Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Still 6 weeks to go. That said we need to bring a least one more in before Forest. The real starting gun for recruitment is likely to be when PL teams have to name their squads for the coming season. Once those squads are named there will be a group of good championship level players available for sale or loan and the club will want to have funds available for them.

It's frustrating but I think we have a few weeks to wait yet...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Still 6 weeks to go. That said we need to bring a least one more in before Forest. The real starting gun for recruitment is likely to be when PL teams have to name their squads for the coming season. Once those squads are named there will be a group of good championship level players available for sale or loan and the club will want to have funds available for them.

A good point, I'd not considered the PL squads.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I have a lot more faith in Hughton, whom I consider a safe pair of hands, than I did with Sami. With Sami, I remember very little transfer activity followed by the ominous "I only wants to sign players who will improve his squad." Now, other than the loan signing of Tex, and the additions of Stockdale and Baldock (both decent) the majority were bench warmers. Danny Holla, Paddy McCourt, Adrian Colunga, Chris O'Grady, Nzuzi Toko. Did they improve the squad or swallow up valuable wages? How many top Championship players could we have had with the combined wages of Holla/McCourt/Colunga? Of course you never know, we could have signed a massive flop and hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, I think it's true to say that towards the end there was just a definite sense of desperation transfer wise. I honestly don't think we could identify the right players and if we could I don't think we were able to find the fee they'd command. The fee will be an issue for the foreseeable for clubs like us, but I'm confident Hughton knows what a good Championship player looks like.

I'm much more comfortable with Hughton's methods. I'm a little sad to be seeing the end of a tippy-tappy 433 but if Hughton thinks his strengths as a manager lies with a 442 then that's his decision to make. He knows what players work in that system and he's working hard to fill the gaps. We're in for a transitional period - Poyet's team have either moved on or got old - Sami's team? Well the less said about them the better. I don't think this will be a season for "We're f***ing brilliant" or "Hughton out!" chants. It'll see us guide to a steady midtable position and build. That kind of talk doesn't sell season tickets of course but I'd be surprised if that wasn't Blooms expectation for the coming campaign. Give Hughton a couple of seasons to get the squad he wants together. He's got teams out of this league before and I think he'll see us promoted - just not this season.

One of the most sensible posts I've seen for a long time :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is a bit bizarre in a team that was pretty sound at the back but had major issues scoring that we are less than 2 weeks to the first game and we have only added 1 player likely to improve the goal scoring problem.

Are we ready - no , we may get lucky for a game or 2 but not ready at all.

Will we be - possibly but signings needed , we all know this but when who knows. Issues there for sure

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

What is the deadline for the 25 man squad announcement? I'd really hope that we would be in line to get Tex back if he doesn't make Liverpool's squad.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Who cares what anyone says in pre-season? Who cares about results in pre-season? The answer should be no-body.

All there is going to be is a bunch of semi-positive sound-bites farmed out to the media whilst the real work goes on behind the scenes. Our squad is unlikely o be complete until mid-August at the earliest anyway, so chill out, enjoy the friendlies and stop being so miserable.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I have a lot more faith in Hughton, whom I consider a safe pair of hands, than I did with Sami. With Sami, I remember very little transfer activity followed by the ominous "I only wants to sign players who will improve his squad." Now, other than the loan signing of Tex, and the additions of Stockdale and Baldock (both decent) the majority were bench warmers. Danny Holla, Paddy McCourt, Adrian Colunga, Chris O'Grady, Nzuzi Toko. Did they improve the squad or swallow up valuable wages? How many top Championship players could we have had with the combined wages of Holla/McCourt/Colunga? Of course you never know, we could have signed a massive flop and hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, I think it's true to say that towards the end there was just a definite sense of desperation transfer wise. I honestly don't think we could identify the right players and if we could I don't think we were able to find the fee they'd command. The fee will be an issue for the foreseeable for clubs like us, but I'm confident Hughton knows what a good Championship player looks like.

I'm much more comfortable with Hughton's methods. I'm a little sad to be seeing the end of a tippy-tappy 433 but if Hughton thinks his strengths as a manager lies with a 442 then that's his decision to make. He knows what players work in that system and he's working hard to fill the gaps. We're in for a transitional period - Poyet's team have either moved on or got old - Sami's team? Well the less said about them the better. I don't think this will be a season for "We're f***ing brilliant" or "Hughton out!" chants. It'll see us guide to a steady midtable position and build. That kind of talk doesn't sell season tickets of course but I'd be surprised if that wasn't Blooms expectation for the coming campaign. Give Hughton a couple of seasons to get the squad he wants together. He's got teams out of this league before and I think he'll see us promoted - just not this season.

Good post - not sure i agree with Stockdale & Baldock being both decent though? - very much jury out on both im afraid. The other signings you highlighted are bang on though - simply panic buys to make up the numbers and not good enough, i would rather have less signings but real quality than just getting players in who are no better or worse than we currently have.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Who cares what anyone says in pre-season? Who cares about results in pre-season? The answer should be no-body.

I do.

The pre-season 'Friendlies' are THE chance for the squad to give 110% effort and showcase their abilities, in order to show Hughton that they deserve a place in his first 11.

The effort, performance and ability that we've seen (bar the first 45 minutes at Crawley), has been pretty dire.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
"we’re not shying away from the fact that we still need to bring bodies in to improve the squad.” - Hughton last week.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13489285.Albion_rebuilding_may_spill_over_into_season/
Its hardly a secret that Hughton is targeting and will make 4 signings, expected to be a striker, winger, CB, attacking midfielder just like everyone else on here who says we need a striker, winger, CB...

So he is stating the same as Hyppia did last season, but phrased in a different way,

Hyppia a straight forward we are not ready
Hughton we will be ready, but are not ready YET

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
One more quality signing in the next few days and we'll all be feeling better about next season. Then hopefully the other 2/3 will follow. Not panicking here (yet).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So he is stating the same as Hyppia did last season, but phrased in a different way,

Hyppia a straight forward we are not ready
Hughton we will be ready, but are not ready YET

Not sure we going to get very far predicting how the season is going to turn out based on several throwaway interviews with the Argus in July but yes they are saying similar things.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You do realise he was being INTERVIEWED right?

It's not like we were about to close a deal and Chris stood up from the player negotiation and said "sorry chaps. I just need to go and tell everyone we will be ready for the season"
Too many failures to deliver. Sorry if that contradicts your rosy 'club are perfect' view.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Not sure we going to get very far predicting how the season is going to turn out based on several throwaway interviews with the Argus in July but yes they are saying similar things.

I agree and was not picking on you, but another manager still hoping to get his side together before the first game, is a little bit of same old, same old to me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Good post - not sure i agree with Stockdale & Baldock being both decent though? - very much jury out on both im afraid. The other signings you highlighted are bang on though - simply panic buys to make up the numbers and not good enough, i would rather have less signings but real quality than just getting players in who are no better or worse than we currently have.

I think Stockdale and Baldock suffered with lack of form/injury respectively, unfortunately they weren't alone last season. I think form and ability are very different beasts. Both players, I'm sure, will prove to be very capable players at this level - we've just not seen the best of them yet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's a good point actually. Although we are never ready in July neither is almost anyone else. That's the whole reason for the deadline day deal hype. I wouldn't leave it all to the last minute like we did last season but we haven't. We have been active and that's because we have a manager in situ for the first time in two years that was here last season.

We do have an issue regarding our attacking strength as far as I'm concerned but that's as much to do with a couple of poor decisions this time last year rather than anything Hughton's done or said. Get those players in next and everyone will calm down IMO.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree and was not picking on you, but another manager still hoping to get his side together before the first game, is a little bit of same old, same old to me.

How many managers in the Championship have finished their transfer business ? I'd guess. None.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I do.

The pre-season 'Friendlies' are THE chance for the squad to give 110% effort and showcase their abilities, in order to show Hughton that they deserve a place in his first 11.

The effort, performance and ability that we've seen (bar the first 45 minutes at Crawley), has been pretty dire.

I know what you mean, I just cannot bring myself to care about pre-season to that level. I know the performances are a good indicator to a degree, but that's pretty much it. If the effort is pretty dire vs. Forest, then I'll be concerned. After last season it seems that people are looking so hard for negatives that it's sucking all the excitement out of the new season.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Sadly I just read that interview as meaning we will be fit and organised come the start rather than the obvious deficiencies in the squad will be plugged. I have a feeling we may be starting the season as we are now with signings to come later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here