Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull : City of Culture

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I found the live report of it on BBC Breakfast all rather amusing. The reporter made out that the heavens had opened and a shower of diamonds had gently fallen on the misbegotten city without friends and a plague of melifluous, Jeff-Buckley-voiced locusts arrived in the district with stardust on their wingtips and too full a stomach to gorge. The people behind were celebrating profusely, all of them bearded or balding men who looked like they'd each won the prize of Britain's Biggest Schlong, swirling it around to impress. Rejoicement encaked them all, and it was nice, although slightly strange. Saying that, maybe footage of me celebrating the birth of a cycloptic snail would be equally odd to witness, so we all have our moments that in euphoria we mightn't want everyone to see.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hull is the sort of place Croydon can only dream about.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Does culture just mean the city centre because most citys I pass through are in poverty and look in 3rd world conditions to me. Went to Anfield last year for a tour and coming into the city a read banners hanging out side houses which said "city of culture my arse" the place was a dump and agreed. Who decides this crap, PC goverment to make our citys look like they are booming?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Hull and culture go together about as well as a pair of trainers for a man with one leg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There is a certain amount of animosity in Grimsby about Hull being chosen as 2017 City of Culture. Both were major fishing ports until the fishing industry was virtually killed off by the Icelandic "Cod Wars" and EEC (now EU) catch limits and quotas. The fishermen and trawlermen who lost their jobs never received any redundancy payments at the time and the Government eventually agreed to pay ex-gratia compensation. Many in Grimsby didn't get paid out as their claims lacked documentation and confirmation of continuous service in a casualised industry where they would sign on for a trip , return to port and then sign on for a trip on a different vessel within a fleet. Nearly all the claims in Hull were settled despite missing paperwork.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Mick Ronson, really ? Still, his claim to fame is playing in the Duke of Wellington Shoreham.

Fellow Spiders From Mars Trevor Bolder and Woody Woodmansey were also from Hull. Spiders From Hull didn't quite fit the Ziggy Stardust image. I believe Ben Watt and Tracy Thorn of EBTG met at Hull University. And of course there were the Housemartins aka Norman Cook and three other blokes.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hull the city of culture......

Is the this the same culture that gave us Hull city fans singing horrible sick songs after 7/7 to QPR fans ?

Hull is just spelt wrong

Hell

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be fair Londonderry was not all that before they got it which I think is the point. But Liverpool got it a while back and they had loads of Culture.
Plymouth didn't make the final 4 so not sure if thats good or bad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be fair Londonderry was not all that before they got it which I think is the point. But Liverpool got it a while back and they had loads of Culture.
Plymouth didn't make the final 4 so not sure if thats good or bad.

Londonderry had such a culture overload it is now Derry City :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here