Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I can't see"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Arrived in my ST seat in the NS and felt uncomfortable standing up. I'm a reasonable kind of person so rather than get annoyed I sat down for the majority of the game........however.........

One of the reasons I enjoy my seat is that since "the Amex" opened I've stood all game, every game. For 2 1/2 years no one has complained about my standing.

Today was (result excluded) an infuriating experience.

Please don't bring young children/wives/girlfriends into what you know will be an area that might contain some "industrial" language &/or standing and then complain. If I think the referee/opposing manager is a c*nt I will say so. If you want to stand up, as I do every week, please adjust your own view rather than moan like Adam Lallana.

Rant over

We could split the difference and have you sit on a 3' spike ?

IanH

9sept1978
Nov 6, 2010
Young man....you have a lot to learn with the selfish attitude of 'I'll stand if I want'...one day if you're lucky, you will reach the age of not being able to stand up....just have a thought for the people behind you...some cannot stand and they do not buy a ticket to stare at the back of your jacket. If you want to stand...you have the back row...but today it's...I'm alright...s*d you...suppose it's modern society.

Just for the record you seem to have leapt to a number of conclusions based on little evidence...suppose it's modern society. "Young" ....I wish. "Selfish attitude of I'll stand if I want",....actually I sat down when asked politely and reduced my enjoyment for that of the newcomer behind. My point was I have a preference and as such go to a very limited part of the ground with a poor view. If someone asks me to sit I will. But, I would argue it's more selfish to visit a new place and then expect the locals to adopt your preferences. When in Rome and all that. If I went in the west or east stand I would certainly expect to sit for the entire game.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
"I'm fully entitled to sit at the back of the North Stand, sit down quietly and moan at everyone else."

^^^^^^ That is what is wrong with our atmosphere, too many people like that.

Only just caught up with this thread, but this is spot on. There are usually between twenty and twenty five THOUSAND seats in the ground where you can sit and watch the game without fear of somebody daring to stand up and ruin your view, so if you are somebody who wants to avoid this, why pick one of the few where people want to stand and create an atmosphere? There's even seats behind the goal (South Stand) for people like this now, so even that argument is dead.

As for somebody comparing it to the cinema, well that just sums up the problem with our fan demographic.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Only just caught up with this thread, but this is spot on. There are usually between twenty and twenty five THOUSAND seats in the ground where you can sit and watch the game without fear of somebody daring to stand up and ruin your view, so if you are somebody who wants to avoid this, why pick one of the few where people want to stand and create an atmosphere? There's even seats behind the goal (South Stand) for people like this now, so even that argument is dead.

As for somebody comparing it to the cinema, well that just sums up the problem with our fan demographic.

Let's look at it from another perspective; if a parent wanted to take their kids with them and little Timmy's wanted to sit behind the goal, would you choose to sit with the home fans, or near the away fans (where no doubt they'd be subjected to far worse vitriol than in the North)?

If someone has paid for their seat then they are entitled to use it how they see fit (as long as it follows the ruies/laws etc etc) - that goes for people wanting to stand and sing but also for people who may want to sit or let their kids sit etc. It's about respect and acceptance, from both sides.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let's look at it from another perspective; if a parent wanted to take their kids with them and little Timmy's wanted to sit behind the goal, would you choose to sit with the home fans, or near the away fans (where no doubt they'd be subjected to far worse vitriol than in the North)?

If someone has paid for their seat then they are entitled to use it how they see fit (as long as it follows the ruies/laws etc etc) - that goes for people wanting to stand and sing but also for people who may want to sit or let their kids sit etc. It's about respect and acceptance, from both sides.

I guess that depends on whether you are bothered about the stadium having an atmosphere or not. Little Timmy can go in the North Stand once he's old enough. What's the problem with that? When I wasn't a lad I wasn't allowed to go in the North until I was a young adult, I always went in the West or the South with my Dad. If anything it made it more exciting once I was old enough to go in the North. If I end up taking kids to football there is no way I'll take them in the North until they are old enough. That's what the family stand is for. That's why it's called the family stand.

I agree it's about respect and acceptance on both sides, the North stand types who want to stand and sing and jump around don't go and do it in the family stand, so the family stand types shouldn't go in the North Stand and expect people to behave in the same way they do in the family stand. That's the whole point in having a family stand. If families refuse to go in it and choose to sit in the North instead, then I don't see how they can complain about people in there not behaving in a suitable way for families.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I guess that depends on whether you are bothered about the stadium having an atmosphere or not. Little Timmy can go in the North Stand once he's old enough. What's the problem with that? When I wasn't a lad I wasn't allowed to go in the North until I was a young adult, I always went in the West or the South with my Dad. If anything it made it more exciting once I was old enough to go in the North. If I end up taking kids to football there is no way I'll take them in the North until they are old enough. That's what the family stand is for. That's why it's called the family stand.

I agree it's about respect and acceptance on both sides, the North stand types who want to stand and sing and jump around don't go and do it in the family stand, so the family stand types shouldn't go in the North Stand and expect people to behave in the same way they do in the family stand. That's the whole point in having a family stand. If families refuse to go in it and choose to sit in the North instead, then I don't see how they can complain about people in there not behaving in a suitable way for families.

I think a lot of it comes down to education - the club could be clearer about the stands. So when a family decide they want to sit somewhere other than the Family Stand, then when booking tickets they can be made aware that the atmosphere/language etc may be somewhat different to other parts of the stadium. Especially if the parent/s are first timers to the Amex too.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think a lot of it comes down to education - the club could be clearer about the stands. So when a family decide they want to sit somewhere other than the Family Stand, then when booking tickets they can be made aware that the atmosphere/language etc may be somewhat different to other parts of the stadium. Especially if the parent/s are first timers to the Amex too.

Yep, fair point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here