Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On a positive note, "FFP and parachute payments" haven't been rolled out yet. Maybe they are being saved for when we fail to get our targets by the end of the transfer window?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Same s##t different year. You replace the word Hughton for Hyppia and that could almost read word for word as an Argus article a year ago. Wonder if we'll also get the gloating told you so thread from the lickers lambasting the bed wetters as a pile of unproven loans arrive just prior to the transfer window supported by Bloom saying what great business we've done?

Actually virtually on the same day a year ago:

:Hyypia keeps his cool - but he admits 'it’s not an ideal situation'
Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter / Monday 28 July 2014 / Sport

Albion boss Sami Hyypia says it will not be a disaster if the squad is not complete before the big kick-off.
But he has also expressed reservations about the gaps still to be filled in the build-up to Sheffield Wednesday’s opening Championship visit on August 9.
The Seagulls, beaten 2-1 in their penultimate friendly at Peterborough on Saturday, have until September 1 to make more permanent additions.
Hyypia told The Argus: “I think we have enough to get 11 players on the pitch when the season starts but if we can’t get everyone in who we would like to get it’s not a disaster but it’s not an ideal situation either.
“We are working hard to do it. My main task is to get everything out of the squad that we have and that’s what I’m intending to do.
“I think we are making steps in the right direction. I saw more of the right things we need to do in this game than I saw against Crawley (last Wednesday) and that’s very good that the players start to understand what we want from them.”
Hyypia was encouraged by former Barnsley striker Chris O’Grady’s debut at Peterborough, which included setting up Shamir Fenelon’s early goal.
He said: “It was good control and a good pass. He showed already that he has some quality.
“We saw a glimpse of what we can expect from him in the season and when he gets to know his team-mates better it’s only going to get better. I am very happy with how he did in his first game and hopefully he will keep performing.”

Aaron Hughes made his first start in the centre of defence after illness and Hyypia expects Albion’s other signing so far, Nzuzi Toko, to be back training with the rest of the squad today. The African midfielder has missed the last three friendlies with a swollen knee

He even used the same line "We are working hard"

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/113...ut_he_admits__it___s_not_an_ideal_situation_/

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Pretty much the same article written again 12 months later. Do the club have a transfer window press release template?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Same s##t different year. You replace the word Hughton for Hyppia and that could almost read word for word as an Argus article a year ago. Wonder if we'll also get the gloating told you so thread from the lickers lambasting the bed wetters as a pile of unproven loans arrive just prior to the transfer window supported by Bloom saying what great business we've done?

Of course we will: I note that the lickers are already building up momentum, with their 'be patient' BS... they were very wrong last summer, and they are wrong now... still, their arrogance will see them through, they definitely know best...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Working very hard = not imminent

Well, perhaps not imminent then.

Very, very difficult = we are FAILING, and DOOMED to a GRIM season.

Very confident and very, very difficult = We will get the targets we want eventually. He would not say very confident if he had doubts.

When he changes to "hopeful" is the time to get worried.

Cheer up Mr Blue! At least we will not be starting with Fenelon against Forest!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
We could of signed players by now. Ben Marshall for example, clearly for sale but we have not (yet) reached and agreement. Last we heard we bid £1.9m and then £2m when blackburn want £3m. I'm confident that £2.5m would get him but the club simply do not want to spend the required money to get good quality signings in. This is why we are falling behind again. Since the club has been good at keeping targets quite this year, how many others are we just not willing to pay enough for?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well, perhaps not imminent then.

Very confident and very, very difficult = We will get the targets we want eventually. He would not say very confident if he had doubts.

When he changes to "hopeful" is the time to get worried.

Cheer up Mr Blue! At least we will not be starting with Fenelon against Forest!

Yes, that Argus article has depressed me.

However, you are right. We should be able to patch together a reasonable XI for the Forest match, although a new winger in before kick off would be a most welcome boost :rock:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
re: Manager quotes about how the transfer window is going.
Agreed its all very similar. Although for a bit of variety then here's NSC favourite; Dougie Freedman, under pressure at Forest because of FFP and with Lansbury and Antonio under risk of being sold. .

"We do not need the money, we do not need to sell," said Freedman. "I let Jamie Mackie go on a free transfer and people might have thought we were mad to do that. But we needed to balance the books a little and, by letting one player go, it made a massive difference.
"That wage alone, will change the whole situation for us when it comes to the embargo. Next year, I know we will be under the embargo limits. When we have to submit our books in November, even with players coming in, we believe we will be under the embargo limits. The forecast for next July will be £500,000 under. I am under no pressure at all to sell anyone else now."

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Paul-...ngham-Forest/story-27493837-detail/story.html

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
We could of signed players by now. Ben Marshall for example, clearly for sale but we have not (yet) reached and agreement. Last we heard we bid £1.9m and then £2m when blackburn want £3m. I'm confident that £2.5m would get him but the club simply do not want to spend the required money to get good quality signings in. This is why we are falling behind again. Since the club has been good at keeping targets quite this year, how many others are we just not willing to pay enough for?

Has the 2m offer been rejected then? If so, how do you know that the club have not, or are not going to, up their offer again? We have no clue what the club are up to for precisely the reason in bold.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Agreed its all very similar. Although for a bit of variety then here's NSC favourite; Dougie Freedman, under pressure at Forest because of FFP and with Lansbury and Antonio under risk of being sold. .

"We do not need the money, we do not need to sell," said Freedman. "I let Jamie Mackie go on a free transfer and people might have thought we were mad to do that. But we needed to balance the books a little and, by letting one player go, it made a massive difference.
"That wage alone, will change the whole situation for us when it comes to the embargo. Next year, I know we will be under the embargo limits. When we have to submit our books in November, even with players coming in, we believe we will be under the embargo limits. The forecast for next July will be £500,000 under. I am under no pressure at all to sell anyone else now."

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Paul-...ngham-Forest/story-27493837-detail/story.html

Very interesting Paul thanks, is that taken from your Forest programme notes?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Doesn't embargo (a prohibition, a ban) mean no players coming in? Does FFP have ANY teeth at all?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

Of course we will: I note that the lickers are already building up momentum, with their 'be patient' BS... they were very wrong last summer, and they are wrong now... still, their arrogance will see them through, they definitely know best...

I really don't get people like you, you almost seem to enjoy being a smug know it all, I bet you are creaming yourself now at the prospect of telling everyone how you told us all weeks ago that we would fail to have a decent squad in place. Then you seem to enjoy putting a divide amongst fans, the lickers and the bed wetters.
To me you are a waste of space, not because you raise the good point that we do not have a decent squad at the moment, it's more because you come across that you enjoy the fact we are falling short. I would think every fan knows we need to get more players in and the areas where they are needed. I don't think any of us are happy that we have not got more in by now. The difference is that most of us are realists and understand that it's not that easy to go out and find 6/7 quality players and have them all here for pre-season. To be fair if we don't get them, what else do you expect us to do, spend the rest of the season crying about it and rehashing endless I told you so threads about it. Oh and not forgetting the I told you CH wasn't the man to manage Brighton. The club needs stability something we haven't had in a few seasons, get that and I am sure it will improve on the pitch.at least give the manager till the end of October

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I understood they can pay the incoming player no more than the outgoing player was getting. That is my understanding of how it works and I could be well wrong.

The rules are here:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/ne...r-play-season-201314-submissions-2144136.aspx

An initial analysis of Financial Fair Play submissions from the current 24 Championship clubs has indicated that three clubs – Blackburn Rovers, Leeds United and Nottingham Forest – have failed to meet the Fair Play Requirement under the division’s Financial Fair Play rules. Consequently, all three will be subject to an ‘FFP embargo’ under Football League regulations from January 1, 2015 for the remainder of the current campaign.

The Football League is currently in discussions with a number of other clubs over their FFP submissions and will confirm any further FFP embargoes, if any, in due course. It will also now consider submissions from the three clubs promoted to the Premier League and the three clubs relegated to League 1 at the end of the 2013/14 season.

Blackburn, Leeds and Forest all exceeded the maximum permitted deviation of £8m - consisting of a maximum adjusted operating loss of £3m plus a further maximum of £5m of shareholder investment - during the 2013/14 playing season. Each club will have the opportunity to have its FFP embargo lifted at the end of the season by demonstrating that it has stayed within the maximum permitted deviation of £6m (£3m operating loss plus £3m shareholder investment) for the 2014/15 season.

The Football League has also confirmed the way in which FFP embargoes will operate for clubs placed under this sanction.

Clubs will be prohibited from registering any new professional players (permanent contract or loan) unless they have:

• 24 or fewer established players (players aged 21 or over that have made at least 5 starting appearances for the club).

Where clubs have fewer than 24 established players, they will only be permitted to sign players in the following circumstances (with the player in question being added to the club’s list of established players regardless of his age or previous playing experience):

• Where the employee costs of a player being signed are less than £600,000 per annum (or pro-rata if signed on a shorter contract).

Where clubs have 24 established players, they will be permitted to trade on a ‘one out, one in’ basis but only if the employee costs of the player coming in to the club are no more than whichever is the lower amount of:

• 75% of the equivalent costs of the player going out.
• Or a maximum of £600,000 per annum (or pro-rata if signed on shorter contract)

In addition:

• Clubs under an FFP embargo will be permitted to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency basis (in line with existing regulations).
• Clubs under an FFP embargo will not be permitted to pay transfer fees or compensation fees for professional players.
• Clubs under an FFP embargo will not be permitted to pay a loan fee to another club, they may only pay the player’s wage (or a contribution towards it).
• For incoming players, clubs can only pay Agents’ Fees as a benefit in kind to the player in question (as long as they do not exceed the £600,000 employee costs limit).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here