Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I cant be the only one who doesn't like Christmas

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do you mean appropriating the traditions and stories of other religions?

No, I mean that the ultimate gift was God giving his son etc etc. That the Christian Faith is about values, and tolerance and forgiveness etc etc.

No doubt that will start a torrent about the Crusades, and some (nutcase) Churches denouncing homosexuality and so on, but broadly speaking anything that is done to persecute or discriminate against others is "not Christian".

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest ye be judged. If anybody can point me towards any stories where JC ignored someone, or condemned them or whatever, I would be very surprised. The only possible exception to that would be the throwing out of the moneylenders from the Temple, which would be taken as righteous anger...… because what they were doing was outrageous, a bit like having loan sharks operating out of Westminster Abbey with impunity.

So basically, I love you all! …. which is why I don't have anyone on ignore.:smile:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The vote seems evenly split - lets have a referendum to see if we should, as a nation, ditch Christmas or continue?

For me, I'm in the bah-humbug camp. I too despise the gratuitous waste of the whole thing, but like many, roll out the hypocrite cloak and get all festive because it's what we told we're supposed to do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a kid I went to a C of E school and when you actually believe in the birth of Christ and Father Christmas it is a majical time. Now as a non-believer I still love it, the more hype the better for me. Even non-believers tend to gather their family together at this time, so maybe the Lord works in mysterious ways. Love buying gifts for my kids, even the adult ones and can't wait for Christmas Eve when we will all be in the same house again for a few days. :xmas:

At Primary school in the 70’s, I couldn’t stand most hymns in assembly, but loved it when we got to December with Christmas Carols. Innocent times, lovely memories.

el punal

Actually I like Christmas but not for worshiping a Saviour named Jesus Christ which most Christians don't do with their whole heart. I like it for the good in human nature that it brings out in people.

The Christmas songs, that most people like, even the religious ones, are great songs.

As in “Hark, now hear the Brighton sing as Palace run away!” - that sort of song? :drink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Count yourself lucky - when the ex-Mrs W and I divorced she swore I'd never see my kids on Christmas Day - sadly he's been good to her word ! One of the reasons I hate Christmas and run away.

It's no consolation but I know how you feel. Last time I saw my daughter at Christmas was 2010, (have only seen her twice since then at any time, and she's now 24). At the same time it is only fair to put on a smile and make an effort for other people, there's nothing to be gained from being a wet blanket, even if inside you're feeling like shite.

How do we stand on "round robin" Christmas Newsletters??

Just had one via email with photos from friends going into minute details of their year. Lots of mentions of what their relatives (who we do not know) have been up to, mainly producing further offspring it seems. In places it seems to veer toward being a parody of itself to the level that I am beginning to think it is well constructed joke which only the senders get?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No one can hate Christmas more than a Jehovas Witness!

Poor sods have to have Christmas rammed down their throats if they can't work on Crimbo Day and Boxing Day, they can't give or receive cards or pressies and everywhere is tarted up with tinsel and Holly to remind them constantly what they can't take part in. A JW girl I worked with couldn't even come to the works crimbo party!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Just had one via email with photos from friends going into minute details of their year. Lots of mentions of what their relatives (who we do not know) have been up to, mainly producing further offspring it seems. In places it seems to veer toward being a parody of itself to the level that I am beginning to think it is well constructed joke which only the senders get?

The issue now is nobody sends letters anymore. I don't mind a winter season family newsletter every now and then.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Either way for me doesn't bother me ,will work till the 24th . Was going to go back the day after NYD ,but suggested to the better half we go to visit her Father in County Durham who has refused to come South this year . Up north from the 29th to the 3rd ,a few phone calls last night and i've grabbed a ticket for Newcastle v Leicester in the away end NYD . A new tick and a day on the pop in Newcastle is happy days for me ,though i have to survive NYE in her local which is a very strange village local.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Wife thinks its because I'm a miserable ******* in general but I just find Christmas a drudge. I hate the false bonhomie, the buying and receiving of utter tat ("ooo, a bottle of beer and a glass, thanks"), day after day of gorging oneself because we've bought too much food, endless crap TV "christmas specials", bollocksing up the football schedules, pubs full of amateur drinkers, houses covered in twinkly lights, the wastefulness of christmas cards (I told wife I thought we should donate to the RNLI instead but was shot down).
There's probably more.
Please tell me I'm not alone on this one.

:bigwave:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've also reached the point I have no patience for Christmas and face it with increasing dread each year. I seem to spend the whole of December managing the stress of other people who are getting fraught about everything from what to wear for work parties, secret santa nonsense, gifts for family, food, traffic, travel to the in-laws, obligatory mince pies with people you see once a year, guilt at receiving cards that haven't been reciprocated... It's like the "happy" part of "happy Christmas" has disappeared for many under the barrage of social expectations yet very few are prepared to take a step away from it all.

And Christmas jumpers are the worst. Spending £15 on something made in a sweatshop so you can show how charitable and fun you are by donating £1 to charity for the privelege.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As someone who loves giving presents I have mixed feelings. I hate all the crap surrounding it, decorations, music, hypocrisy, enforced jollity, worshipping imaginary friends, etc. But then I love building a small pile of things I think my close family will appreciate - big fans of the "lots of little things" option and tend to pick useful stuff that perhaps they wouldn't think of getting themselves.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't remember seeing so many houses with Christmas lights in November, I think I noticed one last year in Newhaven.
This year half way through November I saw at least 5, and in the last week of November I stopped counting.
Ours will be going up this weekend.

I understand shops start with Christmas stuff very early but I haven't got a clue why someone wants lights and decorations on their house on November 14th ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The issue now is nobody sends letters anymore. I don't mind a winter season family newsletter every now and then.

Sorry - is this really a thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here