Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical question re Albion in the Premier League

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Giving Gus an open cheque book to unearth the very best of Latino talent will leave us, as per ST sales, in our future natural position, bobbing very happily around 11th

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
not fussed either way,i love this league,but if it happens enjoy the ride!!!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Actually prefer the Championship to the Premier league. There's more games for a start and anyone can beat anyone. It can be heart breaking at times but amazing also.

Obviously it would great for the club to be in the Prem and playing the best teams in the country and i for one would love to do away days at some of those amazing stadiums but....its a much more predictable league and watching The Albion getting dicked on a regular basis doesn't appeal and neither does a relegation fight.

Good question from the OP and i'm torn.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If your not aspiring to or want to play in the top division then whats the point.

Ofcourse I want to be in the Premier League, And I think Tony would give Gus as good a chance as possible in staying there and establishing us there.

Look at Swansea.... Im pretty certain they are enjoying watching there team in the Prem.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Obviously it wouldn't be the nicest thing to see your team beaten heavily but I think the way that Gus plays and the with the players we can attract to the club, I don't think it will happen as many times as you think.

Some close defeats mostly but I think we'll do enough to stay up and prosper. As a football club and supporter you always want to test yourself against the best there is, so I would take all those defeats and enjoy the ride because that is where we want to be.

Although if we didn't go up this season I wouldn't be completely depressed as the Championship is a great league to play in! A win win situation for me.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Personally I say bring it on. If we go up one thing I'm definetley not looking forward to is the whinging on here.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The BEST thing about going up would be the chance to see this man cooing over our tactics:

Gary-Neville-commentating-008.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Putting aside the financial issues, do you think that you'd enjoy watching us in the Premier League more than the Championship next year?
Seeing the top teams would be nice, but I'm not bothered about it. I've enjoyed watching us in the Championship, it's a decent level of football, and seeing us win more games is nice. But there's no shame in losing in the premier league, and the main reasons I want us to go up are 1) financial and 2) that's the basic idea when you're in the Championship (and the promotion party would be great).

Personally I say bring it on. If we go up one thing I'm definetley not looking forward to is the whinging on here.
Gus out!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm really on the fence on this one.

It's been good for the past two seasons watching more wins than defeats and seeing your team battling at the top end of the table with a carrot of promotion to fight for.

If we're promoted we realistically can never expect more than a Fulham mid-table type existence with no real chance of honours whether that be league champions or playing in Europe. More likely would be an annual battle against relegation. Could that kind of campaign season after season become boring?

i previously posted on here my Reading-supporter friend's comments about how he enjoyed their last promotion to the Prem - top clubs coming to the Madjeski, great away trips, playing in the best league in Europe - but this time around he has different views - getting beaten week after week is tough to take, the cost of many away games is outrageous, Saturday 3pm kick-offs are the exception, the Championship is more fun.

Of course I want us to be promoted. Of course I would like us to play in the Premier League. But part of me fears a season of constant hammerings and a season-long battle against with relegation.

I guess it would all depend (IF we got promoted) on how much Gus is given to strengthen the squad. At present I only see the following as genuine Premier League first teamers:
Kuszczak, Bridge, Upson, Bridcutt, Ulloa.
And squad members:
Calderon, Greer, El Abd, David, Hammond, Orlandi, Vicente, CMS, Ankergren, Lua Lua, Buckley, JFC
Long shots: Bruno, Dunk, Crofts, Dicker, Hoskins, Barnes, Barker
Get rid:
Agdestein, Painter

So I guess, tempting though promotion is, I won't be overly upset if we don't make it. Another season of consolidation at the top of the Championship won't be the worst thing in the world. I will however be pissed off if we now miss out on the playoffs.

Would love to see us get in Prem but don't look forward to the regular "dickings" we would get home and away (cue Liz Costa).

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
For me there are plus and minus sides..
If we are in the prem, I will get to see more matches on the tellybox, I cant make the international trips too many times a season.
I will not get the common response of "Who?" when I tell people over here who I support..
Yes we are likely to get spanked a few times, but worse case scenario means we go back to the Champs with a few better players and parachute payments..
Some teams that get promoted manage to stay in the prem for a few years and once that happens they tend to stay there.. Let just hope we are one of them.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Who doesn't want to tell their kids/grandkids years down the line that they remember when BHA were in the Premier League playing the likes of ManU,Liverpool,Arsenal,Everton,ManC,Chelsea,etc. Even if it were for 1 season, it'd be great to say "I was there".

Of course we want to make the PL. Obviously don't want to get whipped every week but the same argument can be had to getting up to the Championship from L1 etc.

And you never know, we may end up being a solid PL team like Fulham/WestBrom/etc. Win a few, lose a few (like in the CS).

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Premier League , please.Or we won't be in the Champions League the season after.

And there's the small matter of parachutes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If your not aspiring to or want to play in the top division then whats the point.

Indeed. I've NEVER EVER EVER understood ANYONE saying they would want us to stay in this division.

By that logic that must mean they dont want us to win every game.

During a match I want us to score a goal, to score more than the other team, to win, to get more points, to accumalate enough points to go up. Surely if someone didnt want to us to go up they must hope we don't score as thats the first step!

However, the WORST is people saying "I don't think we're ready yet" and "I want us to wait a year". You can't just CHOOSE when to go up. You HAVE to take your opportunity when it arises.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As a club, I'd love us to go up, despite the inevitable trouncings that'll come our way every now and again, as it'll get the fear of a sudden financial collapse out of my head (irrational but always there).

That being said, some of our fans are obnoxious enough supporting a playoff chasing Championship side, let alone a relegation battling PL team. I genuinely dread the idea of sitting near some of those around my seat if we go up, divorced from reality doesn't even come close.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. I've NEVER EVER EVER understood ANYONE saying they would want us to stay in this division..

I don't think anyone on this thread has actually said that they don't want to go up have they? The thread is more about which division you are likely to enjoy more.

For those who haven't already experienced it it's a no brainer, for those that have we know what it's like to be the wrong end of a very high profile league and it's not that much fun imo. We may of course do a Swansea which would make the whole thread null and void.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here