Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I hope this lot are very wrong!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
By her own admission she wants Potter to succeed. I hope this means she publishes a follow-up article soon to look at our season so far.

It was written by a female? I didn’t notice that. Impressive stuff either way, she certainly “gets” football better than most male journalists.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
just flicked through the OP link . . .what a bunch of clueless sheep . . . .. not a single shepherd with any experience or knowledge. all of them wrong on at least half of their predictions, only a few have guessed anything other than the bleeding obvious correclty ( being Liverpool and Man City)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
just flicked through the OP link . . .what a bunch of clueless sheep . . . .. not a single shepherd with any experience or knowledge. all of them wrong on at least half of their predictions, only a few have guessed anything other than the bleeding obvious correclty ( being Liverpool and Man City)

I'd not seen that before: a terrible set of predictions. If I'd been writing them I'd certainly have mentioned Leicester in the top 4, who were on the rise last season and have a shrewd manager. And I'd have thrown a wild card into the relegation mix (beyond the three promoted clubs and the three who finished just above the drop the previous season) - I'd argued something just to be different.

Only one person predicted anyone outside the Big Six for the top four (and that was Everton).

And they all place far too much emphasis on PL experience - I bet they're all itching for Pulis, BFS, Hughes and Moyes to come back and take their rightful place at the top.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Wow. No way we will finish below 2 of the three promoted teams. Unbelievable that 15/16 have us relegated. Digital muppets. They know very little. Not saying we are certs to stay up but that was a load of rubbish.

Agree we cant be certain that we will not be relegated,its a long trip to end of season, i have kept a copy of this weeks table which showed us in eigtht
position with several top elite clubs below us,could well be our best position ever

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Every single contributer to the original site/article should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and nobody should put any weight in anything they publish ever again.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Read this article by comparison. Informed, considered and intelligent. No "we asked our 15 year old social media work experience spod what he thought here".

Highly recommended read (probably worth its own thread).

https://statsbomb.com/2019/08/brighton-and-hove-albion-2019-20-season-preview/

As others have said...This is brilliant. Interesting to read how Swansea too were in a lower position last year than perhaps they deserved. You do get the feeling that with a bit more practice, a bit more confidence and a bit more composure when the chances come in it could see this side push on and become even better. Certainly you can see it with Connolly and a little with Maupay. If they stop snapping at their chances you get the feeling they could score a truck load.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As others have said...This is brilliant. Interesting to read how Swansea too were in a lower position last year than perhaps they deserved. You do get the feeling that with a bit more practice, a bit more confidence and a bit more composure when the chances come in it could see this side push on and become even better. Certainly you can see it with Connolly and a little with Maupay. If they stop snapping at their chances you get the feeling they could score a truck load.
And for that later Alzate. So composed in setting up his chances but not clinical with the finish. Just a matter of time I hope.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know it's early days, but this is/was a corker:

"Flop of the season:

Leandro Trossard – Not convinced he will fit into the Premier League. Big transfer fee. The team would really have to change their style of play to suit Leandro."

It's almost as if there was logic behind getting that type of player in! Great research into Potter there...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agree we cant be certain that we will not be relegated,its a long trip to end of season, i have kept a copy of this weeks table which showed us in eigtht
position with several top elite clubs below us,could well be our best position ever

Fifth on September 22 1981 after a 1-0 win at Wolves. See the Andy Ritchie interview due to go up on the club website in the next few days.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Follow [MENTION=37874]JoeB[/MENTION]_FI

The Top Four:

1st – Manchester City – They are simply too strong. Watching them against most of the Premier League is like watching Arnold Schwarzenegger fight a small child – a no-contest.

2nd – Liverpool – How the hell is a team this good not the best team in the league? I mean, we know why – Man City – but still. Sod it – they’ll win the Champions League again. They’re too good not to win anything.

3rd – Tottenham – Spurs are probably the best of the rest. They actually signed a few players. Harry Kane will score shed-loads of goals as usual. And they’ll end up third again. Naturally.

4th – Arsenal – Arsenal have signed well and there’s a sense of hope amongst the fans. “Maybe we’ll get top three!“, “Maybe even top two!“. Nope. The natural order has been restored and you’ll be 4th again. And you’ll like it.

The Bottom Three:

18th – Burnley – Don’t get me wrong – I love Sean Dyche. But Burnley were rubbish last season, and they’ll be rubbish again. They’re going down.

19th – Brighton – Chris Hughton did NOTHING wrong. And Brighton will pay the price for not believing in him. The ultimate price. Relegation, shame and regret.

20th – Sheffield United – The only promoted team I think will go straight back down – Sheffield United are a Championship club. Get back where you belong!

One to watch:

Harvey Barnes – There’s a lot of talk about young Leicester players like Chilwell, Demarai Gray, James Maddison et al. But, seriously, Harvey Barnes is the real deal. He’s under the radar at the minute, but he’ll surface, guns blazing in 19/20 like the proverbial submarine he is. What I mean is – he’ll score a load of goals.

A rising star to watch:

Hamza Choudhury – Yep, another 21-year-old Leicester player. Stick to what you know. Great defensively, can move with the ball and slot a pass as well – Hamza is the next big thing in terms of defensive midfielders. He’s also got better hair than your rising star.

