Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate football

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If that's all he gets I'd be amazed and impressed. You're suggesting he doesn't take MASSIVE bribes. I'm shocked that possibility even crossed your mind.

What I think and what I'm prepared to give the lawyers as ammunition are two entirely separate issues. FIFA are rich enough to employ better lawyers than I can.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I think and what I'm prepared to give the lawyers as ammunition are two entirely separate issues. FIFA are rich enough to employ better lawyers than I can.
So don't make direct accusations. That doesn't mean you have to say the opposite of what you think though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like Liverpool, but this from Gerard reinforces why I have little respect for footballers...

"I need to accept it; the decision was right," Gerrard told Sky Sports. "I've let down my team-mates and the fans."

He added: "I take full responsibility. I don't know what caused it. Probably just a reaction to the initial tackle.

"I shouldn't say more about it really. I've just come out here to apologise to the dressing room and supporters."

"I shouldn't say more," he says. Why shouldn't he say more? What the hell does that mean? Show some backbone and explain yourself fully. And how about an apology to Herrera?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If anyone's worried what would happen if America took over football, just watch 10 minutes of sky sports football coverage and you'll see the damage.

The sky sports panellists display similar characteristics to those in mental wards. They talk about the football to an emotional level where they're actually close to tears! Can you imagine someone doing that over a game of snakes and ladders?

Serious stuff this football. no time for a joke.

I'd rather watch the Mayweather v Manny fight than anything football can chuck at me right now. (not including the Albion)

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You know what, I love football. I stood and watched a 6 aside match, in the rain, being played by people I didn't know on a tennis court (no net) at Abergavenny leisure centre on Thursday night. On Friday I took my son to Monmouth for football training with Cardiff City, Saturday I watched him train with Abergavenny and I took 5 of his team to Caldicot on Sunday morning for their league match.....but PL football, internationals and league game not involving the Albion I couldn't give two shits about. Professional football is an innocent game being murdered by corruption, cheating and money. I guess I only watch the Albion through habit and a sense of loyalty to my home town.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well, people say that football is a religion. So perhaps, as Marx said, it's just become the opium of the masses. We're all hooked for all the wrong reasons. Time for a bit of cold Turkey.

I don't want to get rid of football, but if only it would try and appeal to me on a level above my natural affiliation for my club, then perhaps we might get on again.

Have you thought about watching non league football?

I have a season ticket at the AMEX and go to some away games but I also enjoy watching local non league matches.

I have been watching Peacehaven this season as they are just up the road, I've also been to watch Lewes a few times this season. Hopefully I will be making my first visit to watch Whitehawk this Saturday.

Stand or sit where I like, with a pint or a cup of tea watching the action close up. Personally I couldn't go to a pub and watch PL matches on TV , I also haven't got SKY sports or BT Sport.

I also watch plenty of youth football as I've got 2 lads that play, I could never say I hate football when I'm watching the game at this level, even when it's raining and cold.

Jan 30, 2008
You know what, I love football. I stood and watched a 6 aside match, in the rain, being played by people I didn't know on a tennis court (no net) at Abergavenny leisure centre on Thursday night. On Friday I took my son to Monmouth for football training with Cardiff City, Saturday I watched him train with Abergavenny and I took 5 of his team to Caldicot on Sunday morning for their league match.....but PL football, internationals and league game not involving the Albion I couldn't give two shits about. Professional football is an innocent game being murdered by corruption, cheating and money. I guess I only watch the Albion through habit and a sense of loyalty to my home town.
yeah, but you're being mugged off for your loyalty , that's the biggest piss take in anyone's book:nono:
regards
DR

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I have a season ticket at the AMEX and go to some away games but I also enjoy watching local non league matches.

I have been watching Peacehaven this season as they are just up the road, I've also been to watch Lewes a few times this season. Hopefully I will be making my first visit to watch Whitehawk this Saturday.

Stand or sit where I like, with a pint or a cup of tea watching the action close up. Personally I couldn't go to a pub and watch PL matches on TV , I also haven't got SKY sports or BT Sport.

I also watch plenty of youth football as I've got 2 lads that play, I could never say I hate football when I'm watching the game at this level, even when it's raining and cold.

I have recently been very tempted to take in some Lewes games. Something about that club I just like. So, when not watching Albion, I may well pop along there to get some faith restored.

However, I fear the malaise at the heart of football is severe. A behaviour and attitude has set in that is severe. It needs arresting, and the refs have the power to do something about it. I hope they do, and then we might see things turn around a little.

Jan 30, 2008

i was up at LEWES a few years back when they were head to head with Eastbourne boro and they had a couple of good cup draws , breath of fresh air at the time, NOW I REALLY STRUGGLE TO GET INTERESTED IN FOOTBALL AT ALL , the rugby on Saturday against France convinced me of that:thumbsup:
regards
DR

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This post has hit the nail on the head.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
yeah, but you're being mugged off for your loyalty , that's the biggest piss take in anyone's book:nono:
regards
DR
Not really, not any more. The last match ( and straw)'I went to was Cardiff, the only reason I didn't turn around at the ticket office (when they informed me that an adult and child ticket would cost £50) was that I was meeting friends in the stadium. That won't happen again. £50 to take a kid to the football, these football clubs should be ashamed of themselves.

