Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I don't get it ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I said the same in the match day thread before the game started. Should play at least two wingers and take the game to the opposition. Our line up at home seems most of the time that we're the away team. Makes no sense to me what so ever.

Tend to agree with you. Not sure I understand OG's tactics. I really really want to see more Albion goals ... otherwise a partial refund on my season ticket.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Before Greer got sent off Reading we're so much the better side. If anything it felt like we were 2 players down when Captain Greer received his marching orders. We just didn't get going. Again. Our positions not bad but it's like a championship mike bailey team at times. We are just boring to watch. Pedestrian, pass pass pass but then awful control, a woeful cross, out muscled or just no idea what to do going forward and the opposition soon have the ball back.

Let's not forget this isn't anything especially new. We've been shot and goal shy for many games over past 3 seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were woeful throughout. Reading moved the ball with far more purpose and tho I've not looked up the stats Reading must easily have had a couple of dozen shots off target. If they could have hit a cow's arse with a banjo the score would have been about 5-1 as a minimum. Just won't do. :nono:

That is exactly how I saw it

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Before Greer got sent off Reading we're so much the better side. If anything it felt like we were 2 players down when Captain Greer received his marching orders. We just didn't get going. Again. Our positions not bad but it's like a championship mike bailey team at times. We are just boring to watch. Pedestrian, pass pass pass but then awful control, a woeful cross, out muscled or just no idea what to do going forward and the opposition soon have the ball back.

Let's not forget this isn't anything especially new. We've been shot and goal shy for many games over past 3 seasons.

This sums it up perfectly. Tedious is the word I use.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I accept that I'm probably in the minority on this but I thought our midfield play in the first half was quite good. The final ball was poor but from where I was sitting (south stand) we were exploiting the space we were creating quite well. Just a shame Dave's crosses were poor. Was impressed with Lingard too I have to say.

Crosses were poor or a lack of bodies in the box to get on the end of the crosses? (which has been a recurring theme this entire season and may be due to our most attack minded players like Orlandi and Buckley suffering from injuries for most of it)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Crosses were poor or a lack of bodies in the box to get on the end of the crosses? (which has been a recurring theme this entire season and may be due to our most attack minded players like Orlandi and Buckley suffering from injuries for most of it)

Bit of both. Dave's delivery in to the box today was pretty lacklustre, often over hit or no one on the end of them.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
4-5-1 is a defensive formation.

4-5-1 is an even more defensive formation when you consider only 1 of those forward 6 players has any pace.

It's over 3 months since we scored more than once in the league, that's extremely poor.

Would you say Arsenal are a defensive team then?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
We were poor last week at Millwall and this was no better today. I am not knocking Oscar and believe he will be a good coach for us but apart from the odd game I am yet to see the passing style of last season with an emphasis on more attacking as we told we would be getting at the beginning of the season. Today was another example of a lack of pace in the team (except Lingard). With no outlet we result to hopeful long balls to Leo and therefore handing possession back to Reading. I can't remember once getting behind their full backs.
To be honest I would have preferred it if Oscar had started 2 of Buckley, March and Lua Lua and we had lost having a real go at attacking football. Finding it all a bit George Graham at the moment!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I actually got to the match today, which is a rare treat.

A strange game. It actually had everything that you could wish for in terms of entertainment. Comedy own goal, disallowed goal, bizarre corner incident, sending off, instant hate figure for the crowd to get onto, backs to the wall tension etc.

However, if I'm honest, I would have to say that I was disappointed with the attacking threat that we posed. We made almost nothing with 11 men on the pitch and owed our lead to the opposition. Oddly, we seemed a little more lively in the second half with ten men. Buckley looked sharp and only a cracking save by the keeper kept out his effort in injury time.

Disappointed in the ref. Ulloa had players scything through the back of him all afternoon and got nothing. Elbows flying and all sorts.

For all of those that like a binfest though, consider this. I spent seven years abroad and when I finally got back for a game my first match was the defeat against the 9 men of Walsall in Withdean. We really have come SO far since then. We may nt get promotion but we are a solid team with a solid ground and solid support. Happy days.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
We were woeful throughout. Reading moved the ball with far more purpose and tho I've not looked up the stats Reading must easily have had a couple of dozen shots off target. If they could have hit a cow's arse with a banjo the score would have been about 5-1 as a minimum. Just won't do. :nono:

According to the BBC Championship website Reading had 27 shots with six on target to our 6 with 1 on target - OK Greer got sent off but overall we were out-played and out-thought!
Teams work us out and despite being unpopular on here Adkins is no mug play high up the pitch, close us down quickly and they will force errors and get chances - fvcken simple!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the BBC Championship website Reading had 27 shots with six on target to our 6 with 1 on target - OK Greer got sent off but overall we were out-played and out-thought!
Teams work us out and despite being unpopular on here Adkins is no mug play high up the pitch, close us down quickly and they will force errors and get chances - fvcken simple!

We need a plan B

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

You are dead right. If you start with a midfield of Lopez Andrews Ince and Forster Caskey and have 3 wingers on the bench then you get what you pay for. Sophisticated Barcelona type passing football? Not quite!!. Long balls pumped up to a centre forward with 2 or 3 defenders grappling with him. Hopeless and boring. Sometimes managers think they are too clever for their own good.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
We are fine until we go 1-0 up or we have to chase the game and then our midfield sit far too deep in front of the back four and so there's no outlet for the counter attack.

It's very negative and was exactly the way Arsenal used to play in the early 90s. It was successful then but not now.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We should go back to two fullbacks, two wing halves flanking Roy Jennings, two wingers, two inside forwards and Bill Curry. Dave Hollins in goal. It would be a marvel to behold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here