Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
“When you are a team like us we know we are not going to bamboozle them with open, attractive football and get lots of goals.”

"That we know we can't do. We are not that type of team, we don't have that type of quality,”

CH getting the team revved up with another of his inspiring pep talks. He is beginning to sound more and more like Jose every interview.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You mean the way he saw what was wrong, changed it and got us back into the game? Yep - completely lost it!

The way he set up the team poorly, rectified it tactically but didn't change the player until half time thus nullifying his own tactical solution, then when he did make a change and it turned the game, he then switched the player who'd changed the game to the opposite side of the pitch where he's substantially less comfortable.

Plus, Gross as our right sided midfielder; anyone that makes that tactical choice deserves to be sacked, particularly when you ask the guy to play essentially as a right full back for 45 minutes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We’ll find out, CH is going nowhere, so we’ll have to wait and see. I’d prefer a new manager but I’ll be there behind CH next season. It’s not my money at risk but I could live with Championship football if it came to it. Unless things change dramatically we will get relegated next season imo.

What will be interesting is whether there is a bit of a revolution behind the scenes in terms of recruitment, scouting and talent identification with Dan Ashworth in place. We'll also see whether another year on any of the development players are genuinely ready to come through, rather than fans just desperate for it.

Next season we'll be the favourites to go down along with the promoted 3 teams. You're looking at all the other teams above able to build on decent 2019s, promoted teams having the euphoria of going up, while we'll have to regain our collective mojos over the summer. It is going to be a tough one next year.

I think I am with you, if Bloom sticks with him I'll see the positives and still look forward to hopefully a new look team and approach next year. If the axe fell, or CH went, then you would understand why, and look forward to a new man at the helm. I'd stick, but only because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
So how does Smug Eddie down the coast do so well ?
I'd be happy if we played like them to be honest.
They set up to attack all sides and play a good style of football, aren't going to tear up trees in this league but are generally good on the eye

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
What will be interesting is whether there is a bit of a revolution behind the scenes in terms of recruitment, scouting and talent identification with our new man in place. We'll also see whether another year on any of the development players are genuinely ready to come through, rather than fans just desperate for it.

Next season we'll be the favourites to go down along with the promoted 3 teams. You're looking at all the other teams above able to build on decent 2019s, promoted teams having the euphoria of going up, while we'll have to regain our collective mojos over the summer. It is going to be a tough one next year.

I agree fully with the point that if Dan Ashworth is really worth the money and the position he holds, then things definitely need to be different very quickly.
I'm not sure of the validity of the position or his ability (or lack of it) but it does seem pointless if we're served up another season of turgid nonsense from start to finish. The fans will quickly vote with their feet and Hughton will be under pressure every week.
I'm a realist - I don't think we can expect Champions League qualification, but you can't hide behind a group of limited players too long at this level, before trying to do something about it. We've got to offer more entertainment and expectation than the last few weeks. I'd probably be disappointed if Hughton carries on next season, simply because we seem to have gone backwards so fast, with (theoretically) a stronger squad of players.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What will be interesting is whether there is a bit of a revolution behind the scenes

Next season we'll be the favourites to go down along with the promoted 3 teams. You're looking at all the other teams above able to build on decent 2019s.

Yep but Given that Bloom/barber have hired a new Director of Football (also responsible for recruitment) then you’d imagine there will be changes behind the scenes. It will be more interesting if there weren’t. As for all the other teams -
Burnley, Bournemouth , Newcastle, palace all currently have fewer points than last season . How do their fans think about progression ? And yep Albion have been amongst favourites for relegation last 2 season and will be next season. No surprises there.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The way he set up the team poorly, rectified it tactically but didn't change the player until half time thus nullifying his own tactical solution, then when he did make a change and it turned the game, he then switched the player who'd changed the game to the opposite side of the pitch where he's substantially less comfortable.

Plus, Gross as our right sided midfielder; anyone that makes that tactical choice deserves to be sacked, particularly when you ask the guy to play essentially as a right full back for 45 minutes.

I don't agree with the "deserves to be sacked" bit, but this was a strange decision. I have been trying to think what were the elements that made them (CH + experienced team of coaches) believe that this was worth trying. I can only think that they might have been reflecting on our poor ball retention in most recent games. PG is one of our better technicians with the ball - that justifies him in the team. I can only think they were thinking if we could get the ball to PG in space out in wider areas, even deep in our own half, he would be the best man to pick a pass for the two centre-forwards. It of course means that the rest of the formation needs to work to accommodate that, but as we saw (and CH/Team saw) it simply didn't work. To be fair, I don't think that resulted in the dreadful goal we conceded. Stranger for me was the inclusion of Izzy who has looked so far away from anything approaching "form" - so I can sort of see a rationale why PG in that position may have been agreed upon as a "different" approach, but Izzy decision was poor IMO.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So how does Smug Eddie down the coast do so well ?
I'd be happy if we played like them to be honest.
They set up to attack all sides and play a good style of football, aren't going to tear up trees in this league but are generally good on the eye

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Could you ever see us beating top 6 team 4-0 like they did to Chelsea or putting a hat full past a team like they do regularly ?

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I don't believe with our squad anyone else would have kept us up.

I'm surprised we didn't have a longer goal drought with our list of strikers. Murray the only proven goal scorer.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
Of course other managers could have kept us up.CH sets the bar low aiming for 17th means we will always finish 17th.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I don't believe with our squad anyone else would have kept us up.

So you're saying Chris Hughton is the best manager there is? And no one else could do any better?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't agree with the "deserves to be sacked" bit, but this was a strange decision. I have been trying to think what were the elements that made them (CH + experienced team of coaches) believe that this was worth trying. I can only think that they might have been reflecting on our poor ball retention in most recent games. PG is one of our better technicians with the ball - that justifies him in the team. I can only think they were thinking if we could get the ball to PG in space out in wider areas, even deep in our own half, he would be the best man to pick a pass for the two centre-forwards. It of course means that the rest of the formation needs to work to accommodate that, but as we saw (and CH/Team saw) it simply didn't work. To be fair, I don't think that resulted in the dreadful goal we conceded. Stranger for me was the inclusion of Izzy who has looked so far away from anything approaching "form" - so I can sort of see a rationale why PG in that position may have been agreed upon as a "different" approach, but Izzy decision was poor IMO.

I totally get where you're coming from but there's a massive flaw in that logic. Simply put, Bernardo is our most attacking full back and if you're going to try a creative but slow playmaker in front of any full back, it's your most attacking one rather than the 38 year old who isn't going to want to get up and down the pitch all game. Then you stick March or Knockaert out wide for the appropriate balance, because God knows what Izzy's done to get back in the side when he's so blatantly unfit.

Ultimately, to me at least, it looked like a man who had lost it and who was making changes to the team because he just doesn't know how to set us up to score anymore. And that in and of itself is justification for getting rid of him.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
This. CHs decision making in recent weeks has become completely baffling. His pre and post interviews suggest he is fearful of getting up in the morning, retracting into defensive mode like a manic depressive. He cannot select the right team, he cannot direct it, lead it, manage it, change it dynamically to reflect events on the pitch, and he cannot even talk coherently about it, and about what he is doing and why. He has completely lost the plot. AIMHO, I think a change is well overdue, and it won’t be long now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here