The signing of the summer:

Moise Kean – Honestly, I don’t know how Everton pulled this off. Kean is 19, can score under immense pressure, is a future Italy international – why on earth did Juve sell him? Why wasn’t he snapped up by a top-six club? Madness. Either way – it’s a great signing for Everton and he’ll do well there.

Flop of the season:

Phil Jagielka – An average career at Everton culminating in a weak run at Sheffield United. Probably for the best as it’ll put big Phil in the championship. (Note: I don’t hate Sheffield United, I just think they’ll struggle. Sorry, Blades fans.)

The first manager sacked:

Frank Lampard (Chelsea) – Abramovich is like a mad axeman when it comes to chopping heads. Frank hasn’t got the experience to manage a Chelsea team built on rejects, and a shaky start could lead to an early sacking.

This Joe Briggs chap would appear to be utterly clueless about just about everything premier league. Wow

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Follow [MENTION=37874]JoeB[/MENTION]_FI

The Top Four:

1st – Manchester City – They are simply too strong. Watching them against most of the Premier League is like watching Arnold Schwarzenegger fight a small child – a no-contest.

2nd – Liverpool – How the hell is a team this good not the best team in the league? I mean, we know why – Man City – but still. Sod it – they’ll win the Champions League again. They’re too good not to win anything.

3rd – Tottenham – Spurs are probably the best of the rest. They actually signed a few players. Harry Kane will score shed-loads of goals as usual. And they’ll end up third again. Naturally.

4th – Arsenal – Arsenal have signed well and there’s a sense of hope amongst the fans. “Maybe we’ll get top three!“, “Maybe even top two!“. Nope. The natural order has been restored and you’ll be 4th again. And you’ll like it.

The Bottom Three:

18th – Burnley – Don’t get me wrong – I love Sean Dyche. But Burnley were rubbish last season, and they’ll be rubbish again. They’re going down.

19th – Brighton – Chris Hughton did NOTHING wrong. And Brighton will pay the price for not believing in him. The ultimate price. Relegation, shame and regret.

20th – Sheffield United – The only promoted team I think will go straight back down – Sheffield United are a Championship club. Get back where you belong!

One to watch:

Harvey Barnes – There’s a lot of talk about young Leicester players like Chilwell, Demarai Gray, James Maddison et al. But, seriously, Harvey Barnes is the real deal. He’s under the radar at the minute, but he’ll surface, guns blazing in 19/20 like the proverbial submarine he is. What I mean is – he’ll score a load of goals.

A rising star to watch:

Hamza Choudhury – Yep, another 21-year-old Leicester player. Stick to what you know. Great defensively, can move with the ball and slot a pass as well – Hamza is the next big thing in terms of defensive midfielders. He’s also got better hair than your rising star.

The signing of the summer:

Moise Kean – Honestly, I don’t know how Everton pulled this off. Kean is 19, can score under immense pressure, is a future Italy international – why on earth did Juve sell him? Why wasn’t he snapped up by a top-six club? Madness. Either way – it’s a great signing for Everton and he’ll do well there.

Flop of the season:

Phil Jagielka – An average career at Everton culminating in a weak run at Sheffield United. Probably for the best as it’ll put big Phil in the championship. (Note: I don’t hate Sheffield United, I just think they’ll struggle. Sorry, Blades fans.)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea) – Abramovich is like a mad axeman when it comes to chopping heads. Frank hasn’t got the experience to manage a Chelsea team built on rejects, and a shaky start could lead to an early sacking.

This Joe Briggs chap would appear to be utterly clueless about just about everything premier league. Wow

Blimey. That is a spectacular level of wrong. You'd think he'd have got a single thing right at least, even by accident. Nope.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
How about this chap? :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Follow @Ciaran_500

The Top Four:
1st – Tottenham – Tanguy NDombele is going to take us to another level. COYS.

2nd – Manchester City – What more can you say about them? The team to beat and we’ll do it!

3rd – Liverpool – Think they might have a hangover from last season and will impact them hugely.

4th – Everton – I can’t bear the thought of Chelsea, Arenal or Man Utd getting it.

The Bottom Three:

18th – Newcastle – Steve Bruce isn’t an inspiring hire in my opinion.

19th – Brighton – Haven’t strengthened enough to keep them up.

20th – Sheffield United – Did very well to get promoted but don’t think they have enough to stay up.

One to watch:
Kyle Walker-Peters – Got an opportunity this season with Trippier leaving for Atletico and Serge Aurier not being in favour.

Rising star to watch:
Ryan Sessegnon – Another quality signing for us, I think he’ll hit the ground running.

Signing of the summer:
Tanguy NDombele – As mentioned above, I think he will elevate us to the next level. He was brilliant for Lyon last season and we beat of a number of big clubs to secure his signature.

Flop of the season:
Christian Pulisic – Made the mistake of joining Chelsea instead of us!

Graham Potter (Brighton) – Think his inexperience with the brutal nature of the Premier League will see him through the door pretty early.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Blimey. That is a spectacular level of wrong. You'd think he'd have got a single thing right at least, even by accident. Nope.

I'd never heard of any of The Football Index team before NSC drew our attention to them and it doesn't seem I'd missed much.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nailed it.

Flop of the season:

Leandro Trossard – Not convinced he will fit into the Premier League. Big transfer fee. The team would really have to change their style of play to suit Leandro.

Graham Potter (Brighton) – Not convinced by the strength of the squad. Think Brighton will, unfortunately, struggle early in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here