I'll follow the Albion on the radio and here, and go to the odd game when I feel like it, but I'll not be ripped off again. :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i was up at LEWES a few years back when they were head to head with Eastbourne boro and they had a couple of good cup draws , breath of fresh air at the time, NOW I REALLY STRUGGLE TO GET INTERESTED IN FOOTBALL AT ALL , the rugby on Saturday against France convinced me of that:thumbsup:
regards
DR
I went to a Lewes v Eastbourne match and I think they had 1,500 at The Dripping Pan.
When Steve King was manager the first time I used to go regularly to watch Lewes, I always saw a decent match.

I have tried watching rugby on TV but i can't get into it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that the pull of football has gone, certainly in my experience. At one time, at the goldstone, gillingham and withdean, I would go to almost every away game, certainly every home game and went to a few england games at home and abroad. I suppose I was what you would call a obsessive. When the girls came along, laura was more interested and we both went to home and away games together and as she went off to Uni, my away trips finally stopped.

In the last few years I have been to a couple away but almost all the home games.

Now I have packed in cricket after 45 years, I have started playing golf more seriously, every Saturday morning come rain or shine and Wednesday and Thursday eveings in the summer. So next season I have renewed, although the two people I used to go with Tony and Paul will not be there next year. My subs go up to £550, so I can still justify golf and a football STH. But 2017/18 my golf subs goes up to £990 and I can't justify paying for two, therefore football ST will go. I hope to get tickets on the day if the game is worth going to, but if I can't then ok fine.

I have become so bored with modern football and as great the stadium is, I don't go to look at a stadium..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have recently been very tempted to take in some Lewes games. Something about that club I just like. So, when not watching Albion, I may well pop along there to get some faith restored.

However, I fear the malaise at the heart of football is severe. A behaviour and attitude has set in that is severe. It needs arresting, and the refs have the power to do something about it. I hope they do, and then we might see things turn around a little.

Lewes is a decent club, a nice little ground, always a friendly atmosphere and decent beer on sale.

I pay very little attention to what happens in the PL and Champions League, but watch MOTD occasionally with my youngest son, I usually find myself getting annoyed by the cheating and standard of refereeing.

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
There appears to be a complete and total unwillingness to change the cynical play we see day in day out and this is thing that annoys me the most.

Why do we not have sin bins, why do we not have referees who are respected by the players, why do the players who call the referee sir......the list is endless. The FA need instigate change and they don't seem to be willing to do this. From next season the only players to speak to the ref are the captain and the penalised player, ten minutes in the sin bin for these offences etc.

Of course they'll be excuses....FIFA, Premier League power but the FA can and should make these changes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really liked the suggestion by Martin Samuel the other day. The rule should be that only the captain is allowed to talk to the referee. If anyone transgresses this, then the CAPTAIN gets booked. Someone does it again and yup, the captain gets sent off. This way, the captain takes FULL responsibility for the behaviour of his team mates towards the officials.

Imagine John Terry getting binned off because some pampered overpaid prick gobbed off to the ref after somebody looked at his ankle funny. God I'd love that.

Naturally most footballers are cheating thickos, so obviously if this was brought in you'd get quite a few captains getting carded for a while. But they'd soon get the message. I'd bloody love that to be brought in. I can't think of one good reason not to.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Corruption in Rugby also only slightly different ....just depends on what school tie you wear and if your names Rupert or Jeremy .

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I really liked the suggestion by Martin Samuel the other day. The rule should be that only the captain is allowed to talk to the referee. If anyone transgresses this, then the CAPTAIN gets booked. Someone does it again and yup, the captain gets sent off. This way, the captain takes FULL responsibility for the behaviour of his team mates towards the officials.

Imagine John Terry getting binned off because some pampered overpaid prick gobbed off to the ref after somebody looked at his ankle funny. God I'd love that.

Naturally most footballers are cheating thickos, so obviously if this was brought in you'd get quite a few captains getting carded for a while. But they'd soon get the message. I'd bloody love that to be brought in. I can't think of one good reason not to.

Every team would make their shittest player their de facto captain!

I also find it hard to like football at the moment. My son's off to uni next season, and so we haven't renewed, and don't know whether we/I will as yet. I'll still go to most home games (a mate has an ST and can't make evening games, so he says I can use it - that's most games these days!) but awaydays don't seem an attractive proposition anymore.

I can't be bothered with non-league either. Lewes is a good laugh, but I don't care if they win or not. And it's rare that I can't find something more interesting to do.

I don't know. It just all feels so formulaic these days.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Not sure what the answer is really, really love the new stadium and have renewed for another season. But in a funny way think as a fan felt more part of it back in the dark days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every team would make their shittest player their de facto captain!

I also find it hard to like football at the moment. My son's off to uni next season, and so we haven't renewed, and don't know whether we/I will as yet. I'll still go to most home games (a mate has an ST and can't make evening games, so he says I can use it - that's most games these days!) but awaydays don't seem an attractive proposition anymore.

I can't be bothered with non-league either. Lewes is a good laugh, but I don't care if they win or not. And it's rare that I can't find something more interesting to do.

I don't know. It just all feels so formulaic these days.

Slight irony here is that as a relative JCL, I have found the few awaydays I have done in the last couple of seasons more fun than most of the home games, even when we've lost. I've even just booked tiks for Rotherham FFS :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here