Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Blubbed today at the Cenotaph along with many around me

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So on another thread you shrug off people defacing war memorials as " extreme measures for extreme times" and then expect people to believe you went to church for a VE Day service and made yourself busy in your local reminding the staff about a minutes silence , course you did ........... :tosser:[/

Not really the thread for this kind of silly nonsense. Perhaps a PM would have been more appropriate if you really felt the need to express your general disbelief. I never condoned vandalism to a war memorial. I referred to the protest itself.
I understand you are trying to put me down at every opportunity and you have your own reasons I'm sure Bushy but time and a place eh, this is neither.

Last edited:

Just out of interest.

Did we remember the Napoleonic war veterans and dead like we have with WW 1 and 2?

Not that I have read, but then WW1 was really the first conflict in which conscription played a massive role, and the sheer scale of the slaughter brought about by new Industrial type weapons was unprecedented.

Newsreels also would have played a large part in bringing the slaughter to a mass audience.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Superb. Reminds me of both my Grandads who were amongst the brave soldiers & are no longer with us :thumbsup:

Both my grandads were in reserved occupations. My grandad Reg , my mum's dad, was a miner in South Wales and my grandad Jack, on my dads side worked in a ball bearings/ electric motor manufacturing company in Huddersfield which the Germans tried many times to flatten the factory...the bombers skimmed over the rooves of my nan's house to make their runs and she always said she could hear the bomb doors opening! Terrifying! The factory was built just by what is now the Huddersfield football Stadium

Horrible place isn't it

Certainly what took place there. We took our kids (both in their late 20's), bleak and industrial are a couple of adjectives they came up with. Thought we were all going to be in bits but none of us really was in the end.
Auschwitz I was more thought provoking and we all learnt something about politically stoked up nationalism and the persecution of minorities, particularly from the Schindler museum in Krakow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here