Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton: Judge us after the transfer window

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Close to deja vu, but he actually said judge ALL clubs at the end of the transfer window. And he certainly did NOT say we are not ready, which I seem to remember our manager at the time said this time last year. Things could certainly be better though and he knows it. The interview that these quotes come from is available on Seagulls Player and probably YouTube by now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Close to deja vu, but he actually said judge ALL clubs at the end of the transfer window. And he certainly did NOT say we are not ready, which I seem to remember our manager at the time said this time last year. Things could certainly be better though and he knows it. The interview that these quotes come from is available on Seagulls Player and probably YouTube by now.

Looks like the club have greatly reduced using YouTube this year for interviews, highlights etc now that Seagulls Player has been upgraded.

I think things like interviews will still be released to YouTube, but they'll be on Player first for a few days.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Really ? You think they'd spin last year to be have gone well ?
Bloom has been pretty clear about last season's disappointment in various forums
Here's his letter to ST holders this week
. "Obviously last season did not go as we had intended, and our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level you had become accustomed in the previous two seasons"

That certainly is Talking the Talk Chailey isn't it?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Only 2 days ago, NSC was wanting realistic assessments from the club. Is this not one, or at least being interpreted as one? Why is the NSC collective not happy? :rolleyes:

Because after every statement they make the goalposts seem to move with the next one, that's my view anyway. If you can't keep to the script don't publish one in the first place.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Only 2 days ago, NSC was wanting realistic assessments from the club. Is this not one, or at least being interpreted as one? Why is the NSC collective not happy? :rolleyes:

We were told that the Club would try very very hard to get their transfer business done early, I think we have less players signed at this point in the transfer window then last season. But this season we have had a stable manager and no major football tournaments took place so by all means this is a poorer transfer window than last year so far, despite the glaring gaps in our squad that have been evident since before Christmas (i.e. the goal creating part)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That certainly is Talking the Talk Chailey isn't it?

Well its not expressed how some might put it and I'm sure Bloom might use quite different words in private in but its a long way from the OP's caricature of what he thinks the club says when things go badly or in forums.
"all things considered...it was a successful season".

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can't believe any one is taken in by the bollocks that comes from the club anymore and especially this time of year. It's been the same mantra for three years now and it's just rubbish.

We fanny around with derisory bids for players who are worth more and then blame agents and see other players who should be targets sign for teams who really have nothing compared to our facilities.

We have profits in excess of £10 million in transfer fees, including any survival clauses like we had for Buckley and Ulloa over the last season.

It's all smoke and mirrors and I don't believe anything that comes from the club anymore this time of year.

I don't want us to go and spend stupid money like some clubs but I just want a bit of honesty. There's no way this team as it stands is good enough for even the top half of the table let alone play off places and unless we sign at least four proven premier league/championship players then we are going to have a tough season again.

Rant over!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't believe any one is taken in by the bollocks that comes from the club anymore and especially this time of year. It's been the same mantra for three years now and it's just rubbish.

We fanny around with derisory bids for players who are worth more and then blame agents and see other players who should be targets sign for teams who really have nothing compared to our facilities.

We have profits in excess of £10 million in transfer fees, including any survival clauses like we had for Buckley and Ulloa over the last season.

It's all smoke and mirrors and I don't believe anything that comes from the club anymore this time of year.

I don't want us to go and spend stupid money like some clubs but I just want a bit of honesty. There's no way this team as it stands is good enough for even the top half of the table let alone play off places and unless we sign at least four proven premier league/championship players then we are going to have a tough season again.

Rant over!

Couldn't agree more, it's all spin spin spin.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Rant over!
Great post. I'm with you, I don't expect the club to spunk millions on top players, but I don't like being patronised with bullshit again. I hope someone makes this point at the fans forum.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can't believe we all get so wound up over this.

Have the club tried to do things earlier than before, yes.

Is it their fault that clubs or agents or players are mercenary buggers holding out for the extra ££££? No.

Would they like to have secured all of their top targets early? Yes.

Was it ever likely that they would? No.

Can we assume that a man that amassed a fortune big enough to self finance the AMEX and training ground might know what he is doing and or how much he is willing to spend etc? Bloody well yes.

I do not want the long term stability of the club threatened just to keep up with the Jones's.

As for CH comments well any manager is going to say that and the meaning is plain to see - he will have outlined requirements to do the job he's been tasked with (expect expectations and performance analysis are for a top ten finish, with the hope of top six).

But he has to set the bar somewhere so that if/when we don't get there he's not made a scapegoat for poor performance. (I think we'll be fine btw and probably flirt with play offs then fall away).

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I really do feel sorry for the managers at our club at present with recruitment.
Gus told it how it was, Garcia walked away, along with in the end with Hyypia, how long will Hughton toe the line?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Why do some of you miserable buggers bother following The Albion? You seem to have written off the season already, constantly moaning about recruitment when you know nothing about it. There is no precedent that because we were poor last season,that there hasn't been an improvement with a few signings and a full pre season. You all seem to have an enormous sense of entitlement.
I always thought 'supporting' your football team was an enjoyable experience.
Why not go to a few league games, get behind them and see how you feel then?
After all, what will the constant whinging on here achieve?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
At least they are trying to sign decent players this time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We fanny around with derisory bids for players who are worth more...

I don't want us to go and spend stupid money like some clubs but I just want a bit of honesty. .... unless we sign at least four proven premier league/championship players then we are going to have a tough season again.

Derisory bids - Is £2.25m for Marshall a "derisory bid" ? Perhaps Venkys think so but that would be our 2nd biggest signing ever.
Is Bloom being honest, realistic and arguing as you do that we shouldn't spend "stupid money like other clubs" when he says "we cannot simply open our cheque book and start spending without care or attention. We must continue to run this club as prudently as possible...there is no guarantee of success"
and is Hughton acknowledging as you do that "unless we sign 4 quality players we will struggle" when he says "“We lost eight players at the end of last season and we have now brought four in.
...We still want and need to strengthen and we are working towards that.”

So why don't you believe anything from the club. and why do you think its all "bollocks" ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here