Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I miss Poyet...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The style has gone, the optimism had gone, the belief has gone... A year ago we were playing some beautiful cultured stuff... Last night we looked desperate and incompetent... At the end of the day I want to see great football...
I think your remembering things through Poyet tinted glasses, we had some truly awful displays under his guidance.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think your remembering things through Poyet tinted glasses, we had some truly awful displays under his guidance.

This.

There were plenty of times people on here got frustrated with performances last season. Expectations are higher this time around, but things have changed, not least the players and the manager.

We'll be fine. It was only a couple of weeks ago (after the Reading/QPR games) that folk were saying we were guaranteed a play-off place.

We are one decent performance away from being title contenders (in the eyes of some of the NSC community).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I miss Poyet. Like a hole in the head.

I see the goldfish are out in force. There were many many games where Poyet sides under us played utter turgid boring dross to inferior sides. And better ones.

Poyet also NEVER faced an injury crises like the one currently dealt to Oscar. Some supporters are an embarrassment.

Likewise.Totally agree.
Look forward not back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well your optimism and belief may have gone....mine hasn't.
There are a lot of posters on here who don't seem to acknowledge that there was football going on at BHA before Gus Poyet arrived. Years and years of it and at times it was pretty good. There are posters on here lauding Gus as the greatest BHA manager ever and nigh on irreplaceable.
He had two bites at the cherry at getting us promoted from the Championship. He underperformed in the first season ( 10th ) and blew it in the second. The first full season up was characterised by a succession of peaks and troughs. Winning runs followed by winless runs. We came out the traps full of confidence, like world beaters but we couldn't sustain it. Dogged by a blind devotion to one style of play, he was totally reliant on us taking the lead in games. Then, the players could knock the ball around slowly at the back and bore the opposition to death, by starving them of the ball. Not beautiful cultured stuff at times, just plain boring.
When we fell behind we couldn't react, couldn't chase the game. It was inevitable, too often.
Sometimes the players clicked, particularly last season, when we were stronger. The confidence flowed and so did the football. After Christmas, we were the best team in the division. We had the best back six. Solid keeper with top experience. Best LB by a country mile. Good centre-halves. One played and scored in the last World Cup. Best holding midfielder by a country mile. Then in came Ulloa and scored almost a goal a game. We should have gone up automatically but the managers innate caution resulted in many missed opportunities and a ridiculous 18 draws. We were as good as Cardiff and better than Hull. We made the play-offs. We were the form team and should have won the first leg at Selhurst. The manager settled for a draw and they lost their talisman ( Murray )
It was ours to win. Gus blew it because he put himself above the fans and team. The players knew he wasn't focussed, so is it any surprise they weren't. He couldn't knuckle down and devote himself totally to BHA. He threw a hissy fit and threw months of hard work and tens of millions of pounds out the window.
Thats his legacy. Ultimately, he wasn't good enough and he wasn't professional enough. For me, the jury is still out as to whether he can manage above the Championship and I believe a lot of Chairmen and owners out there are maybe thinking the same. Where is the rush for his services? He has been linked to a lot of clubs in the press but that is just presstalk.
I enjoyed a lot of Gus' tenure. The quick turnround and Div 1 title were no mean feat. The Championship was a mixture of joy and frustration and ultimately, missed opportunity.
Do I miss him...no. Would I want him back...no. Do I believe in Oscar...yes. Why?
Because I trust and believe in TB's judgement and share his vision and long-term goal. He hasn't invested all this just to chuck it away with a hasty and wrong choice as replacement for Gus. Because I believe what Spanish journo's write about OG, about his potential and standing in the game. If its good enough for them to talk about him as a future Barca manager, then thats good enough for me.
He will ultimately outperform Gus and achieve more.

This is the best post for me that I have ever read on NSC and I agree with every word.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't miss him at all. He wanted out and left us in the lurch, hope he struggles to find another club suitable to his sizeable needs

