[Music] I made a post-punk pop track - and video

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
square-cover-2.jpg

My lyrics/edit/video. AI music.

I sent a short preview to friends, inc music journos, who compared it to A Flock of Seagulls, New Order and "early Clan of Xymox" to Editors, Block Party, Coldplay and Imagine Dragons. Hmmmmmm!

Let me know what you think. Any plays, likes, feedback appreciated!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I LIKE it (and can very much hear the New Order influence) but I'm not sure I UNDERSTAND it.

You write the words, then feed it into an AI engine / app to have it put to music, and 'sung'? I presume you input triggers / tweaks to guide the software, regards the genre / beat? / speed. the more nonsense I guess at the clearer it is to me that I have no idea what 'I made this' actually MEANS. :eek:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You write the words, then feed it into an AI engine / app to have it put to music, and 'sung'? I presume you input triggers / tweaks to guide the software, regards the genre / beat? / speed. the more nonsense I guess at the clearer it is to me that I have no idea what 'I made this' actually MEANS. :eek:
Glad you asked the question...

That is a scary thought, could this mean in the future we will be listening to AI music and bands will become a thing of the past.
Music contrived more than it is already...

Back to the song, it is not bad, but I am not the best person to ask.
Very Eurovision and appeal to the masses kinda holiday music.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That is a scary thought, could this mean in the future we will be listening to AI music and bands will become a thing of the past.
Music contrived more than it is already...
There was an interesting album release a little while ago which was a 'Definitely Maybe' era Oasis album except all the music and lyrics were actually written by some unsigned band with an AI Liam Gallagher singing over the top.

As an Oasis fan I thought it was pretty impressive, but as you say, it's a bit of a warning for the future.

All these bands selling their back catalogue and things like, won't be long before artists, or the people responsible for dead artists estates, sell the rights to their voice and we'll have new Michael Jackson songs.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well I LIKE it (and can very much hear the New Order influence) but I'm not sure I UNDERSTAND it.

Thanks mate.

I wrote (and rewrote) the lyrics, defined the style/genre, arranged the song (a lot of effort) and did the final edit.

AI is performing it (vocals and instruments) and wrote the music.

I've documented (very roughly) the steps here:

Oh, and I did all the video - my first ever. If nothing else, I'm fairly sure I could pass the video element of GCSE Media Studies now. (y)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks mate.

I wrote (and rewrote) the lyrics, defined the style/genre, arranged the song (a lot of effort) and did the final edit.

AI is performing it (vocals and instruments) and wrote the music.

I've documented (very roughly) the steps here:

Oh, and I did all the video - my first ever. If nothing else, I'm fairly sure I could pass the video element of GCSE Media Studies now. (y)

Thanks. Still don't really understand the processes, but somewhat relieved to understand that lots of manual manipulation and human effort / inspiration is required.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's amazing what you can do now isn't it.

For me it's still got too much of an AI feel. But it's terrifying how far we've come in just 2 years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuinely quite enjoyed that. Real early-eighties electronica feel to it. The highs could be higher, and it hits one or two noticeable flat spots, but it's 'only' a demo right? Put it this way, if they were to play it over the whatever-we're-supposed-to-call-speakers-nowadays at the Amex on Sunday, I'd more likely than not reach for Shazam. Nice one!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Genuinely quite enjoyed that. Real early-eighties electronica feel to it. The highs could be higher, and it hits one or two noticeable flat spots, but it's 'only' a demo right? Put it this way, if they were to play it over the whatever-we're-supposed-to-call-speakers-nowadays at the Amex on Sunday, I'd more likely than not reach for Shazam. Nice one!
That's very kind. Thanks.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's amazing what you can do now isn't it.

For me it's still got too much of an AI feel. But it's terrifying how far we've come in just 2 years.
The crunchy, low-fi sound doesn't help. Give it a year or two and it will be studio quality.

For anyone who wants to mess with AI-generated music, https://www.udio.com/ has much better quality than https://suno.com/ - but the former has less favourable T&Cs, and is a little harder to coax apparently.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
BTW, this is the chorus of the latest Pet Shop Boys single - which is EXACTLY the kind of lyrics AI writes if left to its own devices (excuse the pun).

Dancing star, that's what you are
Came so far, you're a dancing star
Dancing star, more power than a tsar
Yes, you are, you're a dancing star

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As Tom Hark says, definitely an early 80s feel, which I love. Apart from that and the obvious New Order reference, I'm also getting bands like Delphic and Nation of Language. I don't think it feels particularly 'artificial' - and if it does, that's kinda the sound a lot of those bands were trying to evoke anyway. Looking forward to hearing it in the new Fanzone! (seriously, I think it would go down well).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really like it, great effort From 2:30 quite special, that crescendo!

As a lifelong fan of electronic, synthwave, new wave, euro dance and dance, to my ear it has a 21st century US synthwave feel.

If I’d heard it on the radio, I’d have rushed to Shazam.

Last edited:

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
BTW, this is the chorus of the latest Pet Shop Boys single - which is EXACTLY the kind of lyrics AI writes if left to its own devices (excuse the pun).

Dancing star, that's what you are
Came so far, you're a dancing star
Dancing star, more power than a tsar
Yes, you are, you're a dancing star
I was going to say a mix of New Order and the Pet Shop Boys.

I like it!

I feel like it would be a solid song on an award winning album… but there’s one or two others songs that go even bigger..

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I like it.

Technically, it is formulaic and limited. Few chords, no key or tempo change, limited vocal range. Not a complex structure.

It's exactly what you'd expect in someone's early songwriting career.

I'd be really interested to see how AI would respond to that feedback.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks for listening and feeding back, all! :thumbsup:

@Barnet Seagull This 'comedy' country song I produced for my wife's birthday might be more up your street. :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like it.

Technically, it is formulaic and limited. Few chords, no key or tempo change, limited vocal range. Not a complex structure.

It's exactly what you'd expect in someone's early songwriting career.

I'd be really interested to see how AI would respond to that feedback.

With a binary “F@ck you” :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports