I Fancy Us..........

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most big tourneys over the last 6 / 8 years I've tried to work on the basis of 'Hope' rather than 'Expect' and, for the most part, I haven't been too disappointed.

However, I'm buoyed by the fact that Sven is bullish, positive in his statements...'We can win the competition.. if we have a little luck...and steer free of injuries.......' The squad in press conferences are of the same ilk...confident without being unrealistic or cocky. The most positive I've heard / seen since Sir Alf....

Oh, and I loved it when Sven quoted some stats at Garth Crooks on BBC tonight. And when the presenter says on BBCi that he was 'clutching at straws', WHY? Every other industry in the world uses stats to analyse their progress. Why shouldn't Sven?

COME on !

He pointed out that, percentage-wise, we had more possesion in our game against Paraguay than France, Germany, Italy (I think) and Brazil in their respective matches. We also had the joint most shots on goal (13) with Brazil.

I was actually mildly impressed by the usually so bland and f***ing irritating Swede.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
yeah well even sven would look impressive alongside garth crooks.

even george w.bush could outwit a round of questions with garth.

Sven was quoting official FIFA stats, puts us in the top 'division' in terms of possession, shots on goal and shots on target.

The presenter on BBCi (can't find his name and wasn't paying attention when the caption came up) said that Sven was clutching at straws based on the second half performance v Paraguay. Basically he's talking 'art' / interpretation (which is not entirely without some merit) vs cold hard F.A.C.T.S

COME on !

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
Thankyou chaps.

I think he has a point. To be fair to England, noone has started well in this world cup, bar Spain and maybe Argentina.

The Czechs?

coach03 said:
Sven was quoting official FIFA stats, puts us in the top 'division' in terms of possession, shots on goal and shots on target.

The presenter on BBCi (can't find his name and wasn't paying attention when the caption came up) said that Sven was clutching at straws based on the second half performance v Paraguay. Basically he's talking 'art' / interpretation (which is not entirely without some merit) vs cold hard F.A.C.T.S

COME on !

It would be interesting to see the stat of how many times England gave away possession compared to the other teams.

coach03 said:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/stats/index.html

Not sure if 'giving up possession' is in there....but I'm looking....

Code Description
A Assists
CRN Corner kicks
CRS Crosses
FBA Fast break attacks
FC Fouls committed
FRE Free kicks (shots on goal)
FS Fouls suffered
GA Goals against
GAA Goals against average
GF Goals for
GFA Goals for average
HDR Headers
LP Long passes
MinP Minutes played
MP Matches played
OFFS Offsides
PG Penalty kick goals
PS Penalty kick shots
RC Red Cards
S Shots
SOG Shots on goal
SP Short passes
SV Saves
SVC Corner kicks saved
SVF Free kicks saved
SVFB Fast break attacks saved
SVP Penalty kicks saved
TC Tackles committed
TS Tackles suffered
YC Yellow Cards

.........no, doesn't look like it. Although you'd normally see 'completed passes' and 'incomplete passes' if that's what you were analysing.

Most of these stats are 'positive' in outlook whereas 'incomplete passes' would be negative.

It may bet a relevant area to look at, but there are a whole series of stats (not necessarily on FIFA) that show that most goals are scored from mistakes, not from possession.

COME on !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
coach03 said:

COME on !

That annoys me about the BBC - They have been slamming England all week when if you look at the opening game none of the fancied teams played well apart from The Czechs - Infact Brazil got lucky, France should have lost and Germany altho have won the first two games dont look all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports