Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure it was that bad yesterday. Some people need to get a grip. Just his 3rd match in charge and he still has the same poor squad as Hyypia.
IMOH Darren Bent would have scored 2-3 yesterday.
We were ok the 1st 20 mins yesterday but lucky not to concede more in the last 25 mins of the half.
We were well on top till dunks sending off with 3-4 good opportunities to equalise if the players decided to shoot at the clear sight of goal rather than cut inside all the time
Last 20-25 mins they controlled the game but we still had chances which were missed or not taken as did they.
Subs I think we're partly dictated by the Sending off.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Are we actually slating our boss already. Now I'm angry, seriously we lost by a marginal goal yesterday. Shut up to the moaners you lot drive me mad. Pathetic fans

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Two of the subs yesterday were forced on him anyway... JFC replaced by Colunga was due to his injury, Halford replacing Dunk due to the sending off. Both Colunga / Halford did ok i thought. COG replacing March was unusual but then March was tired by then, wasn't having one of his better games and COG has done well coming on at that point in the previous three games...

As for taking CMS off , well he had several chances and could / should have scored but didn't put them away did he...not sure if you can blame the manager for that.

Add to that the fact he doesnt know the players strengths or weakness`s personally, only from a third party, this is pretty much spot on in my opinion .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why o why was our team set up as an away side mc smith on his own up front ,we were always on the back foot ,inviting them to attack ,feel so disappointed , at least loose in a positive manner why can 't the manager see this .had enough now does anyone no what there doing ?

Well that was a short honeymoon!

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Well that was a short honeymoon!

I know what on earth do people want! We lost a bloody game by 1 goal. The match was tight. We had some super opportunities but our finishing let us down not chrissy hughton. That poster clearly hasn't lived in footie very long.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Most games have their random elements. Their goal was a tad fortunate but of course they all count. Having said that Albion did not play THAT bad and Dunk's actions gave the ref an excuse to send him off for whatever reason the ref had. Depressed but not desperate.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure it was that bad yesterday. Some people need to get a grip. Just his 3rd match in charge and he still has the same poor squad as Hyypia.
We were ok the 1st 20 mins yesterday but lucky not to concede more in the last 25 mins of the half.
We were well on top till dunks sending off with 3-4 good opportunities to equalise if the players decided to shoot at the clear sight of goal rather than cut inside all the time
Last 20-25 mins they controlled the game but we still had chances which were missed or not taken as did they.

I also didn't think we were that bad ... one of our better home performances even though we lost

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
He played the utterly ineffectual Baldock out wide, when we had the more talented, and better suited Teixeira and Colunga available.

He made three substitutions without removing the woeful CMS.

It's fair to say, my confidence in his tactical nous has taken a hit.

Fans before game was happy with starting line-up, he kepted a winning starting side from the away games ( why change a winning team )...

Now you say he should of choose a hyypia line-up, if he did change line-up, you would still moan and say why didn't he keep winning team from charlton!

Hughton shows desire, he was shouting his head off and I've missed that from a manager....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought that it was a very entertaining match, despite the result.

el punal

I thought it was one of our better home performances today although we lost

Agreed. The commitment and passion has definitely returned. The defence looks solid and, probably most importantly, the team has regained the confidence that was missing during the latter part of Hyypia's reign.

Having said that, all is not perfect. The obvious part being up front where we are still struggling to manage worthwhile attempts on goal, and the build up play being so pedestrian (come back soon Lua-Lua!).

No doubt Chris Hughton has identified all the areas of weakness and I'm sure will rectify them. After the despair of the Millwall game I am now filled with cautious optimism, particularly after watching the boys at Fulham and Brentford away. My hopes for the future - steady the ship, bring in the necessary new players to improve the side and get a real momentum going to the end of the season so that we can kick on next year.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hughton was doing his nut at times yesterday demanding the players get it forward quicker and yet time and again the player in possession turned back the way he'd come from and played a sideways or backwards pass.

Old habits take a time to break

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Spot on. He's got the team organised and with 11 v 11 the game could easily have gone a different way. As for Dunk's sending off, Hughton's comments about the officials' game management were spot on. The linesman didn't flag for a clear foul right in front of him which would have left Jota in the clear. Ref rectifies that but then allows Jota to prevent us from taking the free-kick quickly and the push was not aggressive enough to merit a yellow card. Nowhere near his face and not particularly hard.

