Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton has to listen to his own players ....the fans ... the critics ....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tomorrow is basically a game between two championship (standard) lineups, so we should go with our once-trusted championship formation.....................desperate times and all that...................

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The problem with this game is that it probably should be treated with the usual Hughton caution of keeping solid defensively, hard to break down and then nick a goal. After the s***tshow on saturday though, anything less than all out attack is going to have the crowd on his back

I don’t necessarily want all out attack, but I do want see something different, something to catch the opposition out. If we stick to 4-3-3 they’ll know everything we’re going to try and do. If Hughton isn’t prepared to use his imagination then I’m afraid his gambling our safety for the sake of being stubborn.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don’t necessarily want all out attack, but I do want see something different, something to catch the opposition out. If we stick to 4-3-3 they’ll know everything we’re going to try and do. If Hughton isn’t prepared to use his imagination then I’m afraid his gambling our safety for the sake of being stubborn.

Let's be honest, this "433" that everyone apparently thinks we're playing very quickly morphs into 451 in the majority of games. At least a further attacker would mean our wide men have, in theory at least, an extra man to hit in the box. It would also mean that we'd have two men up against the oppositions' CB pairing which makes it much harder for them to outnumber us in our attacking areas.

Unfortunately, I think once a way of playing is so ingrained into a team by a manager, a sudden mentality switch becomes very difficult. We saw at the weekend against a fast, counter attacking side, that being more progressive and being higher up the pitch was something we struggled with as we didn't know when or who to press, and we struggled to understand when to drop back. This left a ton of space in behind. Luckily for us, Cardiff don't have anything like the same pace that B-Mouth do on the break, so if he does push us higher up the pitch there should be less threat on the counter from Cardiff.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
The odd thing is, I'm sure that's exactly what we've done at the Amex against both Arsenal and Manchester United in these two seasons in the Premier League and we've beaten both.

I've no idea why Chris doesn't think we can do it more often. :shrug:
We also did it against palace at home and away as well but to a bit
of a lesser degree and it’s no surprise we got something
We must get at them tomorrow night from the off
That will have consequences namely the west and south west will open up
North will be loud and proud and maybe even some effort from the east
Come on golf let’s have an effort like Sheff Wed in the play off semi
or Palace at home this season
Belt GOSBTS out as loud as you can forget about poor tactics
lack of effort all that shit maybe true but the 11 need us tomorrow night
Every f...ing one Jack of ya
We will ****ing win and we will survive
Mine Eyes have seen the glory
.......AND THE STRIPES GO MARCHING
ON ON ON UTA

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I mean if we lose we're going to be playing Championship football. Cardiff are playing like a Championship side at present, just like us. Go back to 4-4-2.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I can't see it happening either, but I would love to see it.

The lone striker formation does not work when that striker is isolated.
We have been proving this for months and months, regardless of who starts.
Regardless of who we are playing. (Palace excepted)

But against Palace we were so much more positive and did move the ball quickly. Not sure what changed since then.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
His current style of play will never work...............because we don't have pacey, attacking, creative midfielders who can command and run at defenders.

Two seasons played and one goal apiece for Stephens and Propper !!!!! That is ****ing woeful !!!!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Tomorrow is all about effort and getting a result. Let Hughton start thinking about tactical changes once we are safe. Wholesale changes now won't help. As other posters have said, tomorrow is a game where we mustn't let Cardiff get in front with a soft goal, or any goal for that matter. Would be v happy with the most boring 1-0 ever .... then when we are safe let's think about how we move forward.... tactics and personnel.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The odd thing is, I'm sure that's exactly what we've done at the Amex against both Arsenal and Manchester United in these two seasons in the Premier League and we've beaten both.

I've no idea why Chris doesn't think we can do it more often. :shrug:

And we certainly did it in the Sheff Weds play-off. I remember the Guardian review saying something like the referee not blowing the whistle for the start of the game, but firing the starting gun. CH can play that way.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Despite watching the best part of 750 live football matches formations and tactics tend to go over my head .

Fantastic and bold confession there, I always assumed it was just me. I lack the brain to focus on more than usually where the ball is and am always amazed by those who can rattle off indepth post-match analysis/critiques of just about every player on the pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can understand CH listening to the players and their wishes but not fans or critics.

or pundits?

The warning signs were the failure to score goals from open play this season compared to last season. The good thing was scoring from set pieces and the not conceding from set pieces this season.

I don't see why Dunk cannot move forward if a midfielder plugs the gap and the full backs do not go AWOL.

I don't see why we need two wingers. We can only play on one wing at a time. Second striker and a full back can go wide to switch the play suddenly.

el punal

Despite watching the best part of 750 live football matches formations and tactics tend to go over my head . However it's clear to me that Hughton needs to listen to his own inner cabinet . Murray and Andone have expressed a desire to play together - one strong , tall, experienced guy and the other a short , fast , aggressive guy . Little and large if you like . The oldest formula in the book . Rather than than running around on their own like lost dogs up front why not give them each someone to play off . It's just obvious is n't it ? When Hughton took Andone off for Murray on Saturday and we were 2-0 down that was the beginning of the end for Hughton I believe

A blind belief in sticking to his formula when all around him disagree . ( remind you of anyone else) Zero goals in 4 games and 6 shots on target . The facts simply do not lie .

Let's have a go at Cardiff from the off - 2 up front - and just show some passion from the off . If we go one ahead we'll win that game.

And, if we are 1 0 down, and you leave, then shame on you and don't bother to come back .

Well, in just over 24 hours we’ll find out. For some mad and incomprehensible reason I’m looking forward to the game. Put that down to the disastrous performance on Saturday and the need for the players to rectify the situation and redeem themselves. The bonus in the drama stakes is that our opponents are Cardiff who currently hold pole position for the big drop. Let’s hope we keep it that way come 10.00 pm tomorrow.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Let's be honest, this "433" that everyone apparently thinks we're playing very quickly morphs into 451 in the majority of games. At least a further attacker would mean our wide men have, in theory at least, an extra man to hit in the box. It would also mean that we'd have two men up against the oppositions' CB pairing which makes it much harder for them to outnumber us in our attacking areas.

Unfortunately, I think once a way of playing is so ingrained into a team by a manager, a sudden mentality switch becomes very difficult. We saw at the weekend against a fast, counter attacking side, that being more progressive and being higher up the pitch was something we struggled with as we didn't know when or who to press, and we struggled to understand when to drop back. This left a ton of space in behind. Luckily for us, Cardiff don't have anything like the same pace that B-Mouth do on the break, so if he does push us higher up the pitch there should be less threat on the counter from Cardiff.

I agree. PS: I had trepidations before the Bournemouth game as Bournemouth had scored scored more goals on the counter attack than any other team, including Liverpool in the PL. And that was before the game started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here