Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hyypia

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
You will remember that Taylor was very much No2 to Clough. His good work for us was when he stayed to clear up Clough's mess after it got out of hand and old big head walked. His best work at other clubs was to clean up behind Clough before it got out of hand.
so the 8-2 defeat to Rovers, and 4-0 defeat to Walton were nothing to do with Taylor. BTW Brighton were in the bottom half of the 3rd when Clough took over, so not really a good side.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Incorrect. Most people thought he should have gone after the home loss at Fulham and they were right.

Even the day after the Wolves game there were some saying we should get behind him as the board had decided they were sticking with him. Some were still singing his name at Molineux FFS.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I said he had to go months ago, if the lickers had their way he'd still be here now.

I was intrigued by the pushed up full backs and wingers in the middle of the park system and was waiting to see what exactly this caterpillar was going to turn into. Anyone who recalls a lengthy run in the side from loan star Hoyte, will know that the Poyet footballing philosophy didn't just emerge overnight. Once this was abandoned, as an interesting but failed experiment the game was up and whilst I respect Darren Bent as a striker, the idea that he was the one that was going to turn things around for Hypia and indeed Burke seemed more than a little desperate.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not even close to being the worst manager Hinch, Wood, Case to name three

I wouldn't argue with Hinch and Wood but it is utterly unfair to name Case. He was put up as cannon fodder when nobody else would take the role and with zero resources.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Clearly up there, what he got (or didn't get) from the squad was shocking. At least with others we knew we were bad or had limited players.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Whilst Hyypia had to deal with the fall-out of a dismantled first team squad, he came into a club immeasurably better resourced viz-a-viz its principal competitors and under-achieved.

Looking at the others mentioned in chronological order.

Clough: Took over a just-relegated side that was sitting in 23rd position in what was then league division three. Whilst it wasn't pretty, we did stay up. I still think his appointment was the foundation for what happened in the following 10 years.
Case: Club was a basket case. He wasn't the right man for the job, but harsh to criticise.
Wood: Dire. The only rival for Hyypia in the bad manager stakes. Even so, the circumstances the club were in at the time was a mitigating factor.
Hinsh: Took over an over-achieving club which was way out of its depth resource wise. Lost his best player in the third game in charge. Again, not a good appointment, but I still think it is harsh to criticise him too much.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think history and hindsight will judge Hyypia to be one of our very best managers.

He was very much the wrong man at exactly the wrong time.
I don't think it would have taken much for Sami to have been successful enough for the Albion.
But the guy had no luck, was let down by the players, and it would seem by those above, as well.
That's before we look at his own actions.

Now here's the thing.
I don't believe the concept of relegation ever entered Tony's mind.
Neither the prospect of some seriously low crowds.
Not to mention the general disgruntlement of fans.
Plus that effect knocking onto poor sales around the AMEX.

From now on things might get a little more conservative.
But wallets may well be loosened, quality players rewarded with contracts, fans not taken for granted, and so on.

I don't think any of that would have been the case if Sami was just 'good enough' and we stayed a top 10 Championship team.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I wouldn't argue with Hinch and Wood but it is utterly unfair to name Case. He was put up as cannon fodder when nobody else would take the role and with zero resources.

The general gist of your point I agree with, however, I seem to remember Case making several signings for decent sums (albeit by the standards of a period in which, for several years, we only ever signed players for nothing). I could be wrong, but I think the likes of Mascall, Macdonald, possibly Derek Allen and Ian Baird were Case signings - some of the proceeds from the sale of The Goldstone.

That said, no manager could have succeeded against that backdrop.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Whilst Hyypia had to deal with the fall-out of a dismantled first team squad, he came into a club immeasurably better resourced viz-a-viz its principal competitors and under-achieved.

Looking at the others mentioned in chronological order.

Clough: Took over a just-relegated side that was sitting in 23rd position in what was then league division three. Whilst it wasn't pretty, we did stay up. I still think his appointment was the foundation for what happened in the following 10 years.
Case: Club was a basket case. He wasn't the right man for the job, but harsh to criticise.
Wood: Dire. The only rival for Hyypia in the bad manager stakes. Even so, the circumstances the club were in at the time was a mitigating factor.
Hinsh: Took over an over-achieving club which was way out of its depth resource wise. Lost his best player in the third game in charge. Again, not a good appointment, but I still think it is harsh to criticise him too much.
Thank you! Thank you! Someone who has a clear memory and/or checks his facts before coming out with rubbish like 'Clough was worse than Hypia'

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
His selections often baffled me, even as a layman I could clearly see there were huge holes in his on pitch strategy, even if strategy is used in its loosest sense. I can see why Leverkusen binned him, it seems to be a very similar scenario.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think history and hindsight will judge Hyypia to be one of our very best managers.

He was very much the wrong man at exactly the wrong time.
I don't think it would have taken much for Sami to have been successful enough for the Albion.
But the guy had no luck, was let down by the players, and it would seem by those above, as well.
That's before we look at his own actions.

Now here's the thing.
I don't believe the concept of relegation ever entered Tony's mind.
Neither the prospect of some seriously low crowds.
Not to mention the general disgruntlement of fans.
Plus that effect knocking onto poor sales around the AMEX.

From now on things might get a little more conservative.
But wallets may well be loosened, quality players rewarded with contracts, fans not taken for granted, and so on.

I don't think any of that would have been the case if Sami was just 'good enough' and we stayed a top 10 Championship team.

Sorry you're wrong. People will look back and judge him as a terrible joke which imo is a bit harsh. He did have some bad luck but did not come across as having any idea of what he was doing. There were just too many dire performances anyway but by the time it came to when it mattered big time, at home to a poor Fulham side and at home to a terrible Millwall side, they bottled it. This was because the players were bewildered and had no confidence to do the basics. People go on about Hinchelwood etc but he had nothing like the recourses. I challenged anyone to name 5 worse Brighton managers than him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here