Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huhne,8 months.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think he should have got longer and his guilty plea should have been discounted when considering the sentence as he only did this on the first morning of the trial after serveral weeks of trying to get the case thrown out so he was hardly repentent about the whole fiasco. The fact he was high up in goverment means his fall should be greater as he should be setting the standards as he is part of the mechanism for setting the laws in the first place. I know she didn't plead guilty and claimed marital coercion but it was him that initiated the deceit by putting her name on the form and putting her in position where she went along with it.

MPs put themselves on an ego pedestal so shouldn't expect too much sympathy when they fall. Look at the expenses scandal. Hundreds of MPs didn't resign immediately and therefore collected their pensions when they stepped down in 2010 elections which was scandalous but seems to have been buried in the past now.

Also wonder what fall out there will be. How much did Vince Cable or Clegg know and how long ago?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I've got no sympathy for him, I can understand her reasoning behind what she did, woman scorned and all that , but it's a ****ing joke sentence when you consider domestic burglars dont get anywhere near any custodial sentence until their 3rd offence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was doorstepped by Chris Huhne when he was first going for the eastleigh constituency - was impressed and seemed like a nice bloke. They moved the boundaries so we were not in the last by-election.

But glad they both got custodial sentences. Him because he was incredibly stupid in so many ways, and if anything acting as he did while being an MP should mean he gets clobbered even harder.

To a certain extent I can't help thinking she was the victim of circumstances at the beginning, but by "grassing him up", she brought it on herself. I wonder what would have happened had she just quietly pleaded guilty with mitigating circumstances, rather than going for the full marital coercion. I think she would have got a lighter sentence. The judge described her as vindictive and manipulative, or something similar, so she did herself no good with all the fuss.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I googled 8 month prison sentence. I got Chris Huhne and I also got William Manson, a driver who killed a cyclist because of excessively careless driving.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got no sympathy for him, I can understand her reasoning behind what she did, woman scorned and all that , but it's a ****ing joke sentence when you consider domestic burglars dont get anywhere near any custodial sentence until their 3rd offence.

What makes you say that a domestic burglary doesn't carry a custodial sentence on a first or second offence ? It's certainly not my experience.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is done the scare the public into trying this one. They talk about Huhne paying his legal fees but the cost of prison will be that again. Both of them could be cleaning 1000's of dirty road signs all over the country, cleabing public toilets, cleaning chewing gum off pavements or something else useful..

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
The local "cracks in the pavement" party(LIB DEMS) shows once again that it has no right to be on the national political stage and we await their total wipeout in the next General Election.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
So we the taxpayer, who have been conned by these criminals for years, allowing them to get an income they were not entitled to and to and a lifestyle most of us will never know, will get to keep them entirely for 4 months or so.

When they come out they will still be wealthy, they will still have the proceeds of their crime, they will still be free to make more money on the back of their noteriety (Like other MPs have who committed crimes).

What was wrong with 1. more time in jail and 2 a confiscation of all assets making them bankrupt and an order that any income they get should be approved by their trustee in bankruptcy for life making sure any income above a minimum is repaid to their victims, us the law abiding tax payers.

TIme we got tough on crime and yes I am still a liberal :)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The guidelines (with which I am very familiar) have a starting point as custody unless it's of lower harm AND lower culpability; in my experience very few offences fall into this category, the vast majority are category 2 which has a starting point of 12 months custody.
The Daily Mail articles don't really contain facts, just bluster and rhetoric.
Put it this way, in 7 years, I haven't sat on a domestic burglary case that hasn't been sent to Crown Court for sentencing.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I wonder how many people would have been clamouring for a custodial sentence if it had been a mate, collegue or family member in the dock!

he deserved punishment but for me the fact he has lost his job and been publicly shamed and there is little chance of him repeating the offence, removed the necessity for jail time.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Glad they got custodial sentences. Perverting the course of justice is a bad one and they had to hand down custodial sentences as a deterrent. Some poxy politicians think they are above the law.

Was hoping for longer but guessed 8 months.

Not really "a bad one" in this case though really is it. Gbh maybe or conspiring to conceal a murderer but feeling embarrased about a speeding fine and transfering it someone else, hardly majorly sinister really is it.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Its a load of bollocks quite frankly. Every little dwebe loves to jump on their high horse over every little ****ing thing.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
So we the taxpayer, who have been conned by these criminals for years, allowing them to get an income they were not entitled to and to and a lifestyle most of us will never know, will get to keep them entirely for 4 months or so.

When they come out they will still be wealthy, they will still have the proceeds of their crime, they will still be free to make more money on the back of their noteriety (Like other MPs have who committed crimes).

What was wrong with 1. more time in jail and 2 a confiscation of all assets making them bankrupt and an order that any income they get should be approved by their trustee in bankruptcy for life making sure any income above a minimum is repaid to their victims, us the law abiding tax payers.

TIme we got tough on crime and yes I am still a liberal :)

Err no, you sound like a nazi. They will still have the proceeds of their crime? Are you actually completely mental? More jail time, stripped of all assets? So its not enough to lose your career and then on top of that spend months in a cell. Oh no burn them! All the hysterical, moralistic little freaks come calling over the slightest ****ing thing

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Err no, you sound like a nazi. They will still have the proceeds of their crime? Are you actually completely mental? More jail time, stripped of all assets? So its not enough to lose your career and then on top of that spend months in a cell. Oh no burn them! All the hysterical, moralistic little freaks come calling over the slightest ****ing thing

What is that wooshing sound?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The guidelines (with which I am very familiar) have a starting point as custody unless it's of lower harm AND lower culpability; in my experience very few offences fall into this category, the vast majority are category 2 which has a starting point of 12 months custody.
The Daily Mail articles don't really contain facts, just bluster and rhetoric.
Put it this way, in 7 years, I haven't sat on a domestic burglary case that hasn't been sent to Crown Court for sentencing.
I know of three different toerags who've been nicked for multiple burglaries , one of whom was in court as recently as last month , who walked away with community service , I couldn't give a flying **** if the householders were out at the time and they didnt do any damage , big ****ing deal, they were still in somebody else's house , stealing their property, for which they should go down for at least 3 years , first offence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder how many people would have been clamouring for a custodial sentence if it had been a mate, collegue or family member in the dock!

he deserved punishment but for me the fact he has lost his job and been publicly shamed and there is little chance of him repeating the offence, removed the necessity for jail time.

According to a piece in my paper this morning the sentencing in this case seems to be in line with what normal people should expect. I agree that he has been publicly shamed and so on, but his sentencing ought to be in line with "the norm".

A magistrate friend of mine thought his sentence was way too light - you can get up to three years in this type of case, I believe

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I know of three different toerags who've been nicked for multiple burglaries , one of whom was in court as recently as last month , who walked away with community service , I couldn't give a flying **** if the householders were out at the time and they didnt do any damage , big ****ing deal, they were still in somebody else's house , stealing their property, for which they should go down for at least 3 years , first offence.

You know three serial burglars personally, who obviously openly discuss their court cases, what are you a probation officer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here