As for Hughton's subs... He seemed to get them pretty much perfect a couple of weeks back when we beat the same club in London.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I actually came away from the Amex fairly happy. Yes we lost but to a goal no one intended or could have stopped, but we were not outplayed by Brentford. We were pretty solid (even though Greer and Dunk we're off their games) and everyone seemed to know what they were meant to do - it was even possible to see a shape to the team. We're in a much better place than under Sami. He would have taken us down, but Hughton will keep us up. We're not going to win every game, but our target for this season - thanks to Sami - is to just get one point more than the relegation spots.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I thought he set us up in a solid formation against a team who despite being high up the table we competed with throughout the 90min.

The issue was the same one we have had at the Amex without Ulloa in that we are impotent up front. Countless times yesterday we got into good positions only for players to make terrible decisions and in particular March, JFC can and Holla. We had two great chances to win the game from CMS and again at the death.

What was really encouraging was in the post match interview where Hughton called the team out on both fronts. For the first time in a long time it was refreshing to hear a manager giving such an accurate assessment of the match and this guy knows what is required to put things right

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

This. Anyone that complains about yesterday's performance is clueless. We were unlucky not to get a result.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
All I will say is that he should have taken off CMS for O'Grady at half time or started with O' Grady and dropped CMS in at the end

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
Well, I think Hughton got his tactics spot on yesterday. If anyone has watched Brentford play this season they attack with numbers, soaking this up and counter attacking was a well thought out plan with our fasted attacking options on the field. This created a number of chances which were not put away; Calderon one on one, CMS with 75% of the goal to aim for 8 yards out...

Brentford had a lot of the ball without really having a clear cut chance. Even with 10 men we still created chances. It is obvious that CMS is not good enough, but we have no other options to play this style. Their goal was an error by Greer followed by a scuff and a deflection over Stockdale. Sloppy goal to concede. But the first under Hughton.

We are a team low in confidence fighting relegation playing a team high in confidence fighting promotion. I dont care if on paper we have the better team, you have to stop them playing first then think of how you can score second. All out attack against a team with confidence like Brentford would have been suicide.

I thought Ince had his best game in a Brighton shirt. This is evidence of Hughton starting to get the best out of some players. A little more time and you'll see the results.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why o why was our team set up as an away side mc smith on his own up front ,we were always on the back foot ,inviting them to attack ,feel so disappointed , at least loose in a positive manner why can 't the manager see this .had enough now does anyone no what there doing ?

It's his third game and first at home. His first task is to make us solid and he's done that so far (one deflected goal in three games). We are in the bottom six (not top six) so we have to be tight at the back (even at home), it really is pretty simple to most people.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We rarely win more than three in a row these days, so I didn't have high expectations. It also feels like any time I watch us play Brentford we lose, so my expetations were probably actually quite low.

The problem I see is that we are now going to face automatic promotion chasing Ipswich. They have confidence, momentum, I can see us losing to them, too. Then we face Arsenal, who I'm sure most people expect to beat us. All too quickly we're on a losing run again. We get a losing momentum just when we go away to face Blackpool - a game we should win, but then we said the same about the home game. They won't make it easy, and if we've got that losing momentum again... Another draw (or even a loss) against them and heads drop. The brief run of success becomes another example of the new manager bounce. The sentiment begins to set in that maybe Hyypia wasn't as bad as we currently view him, maybe the players should shoulder more responsibility.

We then face a Forest who by then could be on another run having gotten the monkey off their backs with a victory v Derby, follow up with a trip to Cardiff who have a very good home record, followed by a trip to Sheffield Wednesday who are a better side this season than many people expected them to be and who have already beaten us.

That's my fear. Of course, the optimistic view is that the wins maybe distracted from some basic problems with the squad and yesterday's games exposed them. Hughton will see changes need to be made, training catered to improve our final third, and the effects of this are seen quickly v Ipswich and we get something out of the game. The players step up v Arsenal and come out of it feeling good about themselves (maybe even with a lucky win or a replay to boost the confidence), we then face blackpool with more confidence and being away the team feel more relaxed and we get the win and start to pull away from the relegation zone some more. We continue to build our confidence and face a Forest who continue to struggle despite their win (with Pearce joining the list of managers who are fired after losing to us), and we settle into a run of form befitting a midtable side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here