I Pad vs I Pad Mini

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 18477

I can't tell the difference between a retina display and one that isn't. So iPad Mini for me!

and to be fair most people i know dont even have the brightness full on on the apple products as it drains the battery way too much. i dont on my big ipad unless im watching a film or using iplayer!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Interesting point. We don't have a TV in the bedroom, so I'll use the iPad with iPlayer and the like in bed on occasion.

I took the iPad mini up last night to catch up on Homeland. Whereas the full sized iPad would rest against my legs nicely giving a great picture, the iPad mini was probably too light - I couldn't feel it was there through the quilt and any sort of movement at all had it moving all over the place. The screen size itself wasn't an issue, I don't think but the form factor just felt a bit lacking.

On the other hand, the mini is perfect for in-bed reading - I don't need the light on as I do with the Kindle, and the full size iPad is a bit unwieldy when you're on your back reading.

I loved my Kindle, before I bought the IPad, but I won't carry both, so IPad it is. I agree, just for reading, the IPad is a little too heavy to hold in one hand, like you would a book or a Kindle, however, as I use it on the train, the IPad sits nicely on the table.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
bozza why did you decide to get the mini when you have the standard size? or are they shared between family members?

The iPad is an iPad 1 bought on morning of launch day. For most things it's fine, watching video certainly, but it is slightly sluggish on occasion now and due to the relatively small amount of RAM, multi-tabbed web browsing can be slightly frustrating due to the way pages can refresh as you switch tabs.

So, I decided it was time for a new one, and fell for the mini after a quick play.

You're also right - they are shared on occasion - I wonder if the kids will prefer the bigger screen or the lighter one now.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
The normal iPad is a top of the range tablet computing device.

The iPad Mini is a lower specced smaller, cheaper version without the nice display. It should cost an awful lot less than it does.

Most tech commentators have been unimpressed with the iPad Mini and the general concensus is that the Nexus 7 is a superior product at a better price point.

If you want a smaller device for one hand use, go with the Nexus 7. If you want a larger device, the new iPad looks very good BUT if you don't need all that power you may be better off going for the older iPad 2. Don't go with an iPad 3 as their performance is hampered by the high res screen which it wasn't powerful enough to properly support.

Or take a look at the new Nexus 10 device which is the same size as the regular iPad but with a better display and a lower price.
Thanks for the info. Think I may go for the I Pad 2....I will read the rest of the helpful replies before finally deciding. Cheers.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports