Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton out

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Completely agree even if we go down I wouldn’t want anyone else

Same here. He’s earned that and is great for the club on several levels.

Whilst knee jerk other clubs in the top two divisions are stuck in a perpetual cycle of sacking management teams at multi-£m a go. West Ham, Everton, WBA & Stoke spring to mind.

larus

Out of the 92 managers, where does he stand in order of longest serving?

With Howe and Dyche, CH has near absolute job security IMO.

Not sure about that, but I guess somewhere in the top 10-20.

Regards security. We could be relegated with a dismal season and TB would not sack CH. Irrespective what any knuckle-dragging fans may say, TB has faith and confidence in CH. CH can be here for a long (very long) time if he wishes.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was re reading the first page blimey there’s some terrible posts regarding the great man

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. We’d gone 9 hours without a goal and not had a shot on target. Leon Best up top. Not many people vociferous in his defence at that point. Remember, fergie nearly bit the bullet at United before that Fa Cup game

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. We’d gone 9 hours without a goal and not had a shot on target. Leon Best up top. Not many people vociferous in his defence at that point. Remember, fergie nearly bit the bullet at United before that Fa Cup game

It is indeed hehe I suspect at the time I might’ve moaned a bit but without evidence I’ll claim to have had faith in him

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Not sure about that, but I guess somewhere in the top 10-20.

Regards security. We could be relegated with a dismal season and TB would not sack CH. Irrespective what any knuckle-grafting fans may say, TB has faith and confidence in CH. CH can be here for a long (very long) time if he wishes.

The relationship between CH & TB is much more than just a manager & chairman. Tony knows that avoiding relegation will be a tricky task as a poor run or significant injuries could hit any side very hard. However he also knows how Chris prepared us for promotion and made the changes to help improve us.

Every season will be about getting to 40 points and then seeing where we can reach. I cannot see CH getting sacked unless something happens behind the scenes and Tony no longer believes Chris is what is best for the club.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It is indeed hehe I suspect at the time I might’ve moaned a bit but without evidence I’ll claim to have had faith in him

Me too. I know I waivered at times. I was nearing the out camp last season after successive dire away trips to West brom and Southampton.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
With all due respect.

**** off. He inherited a dire team, hardly his fault that none of them could score if the goal was the size of the marble arch.

Chris Hughton playing tediously boring football, whilst not being able to motivate the team or fanbase?

Maybe us Norwich fans aren't so deluded after all eh

Hughton has made us competitive in basically every game we've played under him. My guess is he felt he needed to do that to make sure we would pick up a few 1-0 wins and goalless draws - giving us enough points to get us safe. I think he's done that.

The summer is crucial. No one is going to be satisfied with similar results next season, so I would hope he'll have some fresh faces in next season - starting with a goalscoring target man. Frankly we need midfielders and wingers who are going to score too.

The way I see it, his remit for this season was to keep us up, and he's more or less done it by playing some of the most dull, pragmatic football we've seen in years. I feel sorry for our STHs having to watch this turgid shite (and maybe he does too) but that's not his fault - that is the fault of the smug pricks who couldn't build a competitive squad from a very decent platform only last summer.

I just don't want to judge him at all yet. If he keeps us up, it's job done. It's nothing more than his remit though, and was perfectly achievable. Let's see how he pans out after he's assembled a squad in the summer. If we're still as turgid in August I'll be concerned, but not until then. I just want the season to end.

Unbelievable. Every manager needs time to do the job, and you can't possibly judge whether Hughton is a failure until at least the end of next season. As others have pointed out, he needs to keep you up this season then rebuild for next. Which his track record suggests that he'll be quite decent at.

I think Hughtons done alright. I certainly don't see this 'boring' football people are saying (and let's be honest most are only saying it cos of what they've heard from Norwich fans!!!). I think it's been poor recently and can't agree with his sigining or persistence with Leon Best, however he really has got linted options. Judge him after the Summer and halfway through next season.

If he keeps us up he's done a GOOD job and has done the only thing we really asked of him when he took the job and we were in serious trouble. Give him time.

Funny how suddenly after 2 wins Nathan Jones is mentioned as possible perm manager by many. You struggled to see a good word about him under Sami / Oscar. Typical NSC bi polar :lol:

Oh this thread was a fun read. Half the posters on it should be ashamed of their comments - whether Hughton made it or not they were waaaaaay too early. I actually picked out some level headed ones from grounded fans - proud of mine too :)

Oh and Norwich fan, if you ever do read this - hahahahaha!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not necessarily.

Hughton was handed the same, awfully lacking in so many areas squad (where do start ... but lack of decent strikers, creators, pace in attack, shit CMS, so-slow Greer and error-prone Stockdale), as Hyppia. Morale was rock bottom on the pitch and in the stands, there was no fight and the club were heading for relegation. Hyppia and Hughton inherited a squad that was already crap at scoring in its Amex Championship years, but had now been shorn of yet more players to the PL.

Turning that sinking ship around to give survival this season was the job description, and he's also had 3+ months to see who he wants out in the summer and where we need to invest on the playing side.

Let's not blame him for the inbalanced and weak squad.

Phew, I got lucky with a pro-CH post, when so many others thought he was crap!

I can’t recall posting that, but I do remember my view that squad quality was allowed deliberately to dip massively (post Lopez, Vicente, Orlandi, Bridge and Upson), as TB/PB tried to stem annual accounts losses. But s/t numbers falling by 3,500 as a result over 2 seasons.

They then changed tack, invested heavily to back CH and the rest is history.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Chris Hughton playing tediously boring football, whilst not being able to motivate the team or fanbase?

Maybe us Norwich fans aren't so deluded after all eh

Yeah, you are.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
There must be 91 managers in the league we would rather we had than this guy.
No vision.
No discipline.
No plan.
No loyalty.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Should've seen us beat Birmingham 4-3 or Ipswich 3-2. Deluded describes Norwich fans that expected their team to tear it up in the PL.

Muppets

We were only out of the bottom 3 on GD when Hughton took charge. We most definitely could've done worse than get to where we are now.

What did we expect him to do?

We had a an attack minded manager before; it left us in the bottom 2 at the half way point of the season. With more or less the same squad, Hughton has dragged us out of it.

There's one thing to be over cautious, but, as has been noted on this thread, Hughton had the job of polishing a turd as far as our forwards are concerned. It's called pragmatism and realism. I'll judge him next to autumn when he's had a chance to get some players in.

It’s called not playing like idiots. Even Man City defend a bit.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
All very well making judgment when you didn't have the conviction to offer an opinion at the time.
If you were CH in at this point and made it known, then gloat away if it makes you feel better.

But let's not forget, TB wanted Hyypia to stay, which would've almost certainly meant relegation- who knows where we would be now? Hindsighting like this is bullshit.

Easy to forget that we stayed up by pure luck as well.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All very well making judgment when you didn't have the conviction to offer an opinion at the time.

Let's not forget, TB wanted Hyypia to stay, which would've almost certainly meant relegation- who knows where we would be now? Hindsighting like this is bullshit.

Easy to forget that we stayed up by pure luck.
Wonder what would have happened if Hyypia hadn't resigned? Relegation, almost certainly.

Maybe players as good as him (and as good as the players he had around him in his playing days at Liverpool) could have made his system work.

But the awful squad he had, thanks to Burke, buggered him from the start. I remember his second league game, at Birmingham. The poor bugger had to try and get a result with Chicksen, Ince, Forster-Caskey and O'Grady in the team, with the likes of Fenelon and Kemy on the bench. Imagine Mourinho's moans if he had to make something out of that!

Didn't Burke and co. then 'help' him (IIRC) by adding Joe Bennet and Gary Gardner to the squad........... :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here