Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton has "gone for it" but has just been unlucky

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Is CH yesterday’s man, to now get out of our club?

Not at all, just your post suggests his previously more defence-minded team was his, and this new more attacking side is actually being picked by certain sections of NSC. He's chosen to change it.
So, given our form, he knew what worked, but seems to have forgotten.
Or we are just unlucky. Or we were lucky before Christmas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you mean as a pair? Because Propper's arguably our best player.

In this new system I don't think they're any arguing about that, in the slightest.

Sadly (as said elsewhere) where the new system has bought out the very best in Propper, it's made everybody else shitehouse.

Even if the other 10 players had stayed at their previous level the Albion would be comfortably midtable.
If they had bettered themselves to the extent Propper has we'd be challenging for the Everton Cup.

As it is, everyone who had stature to lose has done so, which is why they're now staring down the barrel of a relegation dog fight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In this new system I don't think they're any arguing about that, in the slightest.

Sadly (as said elsewhere) where the new system has bought out the very best in Propper, it's made everybody else shitehouse.

Even if the other 10 players had stayed at their previous level the Albion would be comfortably midtable.
If they had bettered themselves to the extent Propper has we'd be challenging for the Everton Cup.

As it is, everyone who had stature to lose has done so, which is why they're now staring down the barrel of a relegation dog fight.

Fair comment.

Honest to mention that so many players have been sub par. Far more plausible than it’s the fault of refs or lady luck.

D

Deleted member 2719

Unlucky or...just not prepared??

It was in November last year when Hughton talked about his views on the forthcoming Winter transfer window, he was asked whether he would be looking at new signings.
His answer was along the lines of that he was happy with the squad of players he'd got already, and that he wouldn't be looking to change too much.

I can well remember that answer, mainly because...
1. I thought how silly it was to have that view, especially knowing how poorly we play through the midfield (far too slowly).
2. How much we rely on one (ageing) striker to get most of our goals.
3. How bad our ball retention is, especially in the oppositions half.

Fast forward to where we are presently at...
How does that lack of transfer window activity look to you as an Albion fan now?
Did you have the same view as I did at that time, or did you agree with what Hughton said?

Spot on I was saying the same also.
Others strengthened and we had our predictable weakness, like you said we lacked paced in central midfield, but I also believe there isn't much pace right through the spine of the team. In fact I am giving 20 + years and don't train like they do and I still think I could take a few of them over 5 - 20m race. Ps Bissouma not included!
Hughton has to feel his job is in serious threat if he doesn't take 3 points from woeful Huddersfield.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spot on I was saying the same also.
Others strengthened and we had our predictable weakness, like you said we lacked paced in central midfield, but I also believe there isn't much pace right through the spine of the team. In fact I am giving 20 + years and don't train like they do and I still think I could take a few of them over 5 - 20m race. Ps Bissouma not included!
Hughton has to feel his job is in serious threat if he doesn't take 3 points from woeful Huddersfield.

Only the most overly positive fan could deny we lack pace and our CM isn’t that strong.

The club must know it.

I simply think the transfer quartet of TB/PB/PW/CH are not prepared to pay the fees and huge wages demanded for PL ‘certs’ allegedly giving us that. Palace, Everton and Leicester do, but boy do they make some hugely expensive cock ups along the way.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Are you an idiot Bozza? It means things like when you pick your numbers for a lottery ticket, pick the winning ones, don't pick losing numbers - that is making your own luck my friend.

Also, when you are walking about, look on the floor and you might find money. But don't lose your money by not paying attention.

A third one for you; when you are fishing, cast your line into an area with fish. Not an area devoid of all marine life.

THIS STUFF IS EASY BOZZA. A real man makes his own luck.

Ahh that explains why I am not a millionaire.
You clearly must be as you have found the secret of picking the winning numbers.
How does one do that before the draw?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m not sure I fully understand the graph thingy in the original article but zero points for “fast attacking” sounds about right, and is the reason we look about as dangerous as a muzzled puppy when we play away

D

Deleted member 2719

Only the most overly positive fan could deny we lack pace and our CM isn’t that strong.

The club must know it.

I simply think the transfer quartet of TB/PB/PW/CH are not prepared to pay the fees and huge wages demanded for PL ‘certs’ allegedly giving us that. Palace, Everton and Leicester do, but boy do they make some hugely expensive cock ups along the way.

Surely they could find an extra bob or two from another PB added tax to maintain our Premier League status, oh no that where he gets his wage increase.
How loyal do you think TB and PB can be with Hughton as the stakes are so high??? Huddersfield game? Next 3 games? Surely they must have talked about the situation?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely they could find an extra bob or two from another PB added tax to maintain our Premier League status, oh no that where he gets his wage increase.
How loyal do you think TB and PB can be with Hughton as the stakes are so high??? Huddersfield game? Next 3 games? Surely they must have talked about the situation?

