Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I got this from the NIMBYs yesterday.....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I quite often park in Falmer village and yesterday I returned to my car to find this on the windscreen:

Falmer Parish Council
Please note that you will not be able to park here in the village on Tuesday February 1st as a site survey is being held for the football stadium public inquiry.
The police will have no parking cones in place and will monitor the village throughout the day.

Now, what I want to know is if this is really true. I am a bit suspicious and think that they may be trying to clear the village of traffic to make it look to the inspector like a lovely quiet rural spot. It is normally full of cars and emptying it is not going to give the inspector a true picture of what it is like now. Also, why would they need to clear the village of traffic for a site survey of the stadium? Is it real or is it a nimby tactic? Lord B? Anyone?

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Better? :rolleyes:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Park there anyway.

I'll certainly go and try. The thing is though that most people won't because they'll believe it. However, it would look better for us if the village was full of cars and not the idyllic place they make it out to be.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
After you have parked make sure you stir up the pond a bit with a stick to all the gunk and gunge rises to the top, and don't forget to chuck a supermarket trolley in

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If they try and make it a car free zone for the day the inspectors visit then it will present an untrue picture of what a stinking little shitwhole Falmer actually is, and that can't be right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Need to get a steer from Lord B. - but it might be worth getting in contact with Sussex Police and/or Traffic department at the Council.

It could be that someone has just got hold of some cones and is using them in an unofficial capacity. If that's the case - we need to make sure that the village is clogged with parked cars on the day in question.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is the inspector going to look at Falmer, or just the alternative sites?

Their tactic is to make Falmer look like a quiet, peaceful village. Unless you are stone deaf and blind, you can tell in half a second that this is not the case. Meanwhile, a quarter of a mile away, down a dip and inside the boundary of Brighton & Hove, a cathedral of sport is being planned. Marvellous.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
gazwag said:
After you have parked make sure you stir up the pond a bit with a stick to all the gunk and gunge rises to the top, and don't forget to chuck a supermarket trolley in

and release some rats while you're at it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Best bet is to get a digital camera and take a series of pics showing "the true parking nature of Falmer Village" so that when the NIMBYS jump up and down about how idyllic it is you jump up with pictures proving they are wrong!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bozza said:
Need to get a steer from Lord B. - but it might be worth getting in contact with Sussex Police and/or Traffic department at the Council.

It could be that someone has just got hold of some cones and is using them in an unofficial capacity. If that's the case - we need to make sure that the village is clogged with parked cars on the day in question.
The downside to that is that the inspector may have the opinion that Falmer is permanently clogged, and, if this is the yardstick for traffic issues, then Sheepcote might not be a bad option after all.

That's a bit of a him-fisted way of explaining things, but I know what I mean. I think.

larus

Need to check if this is legitimate.

Maybe :
1. Contact the Police the see if this is correct.
2. Contact Mr Perry by email and advise him. Forwarned is forearmed (or whatever that expression is...)

If this turns out to be incorrect, this maybe able to be submitted to the next enquiry and used against them.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
larus said:
Need to check if this is legitimate.

Maybe :
1. Contact the Police the see if this is correct.
2. Contact Mr Perry by email and advise him. Forwarned is forearmed (or whatever that expression is...)

If this turns out to be incorrect, this maybe able to be submitted to the next enquiry and used against them.

Whats Martin Perry's email?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Quick question - if you are able to park there legally, why would the police be monitoring the area.

Gumpf and bullshit says I...

Inquiry Inspectors aren't stupid enough to allow a first impression to determine the last word.

This Inspector will already have made an informal visit to Falmer on his own (they do that sort of thing). He'll have reams of information available to him, in the form of traffic counts and consultants' reports, that will count for more.

And, anyway, what can you learn about the traffic effect of a football stadium on a street half a mile away by looking at conditions on a Tuesday morning? Match day parking will be heavily regulated (and prohibited in Falmer Village to spectators). Tuesday parking in Falmer South is currently unregulated.

My advice is to help the Inquiry do its job by not parking in Falmer Village. And not worry about it. They've got nine sites (including Falmer) to fit into this tour - and only one day to complete it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here