[Albion] Hughton v Garcia v Poyet @ 38 games

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You appear to have left out Sammi Hyypia. :jester:

Code:
[b]Year/Manager            P         W         D         L         F         A       GD        Pts[/b]
15-16 Hughton          38        19        14         5        52        35      +17         71
14-15 Hyypia           38         9        15        14        42        46       -4         42
13-14 Garcia           38        15        11        12        39        33       +6         56
12-13 Poyet            38        15        14         9        54        38      +16         59

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Interesting comparison ....

Also interesting to note the lack of Sky Live coverage of us towards the end of that Poyet season (ignoring the Palace play off matches).

Presumably because the live fixtures were chosen when we were not in contention for the autos.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Interesting comparison ....

Also interesting to note the lack of Sky Live coverage of us towards the end of that Poyet season (ignoring the Palace play off matches).

Presumably because the live fixtures were chosen when we were not in contention for the autos.

I think it more to do with BT sport taking a lot prem games and the champions league games off Sky. Sky seem to be making more of a deal about the football league then before.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Code:
[B]Year/Manager            P         W         D         L         F         A       GD        Pts[/B]
15-16 Hughton          38        19        14         5        52        35      +17         71
14-15 Hyypia           38         9        15        14        42        46       -4         42
13-14 Garcia           38        15        11        12        39        33       +6         56
12-13 Poyet            38        15        14         9        54        38      +16         59

Did Hyypia really manage for 38 games? I thought he went at Christmas, then Nathan Jones mini-miracle and then Hughton.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did Hyypia really manage for 38 games? I thought he went at Christmas, then Nathan Jones mini-miracle and then Hughton.
Indeed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think it more to do with BT sport taking a lot prem games and the champions league games off Sky. Sky seem to be making more of a deal about the football league then before.

Yep they have schedules to fill and sadly we seem to be bearing the brunt of it.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Hughton is definitely in my top 3 all-time favourite managers and it's not even for having stats like you've just produced [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. The man just oozes class, I hope he's with us for a long time.

If (big if...) we go up and then go straight back down, I think I would still want Hughton to be our manager.

100% this. If he married your son/boyfriend you'd be worried that your son/boyfriend wasn't good enough for him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of the illusions of Poyet was the fact it was really the first time we started to pay £1m plus a player.

Now we do it on a more regular basis it would appear the quality of player has been better under Hughton albeit some were Hyppia regime

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The main failure of that side was the ability to convert dominance into wins. I remember at the end of the season working out we 'should have' had 15 points more than we ended up with. There were a couple of games where we got either a point or a win which we didn't deserve, but a lot more where we were clearly the superior side but either drew or lost (anyone remember Bolton at home?!). Most of these games happened before we signed Ulloa - he made a huge difference in the second half of the season as we actually had someone who could stick the ball in the net. I still maintain we were the best team in the Championship that season - but the final position and points tally sadly don't reflect this.

Agreed - we were very good that season. We were also much better than palace. The final position and points tally confirms this :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What was funny was when played it in league one at the Withdean, you would see the opposition players looking completely perplexed. It was like "they are top we are going to park the bus, oh they keep passing the ball side to side. If we want to get the ball we will have to press them. Let's press them, oh dear they have scored."

Quite.

Something else to note, after we moved to the Amex, only on one occasion under GP's tenure did we come back from a goal down and win. That was the first league game at the Amex. Spookily it was against the 'town full of racists' we are up against next game . . . . .

My point is that GP is psychologically flawed. He simply didn't know how to respond to a set back. CH does . . . .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite.

Something else to note, after we moved to the Amex, only on one occasion under GP's tenure did we come back from a goal down and win. That was the first league game at the Amex. Spookily it was against the 'town full of racists' we are up against next game . . . . .

My point is that GP is psychologically flawed. He simply didn't know how to respond to a set back. CH does . . . .

How many games did we actually go down by a goal in the first place? Equally the games where we scored first, we didn't lose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm fairly sure the first league game at the Amex was against Doncaster...

A minor detail. :wozza::rolleyes:

And as Thunder Bolt pointed out, we rarely went a goal down . . . .

But if GP had the wherewithall to know what to do when we do go a goal down, we would have gone up. CH does, so that has to be a good thing. That was my point. You pair of nit picking quibblers :lolol:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The one word I'd use to describe Hughtons team this year is resilient! They have the ability to get results and were it not for the injury wobble at Christmas, we'd be out of sight.
Oscars teams were goal shy and dull and Poyets were very pleasing on the eye with not enough end product.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
If (big if...) we go up and then go straight back down, I think I would still want Hughton to be our manager.

I tend to agree with that. Provided we went down fighting when relegated (as opposed to the Villa omnishambles) I would like to see us follow Burnley's lead and go with continuity. If Hughton got us promoted I think we would all owe him an enormous debt of gratitude.

33 years waiting...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Quite.

I also think a big flaw in GP's tactics was that our team in our first season at the Amex was too lightweight. We got muscled off the ball esp in the middle of the pitch far too often by some big sides. I don't believe it's any coincidence that Bridcutt thrived as a player in the Championship only after Hammond and Crofts joined him in central midfield. But you're spot on, a bigger problem was the lack of a Plan B when we went behind.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I also think a big flaw in GP's tactics was that our team in our first season at the Amex was too lightweight. We got muscled off the ball esp in the middle of the pitch far too often by some big sides. I don't believe it's any coincidence that Bridcutt thrived as a player in the Championship only after Hammond and Crofts joined him in central midfield. But you're spot on, a bigger problem was the lack of a Plan B when we went behind.

The team was lightweight because the players' contracts had an appearances clause in them from Withdean, which meant they got a year's extension. Hence why Dicker, Painter etc were still playing in the Championship. John Stephenson soon disappeared after that. Poyet couldn't get better players in until the 2012/13 season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The team was lightweight because the players' contracts had an appearances clause in them from Withdean, which meant they got a year's extension. Hence why Dicker, Painter etc were still playing in the Championship. John Stephenson soon disappeared after that. Poyet couldn't get better players in until the 2012/13 season.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was curious how our current position contrasted with Poyet's 2012-13 side at the same point of the season. I threw in Garcia's side too.

Interesting that the Poyet side had scored more goals but was unable to convert those goals into wins as efficiently as the current side.

I'd also forgotten how goal-shy the Garcia side was...

Code:
[b]Year/Manager            P         W         D         L         F         A       GD        Pts[/b]

No arguments can mitigate these figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here