Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton v Garcia v Poyet @ 38 games

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You can't really argue with the stats. CH at this stage is 11 points ahead and obviously as someone pointed out Poyet had a good run in from his point onwards; however, who is to say that the current team won't have just a as good a run in, if not better.

Here is the big difference as I see it from this point in the season onwards. We are virtually assured of a play off place now. Two more wins should mathematically ensure it. If they come in the next two games even better. That then leaves the manager 6 final games to look at the fixtures. Take stock of the situation and them make a real push and concerted effort to go for all out Promotion without fear of being pegged back and losing a play off spot.

Poyet and Garcia were possibly always looking over their shoulders or really pushing to catch up.

Will CH throw of his slightly over cautious approach in the final 6 games. I think he should do but do I think he will. No I actually don't. I think he will play the percentages and still keep things tight and hope to grind out the wins that take us straight up.

Who's approach is right. His or mine ? Who's to say but I am a fan and that's what I would like to see but he is a very good Manager and he is the one who has built the success to date so I think I have to concede that his approach will always be better than mine would ever have been. All I will say is to all the fans. ''Get on board and enjoy the rollercoaster ride to the end of the season''

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, it just 'proves' that we don't/didn't have the right kind of players to execute it to full ability, and also that the physical nature of the Championship probably isn't the optimum place to try - Barcelona and Spain's multiple successes at international level playing possession football over the last decade or so prove that it is very much not bollocks.

Or maybe 'proves' that other teams have worked out how to counter the possession game. Certainly as far as Spain are concerned. Barcelona's front three are staving off the inevitable.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
The Poyet team finished well taking 16 points from the final 8 games remaining undefeated.

Final stats looked like this

Pld 46 won 19 drew 18 lost 9 For 69 Against 43 GD +26 Pts 75

Hull went up automatically with 79 points and a +9 goal difference.

A repeat of the Poyet finish this season would mean a great chance of the title or automatic promotion.

Oh had it not been for Kuszczak's flap at Zigic's header and Casper let it through my legs Ankergren at forest ..... things could have been so so different

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If we have the same run in as either Poyet (12/13) or Garcia (13/14) - both 16 points from the last 8.
Then we'd finish with 87. I guess thats enough.

Unfortunately it might be Poyet (11/12) where we were afterd 38 games
P38 W17 D10 L11 F47 A39 Pts 61 (better than 12/13 and 13/14)
We then took a mere 5 points from the last 8. ...

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
Another stat I spotted yestetday. When we have scored first at the Amex this season we have gone on to win every game. That's 11 from 11. As somebody said above, resilience.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The team was lightweight because the players' contracts had an appearances clause in them from Withdean, which meant they got a year's extension. Hence why Dicker, Painter etc were still playing in the Championship. John Stephenson soon disappeared after that. Poyet couldn't get better players in until the 2012/13 season.

That's hardly unusual and applies to lots of clubs and players. Look at the row about Guitierrez at Newcastle. Besides, we signed Buckley, CMS, Hoskins and some chap from Spain called Vicente

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's hardly unusual and applies to lots of clubs and players. Look at the row about Guitierrez at Newcastle. Besides, we signed Buckley, CMS, Hoskins and some chap from Spain called Vicente

3 out of the 4 were on the injury list more often than not.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, it just 'proves' that we don't/didn't have the right kind of players to execute it to full ability, and also that the physical nature of the Championship probably isn't the optimum place to try - Barcelona and Spain's multiple successes at international level playing possession football over the last decade or so prove that it is very much not bollocks.
So you agree with me then??? The thread is about the championship not La liga.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Under Gus 2nd season we missed out on second place by 4 points ??? .. here's hoping :albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's irrelevant. Poyet was able to purchase players and, like all managers, has to live with contract terms such as the appearance trigger. Can't use it as a defence.

There are many who would say that injury prone players are lightweight.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are many who would say that injury prone players are lightweight.

You seem to now have changed your argument!!

Injury prone players are a risk. We got Vicente cheap probably because of his injury record but Hoskins had played 43 games the previous season and CMS was hardly injury prone until he came to us. Buckley played 39 times the previous season for Watford!!

The point though, is that you were suggesting that Poyet couldn't improve the squad because other players had won extensions to contracts. If that was a concern then maybe he shouldn't have played them so much to trigger the extensions!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh had it not been for Kuszczak's flap at Zigic's header and Casper let it through my legs Ankergren at forest ..... things could have been so so different

Add to that CMS managing to miss sitters at Hull on the opening day,plus Bruno's mistake in the same match.

All swings and roundabouts though......

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Hughton is definitely in my top 3 all-time favourite managers and it's not even for having stats like you've just produced [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. The man just oozes class, I hope he's with us for a long time.

If (big if...) we go up and then go straight back down, I think I would still want Hughton to be our manager.

Agree but can't help but think if we go up and then down under him most people would bring out the 'he's too negative' type comments again and blame him for our relegation etc. I'd love to think everyone would continue to back him but I'm very confident they'd at least be a vocal minority demanding he's sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here