All personal opinions, here’s mine:
1. We’ll beat Hudd tomorrow. Just hope one of our players doesn’t get himself sent off to spoil that and possibly our season.
2. I take one game at a time, so I’ll think about the others later.
3. The Board (please don’t blame [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] the guessing messenger) will stick with CH whatever happens, he’ll be our manager in August unless he walks. TB is a loyal bloke and won’t shit on CH after all he’s done for him/us.

ps Enjoy tomorrow - you might see a lovely win.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

All personal opinions, here’s mine:
1. We’ll beat Hudd tomorrow. Just hope one of our players doesn’t get himself sent off to spoil that and possibly our season.
2. I take one game at a time, so I’ll think about the others later.
3. The Board (please don’t blame [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] the guessing messenger) will stick with CH whatever happens, he’ll be our manager in August unless he walks. TB is a loyal bloke and won’t shit on CH after all he’s done for him/us.

ps Enjoy tomorrow - you might see a lovely win.

Although I think Tony is loyal surely if he thinks a manager change will get us an extra few points and another season in the rich Premier League he has to take it.
Like you said all opinions.
Let's face it no game is easy but Huddersfield at home is the easiest, so let's hope the whole squad and management put the right plan and action to bring home the 3 points we badly need.
Come on the Albion.:albion2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I think Tony is loyal surely if he thinks a manager change will get us an extra few points and another season in the rich Premier League he has to take it.
Like you said all opinions.
Let's face it no game is easy but Huddersfield at home is the easiest, so let's hope the whole squad and management put the right plan and action to bring home the 3 points we badly need.
Come on the Albion.:albion2:

Praying that CH’s selection and tactics are progressive, pacey, set out to win the CM battle and for once we come out of the blocks at our best game. If yes, 4-0.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My impression of Chris is that he has always delivered what has been asked of him.
On his appointment his brief was keep us in the Championship, which he did.
His first full season he was asked to get to the playoffs. He did.
His next season he was told the target is top two but playoffs at least. He did by getting top two.
His third season he was tasked with keeping us up.
Pretty sure that this is his brief this season as well.
He has delivered so far so why are we questioning him now?
The cup runs last season and this are a bonus.
I am still team Chris!

Lovely post.
I'll add something else about his first full season: I'm a JCL, but that was the most exciting season I've had as an Albion fan. He managed to combine the defensive solidity that he'd developed in his first half season (developed to the exclusion of all else, but when you've got CMS, COG and Leon Worst as your options, what else do you expect?), and allied to it a varied, pragmatic attacking style. We started scoring all sorts of goals. Add in the stardust of Knockaert in the January window, and it was just an utter delight.
I'm still team Chris, but we have to accept if we don't get a win tomorrow, things are going to turn nasty. If we don't get a win tomorrow and we play badly, then things will turn really nasty, and Tony may well have a decision to make, for the first time since Chris has taken over.
If we win tomorrow, then I'm of the view that it makes our fixtures against Cardiff and Southampton that much easier, and we'll only need to win one of those; if we don't win tomorrow, then in all likelihood we'll have to win both, and that may well be a tall order.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was all going so well after December, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tinkered with something that didn't need tinkering with.

It's that balancing act between results and entertainment and I reckon Mr Bloom would rather have the results.

The problem was with the first '1' in the 4-4-1-1. Gross was imperious -- by our standards -- last season but, increasingly, teams will find ways to counteract him as the 'surprise factor' diminishes. I'm not entirely convinced that anyone else in our squad can play that role so well. Add in that he has suffered the worst injury in his career, probably dipped in form a bit, and that CH -- quite rightly -- is of the view that he needs to accommodate other players. I think Bissouma and Propper playing in advance of Stephens will help us tear the comparatively weak opposition that we face in our forthcoming home fixtures. I really don't see the problem with the formation change, although I might be wrong on this.
If you disagree with what I'm saying (which is fine), it might be better to read this alongside my post from a few minutes back.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I will be astonished if TB sacks Chris Hughton. As far as I understand it, TB identifies the right person to do a job then trusts him or her to get on with it, or to delegate someone else to do it. You can't say that CH is failing when, with a little luck and better finishing we could have beaten ten-man Leicester if Vardy had been correctly sent off for that assault on Davy Propper. He'll let Chris do the job until he succeeds or doesn't. And anyway, who is there to step in? Mark Hughes? Big Sam? Ranieri? Puel? Do me a favour. Bilic or Jokanovic I could stomach but CH is our man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here