I Am Going To Support Hughton...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Hughton's got his work cut out faced with sorting out a static defence, non existent forward line and a midfield that flatters to deceive. Not impressed tactically or as a leader so far but it would be a bit outrageous if he wasn't given until at least Xmas '15. He's got enough credentials to be given that at least.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The damage was done in the transfer windows prior to his arrival. There's only so much a manager can do with the players at his disposal. Sami got the brunt of the abuse as he took on a poor squad at a club used to challenging at the top end of the table. I don't think Hughton's going to get too much stick this season as everyone's smart enough to know there's a rebuilding job to be done. Obviously he'll be in trouble if next season starts in the same fashion that we're ending this one but hopefully we'll be in better shape going into next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the OP but with one caveat - he needs a strikers coach. It would be great if Nathan Jones got a chance to manage in the lower leagues and Hughton replaced him with someone to work on the attacking side.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Good post. We are in danger of becoming one of,those tin pot nasty clubs who churn managers all the time
The way to prevent us 'churning managers all the time' would be to hire the right one in the first place and then let football people assemble the squad. I can't see Burke causing all of this shit on his own so whoever is poking their oar in when selecting players I'd like to say "Keep the feck away from transfer dealings from now on in". Somebody famously said 'judge us at the end of the transfer window' or something like that. I was fooled by the bullshit. Now we are close to relegation and in a good position to judge them: You lot fecked up on a grand scale, on all levels! Keep away from anything to do with player selections because you're clearly not very good at it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Mine has wavered considerably. As I said on another thread, the thing that particularly irritates me is his constant switching between strikers from one game to the next and even one half to the next. How is a striker ever going to gain confidence or get used to playing with his team mates when he's not given a run of games? I know he maybe wants to look at all his options, but that is not the way to do it. He should have stuck with O'Grady who had been playing well under Nathan Jones and given him a decent run of games to really see what he could do. His current policy has, as we well know, achieved absolutely nothing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am going to support Brighton and Hove Albion.

If Hughton is the man in charge, so be it - seems a good bloke, and I hope he is ultimately a huge success. He has done very little to inspire thus far, though, irrespective of the poor tools he's had to work with. The squad really isn't THAT bad, but his relentlessly negative, play not to lose tactics put a team low on confidence, on the back foot from the first minute.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am NOT going to be supporting Chris Hughton. Here is my reason:-

He truly believes that Leon Best is the dogs bollocks.

It's all I need. The mans judgment is seriously flawed.

Oh...and the dire, boring, passionless going nowhere, hoof it up the front style of footie.

Thank you.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

When has he said this? He's got 3 fit strikers who aren't scoring goals, what choice has he got?

I think 'Best' has seriously let him down. I'd be amazed if he tries to sign him in the summer.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Expecting to get shot down for it, but here are my reasons:

1) He was coach at Spurs for 10 years, working with 10 different managers. Spurs are not known for employing cautious managers, and not one of these managers chose to get rid of him;

2) Newcastle United supporters staged a protest when he was fired, having got them promoted and comfortably in mid-table. Newcastle fans are not known for their tolerance of boring football. Many pundits, including Alan Shearer were shocked and disappointed when he was sacked. I think most of the country were;

3) Took Birmingham City to 4th in the Championship;

4) Kept Norwich above the relegation zone in the Premiership- until he was fired. Norwich were then relegated.

It is widely known that his first job was to keep us up. It looks pretty likely this is going to happen now.

He has signed a cracker in Kayal.

If you look into his background everyone you speak to says he is an intelligent man, a thinker. Faced with our squad, it looks rather like he is making us hard to beat, knowing that as we are not going to score goals the best way to counteract that is not to concede. Over the past 3 games, the BBC make us as having twice as many attempts on goal as our opponents. Ok, not shots on target, but it is accepted that our strike force is poor.

Ok, he signed Leon Best. From working with him in previous years, he obviously thought that 'Best' could help out with a few goals. Best has been dire, of course, but players let managers down. I'm sure he won't be returning.

Hughton has a good record in this division. He has to work with the group of players that he has been given. I think we should hold our nerve and give him backing in the transfer market. If we are still playing like this in December, then think again. Until then, I'm going to give the man a chance.

Taking cover now!
Good stuff but my main criticism would be, why should you give a toss about being unpopular with knee jerk reactionary, toys out of pram, impatient 'fans'?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Up until the recent dirth of goals, I was very pleased with his efforts to date. The recent run a has dented my confidence in his ability to get the best out of what he's got. I say that not just because of the lack of decent results but because not enough players appear to be putting the effort in. We do not appear to want it enough as a team (with a few notable exceptions).

Is this enough to sack him? No
What if we get relegated, sack him then? No. Not unless we feel we can find someone better

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Best clearly isn't the dog's bollocks. But well worth a punt; he has been a good player at an earlier stage of his career, but has gone downhill of late - lost his mojo, if you like. We haven't paid a transfer fee, nor presumably a signing fee - all it has cost us is a percentage of his wages for three months or so, a relatively small expenditure in championship football terms. OK, in my opinion he hasn't taken that chance to recapture his mojo, and I will be disappointed if we now sign him - but I've no problem with having given him a try; could have been good if it had worked out.

Oh...and the dire, boring, passionless going nowhere, hoof it up the front style of footie.
IMHO, a large part of our problems is that the ball doesn't spend nearly enough time 'up the front'............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports