Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hurricane Katrina

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Don't know if anyone is aware of this, but Hurricane Katrina is currently heading for New Orleans and it's looking pretty disasterous at the moment.

Winds are at 180mph and gusting over 210mph. The sea surface is expected to rise between 30 and 50 feet, which is a problem for New Orleans seeing as it is below see level and it only protected for a storm surge of 10-20 feet.

Local tv coverage here

Time for a few thoughts for people caught up in it I think.

map_spectrop02_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Scary stuff. I've been following this on CNN and it sure looks nasty.

I hope someone knows what they are doing.

Predicting the path of a hurricane is not an exact science. Let's hope it doesn't hit wherever all the yats have gone to hide.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Katrina sounds like a hurricane that means business. Hurricane Karen, Kevin, or Kate just wouldn't cut it

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Cat 5 - about as high as they go.

National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said: "There's certainly a chance it can weaken a bit before it gets to the coast, but unfortunately this is so large and so powerful that it's a little bit like the difference between being run over by an 18-wheeler or a freight train. Neither prospect is good."

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Winds have backed off to about 165mph, with gusts to 205mph. Gonna make landfall mid-morning tomorrow our time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
New Orleans is a slightly odd place. It's not like any other American City I've ever seen. It's got a huge European influence and if you travel just a few hundred yards from Burbon Street you'll see terraced house just like here.

It's pretty run down and if they do get clobbered by this hurricane then the devastation will be very bad. The weirdest thing is that some of the roads leading in to the city run across vast swamps. Now what's even stranger is that there are people living in these swamps, god knows how though !

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
They have a lot of forewarning, which gives most people time to make preperations. Only a few hours till landfall - get the pets indoors!

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Approx 5hrs before it touches base

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
0E6-9+1D04@0AZEV]19FV.jpg

It's a big one.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I've been told that a few times:lolol:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
How do they get to name them?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Apparently the next one is going to be called Lee. Bit ordinary isn't it?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Is it not the first person to spot it gets it named after them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here