Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

human rights

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks Chimneys.
Unfortunately the boys have not had a happy time of it. One of them was the burned body at the Dyke golf course a couple of years ago.
As a family we have all drifted apart and I have little or no contact with any of my brothers or sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles etc.
Still, I now have a bigger "family" of Albion supporters.
My sister in law was raped and left for dead in 1983, and although she survived, that episode utterly ruined my wife's family. The bloke who did it was a serial offender and is serving 6 life sentences I think. Yet he is now housed in some sort of open prison set up apparently.

But Jesus Christ, yours is an awful story. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you for that.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
My sister in law was raped and left for dead in 1983, and although she survived, that episode utterly ruined my wife's family. The bloke who did it was a serial offender and is serving 6 life sentences I think. Yet he is now housed in some sort of open prison set up apparently.

But Jesus Christ, yours is an awful story. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you for that.

Really sorry to hear your sister-in-laws story Sinister.

My sister died 30 years ago but it still hurts like an open wound whenever I read or hear of violence to a woman.
I still say they should die along with people who molest children. What use are they to society? I strongly resent the amount of my hard earned taxes that go towards keeping them alive.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really sorry to hear your sister-in-laws story Sinister.

My sister died 30 years ago but it still hurts like an open wound whenever I read or hear of violence to a woman.
I still say they should die along with people who molest children. What use are they to society? I strongly resent the amount of my hard earned taxes that go towards keeping them alive.

2 women die every week in this country at the hands of their partners. I would be quite strongly against most of those incidents being branded "crimes of passion".

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The majority of the British population did not even have the vote in 1913 so I am unclear where the 1000 year other Eden comes from.

You are confusing Human Rights and The Franchise. They are not the same thing. Stoo82 was reminding us that our laws are more than 1,000 years old when he said "we have had rights in England for near 1000 years". He did not say we have had "human rights in England . . ."

As to the vote, or franchise, it was originally given to those who paid taxes, which women did not, because they could not own property. Neither did the poor get the vote, because they paid few taxes. Eventually, during the 19th century, the franchise grew until all men received the vote, regardless of their class or status. (The exceptions were and are those in prison and peers.) As you implicitly point out, it was not until 1914 that all women over the age of 30 received the vote, and not until 1928 that women over the age of 21 could vote. Women in Switzerland had to wait until 1971 until they got the vote, so everything is relative.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The moment you are refused the vote you lose control of who makes the decisions, it's a basic human right people have fought and died for.

But it's not the only Human Right. (Although many people seem to include their wants and wishes as "rights".)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here