Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hyypia wants winning mentality at Albion

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can assure you it was written before the Argus was published - I had the above last night.

A new football correspondent for The Argus in the making ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can assure you it was written before the Argus was published - I had the above last night.

Wasn't claiming it was plagiarised, merely saying that they were similar, largely because they're both predominantly quoting Hyypia and Bloom verbatim.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The articles in the media are all going to be similar, since they are all regurgitating what Sami said. So what!?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't claiming it was plagiarised, merely saying that they were similar, largely because they're both predominantly quoting Hyypia and Bloom verbatim.

Sorry, and I should have said I wasn't suggesting that you were suggesting it was plagiarised! I just wanted to make it clear that we had not simply re-written someone else's work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although it is remarkable how many people are appeased by a few empty words. I'm decidely meh about Sami.
I haven't been appeased by his words - I didn't need to be. I think Bloom and Barber know what they're doing, and if they think Sami is right, that's good enough for me.
If he delivers on those words I'll be excited and delighted, but he's hardly nailed on to be a success here is he?
No one is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't been appeased by his words - I didn't need to be.
So I wasn't talking about you. Obviously.

I think Bloom and Barber know what they're doing, and if they think Sami is right, that's good enough for me.
Yes, that's good enough for me too. So I'm not going to comment on meaningless quotes from the new man. I'm very ambivalent towards them at this stage.

No one is.
Well no. Obviously (again). But some are far more likely than others and all I'm saying is that on the face of it, Hyppia is not a name that makes me think we're Premier League bound. We might be of course, but I just can't get interested in what he has to say - I am just hoping he gets his team wins, although if we play some decent stuff in a transitional season, I'd take that too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I expected him to say what he said, so why are some people wetting themselves with excitement or getting arsey with [MENTION=22292]Mutts Nuts[/MENTION] ? I know he is an arsehat usually, but his cynicism is well place here.
If he was being cynical he'd have said 'don't get over excited by a press conference, we should wait to see how he delivers on the field', but he said "the management at this club need to stop just talking the talk" - like you said Sim, we expected him to say what he said, it was a press conference. And Nutty Mutt is wrong to suggest the management at this club don't walk the walk - top six for the last two seasons is good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he was being cynical he'd have said 'don't get over excited by a press conference, we should wait to see how he delivers on the field', but he said "the management at this club need to stop just talking the talk" - like you said Sim, we expected him to say what he said, it was a press conference. And Nutty Mutt is wrong to suggest the management at this club don't walk the walk - top six for the last two seasons is good.
This is a fair point, sir.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But some are far more likely than others and all I'm saying is that on the face of it, Hyppia is not a name that makes me think we're Premier League bound.
I just don't think there's a manager out there that we could have attracted that would have made me think that. Perhaps Glenn Hoddle, and the thought of his appointment completely split people on NSC.

We might be of course, but I just can't get interested in what he has to say
Although talk is cheap, you are at least likely to learn a little about the managers plan - Gus would have said the opposition can't score when we have the ball, and Sami has said he's not bothered what percentage we have the ball, he's bothered what we do with it - that tells us nothing about what results we might get, but it does at least give as an impression of what we're going to be watching this year.

This is a fair point, sir.
Sir! I must have temporarily gone up in your estimations.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So I wasn't talking about you. Obviously.

Yes, that's good enough for me too. So I'm not going to comment on meaningless quotes from the new man. I'm very ambivalent towards them at this stage.

Well no. Obviously (again). But some are far more likely than others and all I'm saying is that on the face of it, Hyppia is not a name that makes me think we're Premier League bound. We might be of course, but I just can't get interested in what he has to say - I am just hoping he gets his team wins, although if we play some decent stuff in a transitional season, I'd take that too.

I see you have caught the multi quote bug from Triggaaar

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am happy with the appointment, and also the process by which it came about. There is no doubt Bloom and now Barber too are very, very good and thorough at recruiting managers these days (three good ones in a row, and not always the obvious ones) and we obviously have something to sell at the club now.

As for what Hyypia actually said, he can't do any more at this stage, proof of the pudding etc. I think the committee player recruitment process IS in the spotlight again with a new manager. I want it to work, and hope it can be made to work well with the new mix of personalities. It clearly HAS been a source of some difficulty in the past or Barber wouldn't have spent so long addressing it, he's not going to do that for a couple of rants on here.

These things are not black and white, but more a question of degree. Hyypia has made it clear already in public that he was not as involved as he wanted to be in player recruitment in Germany, so our operation need to be mindful of that. The bottom line here is that we all want it to work, that the key individuals are happy, and that the end result - the right players being signed, retained and let go - is arrived at by hook or by crook. And that we don't have an unhappy manager in a year's time.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I don't think we can really judge Sami now. It's all talk at the moment.

Personally i think it's a gamble but maybe one that will pay off. I'll wait to see what players he brings in.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Mullery said has the perfect environment. From Seagulls.co.uk I think we'll nab play offs again.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"no old players and no young players
just good players and bad players"

great stuff Sami
now get on with it :bowdown:

Feb 14, 2010
Well he is at the wrong club as have a large section of our fanbase who have no ambition and who cant look beyond their nose. Apparently we would never fill the Amex (despite history showing we had been the 9th best supported side in the country despite playing lower league football in the 70s). We now wouldnt get any more to watch us if we did go up and so we dont need a bigger capacity. Apparently also 1 trophy in our entire history back in 1910 plus 1 losing FA Cup final appearance and constant members of the lower leagues is not under achievement. Even more strangely we have some fans who think we are the same sized club as er Reading who we used to outnumber when playing at Elm Park despite our team (as usual) failing turn up on the pitch. Apparently also the last 30 odd years of watching Palace get top flight football despite having Championship and gates of between 11000 to 15000 (when they are giving tickets away in the Championship) is also something that is quite right but it would be a miracle if we played top flight football again. If he wants to bring a winning mentality then that sounds fantastic to me but if NSC is anything to go by then something tells me he will need all the luck he is going to get.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here