Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's recognised as the short form of Kingston Upon Hull.

Unlike Port Vale which is a bit like "Clapham Junction". Don't exist as places.

That said, Clapham and its Junction obviously exist. Port Vale was the description of the cargo ports in the river valley linked to the Potteries that once existed. I guess the closest to this would be .. don't think there is one.

Edit: Just found out that Hull, as a town, did once exist with just that name.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Hope we have a full house to show some of these big time Charlie clubs that the cup still matters to some us.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Absolutely fantastic draw, in my opinion. Sure, it's about as boring as it can get, but surely once you've made the fifth round the aim has to be to reach Wembley, which is only two wins away. Therefore, the very last thing I wanted to see come out the hat was Man City or Chelsea away. Obviously the ultimate result would have been Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton, or maybe Forest/Preston, but the next best thing was always a poor EPL team at home. Throw in the fact that Hull are a club who will probably play some reserves as staying up is everything to them, plus they are fairly poor away from home at the best of times, and we have a fantastic chance to make the last eight.

And talking of that, Man City v Chelsea and Arsenal v Liverpool is an utter DREAM for clubs like us. If we beat Hull, we will have only a 2/7 chance of ending up with a banker defeat in the next round (3/7 possibly if you include Everton), but any other tie is winnable. No doubt about it, we could beat the likes of Sunderland, Southampton, Fulham, Cardiff and the winner of Charlton/Wednesday. We've never had such a good opportunity in the FA Cup in my lifetime.

Great, a positive post. We can hope and dream.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely fantastic draw, in my opinion. Sure, it's about as boring as it can get, but surely once you've made the fifth round the aim has to be to reach Wembley, which is only two wins away. Therefore, the very last thing I wanted to see come out the hat was Man City or Chelsea away. Obviously the ultimate result would have been Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton, or maybe Forest/Preston, but the next best thing was always a poor EPL team at home. Throw in the fact that Hull are a club who will probably play some reserves as staying up is everything to them, plus they are fairly poor away from home at the best of times, and we have a fantastic chance to make the last eight.

And talking of that, Man City v Chelsea and Arsenal v Liverpool is an utter DREAM for clubs like us. If we beat Hull, we will have only a 2/7 chance of ending up with a banker defeat in the next round (3/7 possibly if you include Everton), but any other tie is winnable. No doubt about it, we could beat the likes of Sunderland, Southampton, Fulham, Cardiff and the winner of Charlton/Wednesday. We've never had such a good opportunity in the FA Cup in my lifetime.

My thoughts exactly. Every so often a Championship side does unexpectedly well- Cardiff and Millwall spring to mind. Why not us?

Though I confess I'd be absolutely bricking it at the prospect of Man City in the final :lol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That said, Clapham and its Junction obviously exist. Port Vale was the description of the cargo ports in the river valley linked to the Potteries that once existed. I guess the closest to this would be .. don't think there is one.

Edit: Just found out that Hull, as a town, did once exist with just that name.

Except it doesn't. The "Junction" isn't in Clapham at all. It's in Battersea, Wandsworth. Very much so. The area was quite adequately named before a private company opened a station with the name Clapham Junction. Because at the time Battersea had a bad name, they named it after another area.

Over time what is effectively a trade name became synonymous with an area. Clapham Junction has nothing to do with Clapham both "areas" are quite distinctive with their own centres in different boroughs. Try walking between the two.

And thus is similar to Port Vale.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What about Arsenal...?

Definitely named after an area, but moved.

Difference with Port Vale is that historians don't know 100% why they are called that.

It's gone full circle with them with Gillespie Road Tube being renamed Arsenal. I thing Everton mints are named AFTER the football club too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We'll be the underdogs, and I'm sure Hull will be grrrrreeeeaaattt.

Could have been worse. Could have been Hull away.

:)

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
If you're being serious, it seems an odd attitude to have. It's a fifth round FA Cup tie against Premier League opposition and the chance to get to the sixth round for the first time since 1986. I don't see anyway it will be under £20.

i understand that,but we played them last year,they wont have there big signings playing,and would rather use the money not being spent on away games imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here