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There are a lot of posters on here who don't seem to acknowledge that there was football going on at BHA before Gus Poyet arrived. Years and years of it and at times it was pretty good. There are posters on here lauding Gus as the greatest BHA manager ever and nigh on irreplaceable.
He had two bites at the cherry at getting us promoted from the Championship. He underperformed in the first season ( 10th ) and blew it in the second. The first full season up was characterised by a succession of peaks and troughs. Winning runs followed by winless runs. We came out the traps full of confidence, like world beaters but we couldn't sustain it. Dogged by a blind devotion to one style of play, he was totally reliant on us taking the lead in games. Then, the players could knock the ball around slowly at the back and bore the opposition to death, by starving them of the ball. Not beautiful cultured stuff at times, just plain boring.
When we fell behind we couldn't react, couldn't chase the game. It was inevitable, too often.
Sometimes the players clicked, particularly last season, when we were stronger. The confidence flowed and so did the football. After Christmas, we were the best team in the division. We had the best back six. Solid keeper with top experience. Best LB by a country mile. Good centre-halves. One played and scored in the last World Cup. Best holding midfielder by a country mile. Then in came Ulloa and scored almost a goal a game. We should have gone up automatically but the managers innate caution resulted in many missed opportunities and a ridiculous 18 draws. We were as good as Cardiff and better than Hull. We made the play-offs. We were the form team and should have won the first leg at Selhurst. The manager settled for a draw and they lost their talisman ( Murray )
It was ours to win. Gus blew it because he put himself above the fans and team. The players knew he wasn't focussed, so is it any surprise they weren't. He couldn't knuckle down and devote himself totally to BHA. He threw a hissy fit and threw months of hard work and tens of millions of pounds out the window.
Thats his legacy. Ultimately, he wasn't good enough and he wasn't professional enough. For me, the jury is still out as to whether he can manage above the Championship and I believe a lot of Chairmen and owners out there are maybe thinking the same. Where is the rush for his services? He has been linked to a lot of clubs in the press but that is just presstalk.
I enjoyed a lot of Gus' tenure. The quick turnround and Div 1 title were no mean feat. The Championship was a mixture of joy and frustration and ultimately, missed opportunity.
Do I miss him...no. Would I want him back...no. Do I believe in Oscar...yes. Why?
Because I trust and believe in TB's judgement and share his vision and long-term goal. He hasn't invested all this just to chuck it away with a hasty and wrong choice as replacement for Gus. Because I believe what Spanish journo's write about OG, about his potential and standing in the game. If its good enough for them to talk about him as a future Barca manager, then thats good enough for me.

You're about to have your Poyet fan club membership revoked. We'll have none of this balanced opinion on here lad-it (apparently) means that football holds nothing for you if you can see the good and bad.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Excellent post - fair and objective, no misty eyed sentiment. Largely sums up my feelings about Poyet too. I'm not sure that we miss him personally as much as miss the stability he created by being in post for so long and enabling players to become comfortable with his system. Even so he had some serious wobbles.

If Gus had been hampered by the succession of long term injuries to key players that Oscar is having to contend with then I'm not sure even Gus would have maintained the level of performance we hope for. Gus had a very decent transfer budget to play with (although clearly not what he would have liked). His achievement in taking us on a stellar rise from League 1 mediocrity will always be his legacy and allowed him to surf the feel good factor around the ascent of the Club, Stadium etc. Poyet term coincided with a mega upturn in the infrastructure around the Club and stadium. No other Albion manager (even Mullery) enjoyed that level of support from the Chairman. Gus delivered on the pitch right up to the most critical time for the Club - but will not be forgiven for allowing his head to be turned just as the Prem was firmly within touching distance.

But Gus is history and we can only support the new manager. Given a bit more luck and a fit squad I think Oscar will do ok. Oscar has also had to pick up the pieces from Poyet's acrimonious departure, not easy in the circumstances. I like that he is calm and authoritative and not prone to public hissy fits. As a young manager in a new environment he will make the occasional selection or tactical mistakes (such as this week) but doesn't strike me as being the sort to panic. I hope he has the ability to learn. If he was the finished article he would probably be managing at a higher level.

Managers will come and go, so it is more important to support the Club. Even Oscar will move on someday, hopefully having done a decent job and will take our best wishes.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Sorry but I do!
I know we need to give Oscar time, I know that he doesn't big himself up, I know that Poyet was a self serving, untrustworthy, disloyal, self centred tosser...
But I miss his presence.
I think he seemed to fit our style... A bit cool, a bit different, a bit trendy, a bit edgy and generally 'above his station'. Just like The Albion in fact!
Does anyone feel the same?
(I feel quite ashamed about this so don't give me a hard time!)

Forget Poyet, he's not here, won't be, Garcia is in charge, get behind him because if we don't we'll be letting him down big time,. we need to have faith in him, I have and I hope the rest of the faithful have too

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The style has gone, the optimism had gone, the belief has gone... A year ago we were playing some beautiful cultured stuff... Last night we looked desperate and incompetent... At the end of the day I want to see great football...

Erm. Did you watch all those games. We were poor against Birmingham lucky to get a point against Ipswich in that run and Middlesbrough was a dire game to watch. Not everything was perfect under Gus.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I know one thing for sure about Gus. Good manager though he was, if he'd had the injury list Garcia's suffered along with the incredible number of poor, potentially pivotal refereeing decisions (mainly handballs not given), we'd all be sick of his moaning by now. This season would have been a constant whinge about refs and resources.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
F-uck me how do some of you cope when you're dumped by a really nice girlfriend!?

Yes, she was great, had everything, but she didn't love you back. Man up FFS and move on.

Some seriously weak minded saps on here. I loved Gus, but it's over, enough crying into your pillows already!!!

My "nicest" girlfriend left me for a woman. Actually she wasn't the nicest, just the tightest. Maybe my pillow got wet but no teeth marks. And I refuse your initial offer.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

As someone else has already said 100% this and the best post ever on NSC I have read concerning Gus and the last two seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Nothing to add to that, great post

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

There are times I don't agree with your views, but this post is spot on. Very good objective analysis of Poyet and the past two seasons, and reasons for positivity in the future.

Nice one :thumbsup:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more with this post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here