Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton v Garcia v Poyet @ 38 games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(better than 12/13 and 13/14)
We then took a mere 5 points from the last 8. ...

'we' took a paltry 7 points from the last 12 games 14/15. :whistle:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Having a proper assistant who was a manager in the championship in his own right is the difference. Poyet had Tanno, Oscar???????? Hyypia wanted Sammy Lee but he legged it off to Southampton and I cant remember if Jones was ever more than a coach.Our strength is in our pairing now,both hugely experienced at this level and above.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having a proper assistant who was a manager in the championship in his own right is the difference. Poyet had Tanno, Oscar???????? Hyypia wanted Sammy Lee but he legged it off to Southampton and I cant remember if Jones was ever more than a coach.Our strength is in our pairing now,both hugely experienced at this level and above.

Jones was assistant manager to Oscar. He'd had experience at Yeovil prior to that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hughton's football is looking more likely than Poyet's to get us into the Premier League. I wonder though, how well this team would survive if we did achieve promotion this season? Poyet's team were adept at controlling the tempo of the game, something the current crop can't do anywhere near as well.

Hughton is a savvy man, and I like the way he conducts himself. I'd like to see him at the club for many years to come, regardless of any potential yo-yo'ing,

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You can't really argue with the stats. CH at this stage is 11 points ahead and obviously as someone pointed out Poyet had a good run in from his point onwards; however, who is to say that the current team won't have just a as good a run in, if not better.

Here is the big difference as I see it from this point in the season onwards. We are virtually assured of a play off place now. Two more wins should mathematically ensure it. If they come in the next two games even better. That then leaves the manager 6 final games to look at the fixtures. Take stock of the situation and them make a real push and concerted effort to go for all out Promotion without fear of being pegged back and losing a play off spot.

Poyet and Garcia were possibly always looking over their shoulders or really pushing to catch up.

Will CH throw of his slightly over cautious approach in the final 6 games. I think he should do but do I think he will. No I actually don't. I think he will play the percentages and still keep things tight and hope to grind out the wins that take us straight up.

Who's approach is right. His or mine ? Who's to say but I am a fan and that's what I would like to see but he is a very good Manager and he is the one who has built the success to date so I think I have to concede that his approach will always be better than mine would ever have been. All I will say is to all the fans. ''Get on board and enjoy the rollercoaster ride to the end of the season''

I agree.

My worry, although it feels churlish to state it after such a turnaround, is that a cautious approach could cost us an automatic place.

Too often, when taking the match to other teams and leading, we have reverted to a defensive line-up. We saw on Saturday, and on other occasions, that this has cost us points. I'm not one for defending leads when you are controlling a match. It gives the opposition an extra wind. Some of our recent successes have been ugly and I do feel they don't have to be. We are a good footballing side and can have great confidence in our passing game. There is no need to let that go in favour of defensive attrition. The results will be equally good if not better.

I remember on Saturday, at 2-1, when we hit them on the counter. There was a reluctance to commit to an opportunity that could have sealed the game. I remember moaning to the bloke next to me saying this sort of approach can cost us- it nearly did. We have to trust in our own ability. It's the only moan I have, simply because I believe it could cost us dearly come the end of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We saw on Saturday, and on other occasions, that this has cost us points.
Obviously it didn't cost us points on Saturday and to be fair, it didn't deserve to - we carried on attacking and went 2 up, and could have had more, and their goal was from a free-kick that shouldn't have been given, and their penalty shouldn't have been either.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Hughton's football is looking more likely than Poyet's to get us into the Premier League. I wonder though, how well this team would survive if we did achieve promotion this season? Poyet's team were adept at controlling the tempo of the game, something the current crop can't do anywhere near as well.

Hughton is a savvy man, and I like the way he conducts himself. I'd like to see him at the club for many years to come, regardless of any potential yo-yo'ing,

This. He was treated appallingly by Newcastle. Norwich didn't stick with him until the bitter end and who knows,they may of survived. If we did go up he well knows what we would need in recruitment terms and like wise I would like to see him here in years to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Controlling a championship game, is almost a different sport when compared to the Premier League.

I feel this current team/manager would have a better chance of winning the bottom 8 League, than previous incarnations.
Mainly due to the defensive solidity that isn't reliant on 6 or even 7 defensive players.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree but can't help but think if we go up and then down under him most people would bring out the 'he's too negative' type comments again and blame him for our relegation etc. I'd love to think everyone would continue to back him but I'm very confident they'd at least be a vocal minority demanding he's sacked.

Sticking with Dyche so far hasnt done Burnley any harm! Agree he should have the chance to bounce back if we go down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton is a classy guy, a manager with integrity. He seems to be handling the pressure with an inner calmness that contrasts with other managers, i.e. Karanka. The bottom line is can he take us up and will he make the right calls at the crucial times?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here