift we need 👍

UTA.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I understand your point, but that wasn't my intention, even though it does seem like it.

Sad to see this, even if we get Europa League, I guess not everyone will be satisfied.

Again, it may seem like I was, but all I was trying to say is that this team has done really well so far and I'm very optimistic about the next few games - even with factors such as injuries, congested fixtures, etc.
My apologies. My post was to Mustafa II, not you, and I’m not sure how I quoted you as well.
Sorry.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In response to the OP, I hope it doesn’t, but I did have a horrible feeling on Sunday night, that maybe that was our peak, as good as it gets.

Back in August Cup Semi Final and 8th would have been a dream now it will be deemed as failure, funny old game 🤷‍♂️

Injuries will play a part but RDZ lifting them all will also be a huge factor.

Ever the optimist I still hope we can do it, and these two games against ‘lesser’ opposition could be just the lift we need 👍

UTA.
I’m just enjoying the ride at the moment.

getting in to Europe would be great, but personally I don’t think I’ll be desperate if we don’t. It’s still our best ever season whatever happens.

Chris Sutton in his predictions for this weeks matches says he has been impressed by Arsenal and City (or someone else), but Brighton is his favourite team to watch!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The OP may be right but I’ll be taking it one game at a time. If we can somehow get back on track and win what will be a very physical game on Wednesday the team and the fans will be buzzing again. As things stand I’ll take a draw as it’s going to be battle and we know how Forest can shithouse. I just hope we have a ref who is not wearing home blinkers.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Insanely congested fixtures. The squad is way too thin to cope.

I think we should expect to be really disappointed with the end of this amazing season.

Not anyones fault - every one involved with this season should be incredibly proud, whatever happens. But it's so typical as an Albion fan for luck to be against us at such crucial times.
I bet you’re good fun at a party .

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've thought for a while now - based off historical context - that we'll need to get in the low 60's to qualify for Europe. So another 11-14 points should be enough to qualify us for Europe.
I did some checking last night and since we’ve been in the Premier League (not the biggest sample but a good 5 year trend) the lowest number of points for 7th place is 54 (Burnley 17-18), the highest 62 (Spurs 20-21). The average number of points over that period to finish 7th was just under 58.

We are well on course to get at least 58 points however with the race between the 4 clubs so tight it could require more than the 62 points spurs got which means at least 14 points are required.

The one good thing is the fact Villa have to play all 3 sides they are in the race with in the final 3 games, Liverpool and Spurs also play each other. This means dropped points are going to happen for our rivals at some point. So hopefully we will know our destiny before the end of the season when we face Villa ourselves.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We played 8 games in March 2011, many in an atmosphere free athletics stadium, having played FA Cup rounds 1-5 with a tiny squad. And won all eight.
The difference here is who we still have to play. Sadly, we've still got Arsenal, City, United, Newcastle and Villa. It's not their league positions that bother me, it's the fact that all of them have squad depth that you'd expect from clubs being bankrolled by oil states and such.
In the league one days, only Southampton and Huddersfield had noticeably deeper squads than we had.

But like @Acker79 , I flip flop. If we can get lucky with injuries, there's nothing to say we can't finish the season strongly.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Onwards, we can do it. Forest are going down tomorrow

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I do hope that the o/p is wrong, but I do fear that some of us will not see our dreams fulfilled this season. On Sunday night I was hoping that the marathon match had not taken too much out of us , physically as well as emotionally.
Personally, it would be great to be in Europe but if we don’t this year , then ok it has been a great season. I think too many people are talking it up , which could lead to expectations disappointed. Whatever happens, “Up the Albion “ !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do hope that the o/p is wrong, but I do fear that some of us will not see our dreams fulfilled this season. On Sunday night I was hoping that the marathon match had not taken too much out of us , physically as well as emotionally.
Personally, it would be great to be in Europe but if we don’t this year , then ok it has been a great season. I think too many people are talking it up , which could lead to expectations disappointed. Whatever happens, “Up the Albion “ !
If you went back 14 months in a time machine and someone told you we'd score 54 goals in 29 games winning 14 of them you might be forgiven for falling about laughing hysterically at the sheer hubris of the claim.

Forget any targets, Europe, or what have you, just try to enjoy each game because the season has already been a huge success. Very few of us 14months ago thought we were ready to be a top 10 team, and yet here we are for the second season running looking like one of the best footballing sides out there.

Europe would be the ubiquitous cherry on top, but got to say, the rest of the cake has been mightily enjoyable regardless of whether that cherry is there or not.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
“All happiness is of a negative rather than positive nature, and for this reason cannot give lasting satisfaction and gratification, but rather only ever a release from a pain or lack, which must be followed either by a new pain or by languor, empty yearning and boredom.”

Explanatory note: (This iz wot 'appens when they let edukated cunnuses on footy discussion fora.)

Attachments

• Schopenhauer_185211.jpg
    Schopenhauer_185211.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 19

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
As far as I'm concerned and considering the amount of turmoil we've had to deal with this season. Anything above last season's position has to be marked down a fantastic season. May not feel like it right now, but we'll be reminiscing about 2022/23 for years to come. It can't end horribly, as we will have improved from last season, and that's all we can really hope for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports