Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have the MLS show on in the background this morning

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
to a certain extent yes, although the 'beckham rule' has meant that the richer clubs can afford the big name players (for example, Chivas couldn't afford a squad containing Beckham, Donovan and Keane like LA had not too long ago), but other than that it's fairly equal what with the salary caps and all that. Whilst there are a few inequalities it's a pretty minor gap between the 'big' and 'small' clubs unlike in most European leagues
Yeah, I was aware of the 'Beckham Rule' and the designated players, which is why I said it isn't quite as egalitarian as the NFL. It's still far more of a level playing field than we're used to though, I think ten different teams have won the MLS Cup since it started in 1996 against four different Premier League champions in the same time period.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I've been watching more and more MLS since being exiled out here in California and it's getting better, but it's by no means great!

I went to the MLS Cup Final last year - LA Galaxy vs New England whatever-theyre-called and it was a total ****ing borefest. Atmosphere was great, fans didnt stop singing throughout in their dedicated section, but it was lower-Championship level at best! And this was the cup final... i've seen other games in the season and i'd agree that it ranges from upper/mid Championship standard to some league 2 bullshit in places...

The standard actually suits me just fine, as its just like i'm watching the Albion. I will say that the atmosphere at places like Portland and Seattle can put us to shame!! Really great displays they can put on with 90 mins of non-stop singing. I was in Seattle for the last game of the season and they have a 'march to match' where everyone meets up downtown to drink a couple of hours before the game, then they march right the way to do the stadium in a procession behind their banner, singing with painted faces, etc.. very good fun!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here