Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have to question Molango and his 3 year deal

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
1) What if he turns out crap?
A big gamble by the club to offer him a long contract (of which you dont seem to get in football these days), he'll end up in the reserves or on loan to Crawley.

2) What if he's Great?
Fair enough, again a gamble but he'll provide us with goals and maybe a couple million ££ if we sell him....nice!

3) Is 3 years in your opinion too long a contract for a trial player who has been with us for a week?
To me it seems too long, 2 years would've done it for me but it is nice to see us tying players down for longer....but hes still got a long way to go to prove he is worthy of it IMO.

4) When do Cullips/Knights contracts run out?
Heard they had been offered 1 year extensions, will that take them to 2006 or 2007? If 2006 then we should offer them the same as Molango? I think Yes.

discuss

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe Mcghee had heard good things and decided to have a look at him before signing him up??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's a young, useful player who looks to have a bit about him. There's always an element of risk when dishing out a contract to a player we don't know much about, but I trust McGhee's judgement on this. We don't know who else may have been interested in Molango, and perhaps the security of a 3 year contract was what swung the deal in our favour.

I would have been VERY disappointed if we'd have lost him to someone else. I can't wait to see more of him this season.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If you're 21 you don't want to be pissing around with 1 year contracts. At that age you need to offer them some security to take the pressure off them. I expect his agent was insistant on it as part of the deal.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Three years does seem a long time. But is it in reality? It only seems like yesterday when we were all trapsing to Medway to watch the beloved Albion.

If Molango is this good, the same amonunt of time will simply fly past. I also trust MM implicitly. His judgement is spot on.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's amazing how people can always find something to moan about with this club.

Yeah, I love it! No matter what they do, you can always have a good moan.

We don't sign anyone and it's:

What the fucks going on? Why haven't we signed anyone? What a joke this club is, i've had it with the Albion. Dick Tight, it's all his fault. Sack the lot that's what I say. Hangings too good for 'em. I've just heard that Bristol Rovers have signed some thirty two year old striker, surely he could have done a job for us? What a disgrace, we're going down for sure. Worst season ever.

We sign someone and it's:

Who the f*** is this bloke? I've never heard of him, must be shit. We've given him a three year contract? What a waste! Surely we should be spending that money better. What a disgrace, this club is a joke. We're going down for sure. Worst season ever.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
When do Cullips/Knights contracts run out?
Heard they had been offered 1 year extensions, will that take them to 2006 or 2007?
I believe Cullip, Knight and Harding have been offered contract extensions beyond next year but have yet to sign. Disappointing in Harding's case as I thought he would be very keen to sign.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not moaning at all (and for the record have never moaned about lack of new signings), all I am doing is questioning a 3 year contract for a player we've seen for 1 week....that is all....its a QUERY not a moan up!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He's 21 innit. Maybe a 3 year deal is what he wanted and what we had to give him to ensure he is an Albion player next season.

Aug 21, 2003
birmingham
a 3 year deal is not that good to a young player! that is fixed wages for 3 years. long contracts are desired by aged pro's who want security as there ability starts to leave them. as a young player you want ideally a 1 year deal so that you can negotiate a better offer for the next season.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'd imagine theres a yearly percentage pay increase and/or promotion/relegation wage increase/decrease in there somewhere.

Well, to answer your question, McGhee has seen enough to think he won't turn out to be a lemon. Barring injury, why should he now disappoint, he has demonstrated the skills in the pre-seasons and in training to be effective at this level.

The potential upside is the crucial thing, a 2-year contract means that if he performs well this season and attracts interest from other clubs, we are suddenly under real pressure to get him to extend his contract, our negotiation position is weakened because he is only a year away from a Bosman.

You have to have the guts to back your judgment and invest in good young players, which is why we've also given 3 years to Virgo et al.

I would have been disappointed if we had only offered him 2 years, but fortunately Dick Knight has put his money where his mouth is and I reckon it will pay off for us. We've got a good, young 'un.

Rejoice at that news, as that old bat Thatch once said.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
THATS the answer I was looking for Irish, thanks, I can rest easy now :D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
saafend_seagull said:
why dont we just have a moan forum?

We do, it's all of them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here